• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Self-advocacy

Andrew206

I’ve attempted to advocate for myself many times, but I’ve been met with a lot of resistance. I think I’ve gotten better over time advocating for myself, and knowing what my needs are.

Knowing your needs is key to advocating for yourself. With time, you’ll get better at it.

The hardest thing for me is well meaning people who just don't understand that I can't handle some things that they can. (And not allowing myself to get drawn into the temptation to do something that I know I can't handle, just because it sounds like a lot of fun.) People don't seem to recognize that my boundaries exist for a reason...I'm not saying I can't stay up all night and party because I feel bad about myself and just need to be pushed into a new experience...I'm saying I can't stay up all night and party because I know from experience if I do it's going to end badly.

The "you're young, you can do anything!" crowd is relentless!!!! (LOL one of my favorite things about getting older is that I no longer have to deal with them so much anymore.)

Part of being able to self-advocate, at least when talking about working for a company, is asking for accommodations in a manner that will benefit the company. If the company sees no direct correlation to provide you with such an accommodation, and if they are under no law or such to have to provide that particular accommodation, they are not likely to provide it. Frame things in a way that make it in a way that by the company providing that accommodation, they will maximize your productivity/bottom line. Be cordial about it even if you're "faking it" enough - at least enough to get what you need. Focus on what you need and not the manner in which you have to go about to get what you need.

Yeah, people even mock it. "Oh----how cute. Self advocacy..." They know a person in need is a person without power.

Self advocation is hard, and hard to get right. For me, it’s even hard to remember that I need to do it, instead of just quietly trying to deal with whatever comes my way.

There have been times when I have tried to be assertive and have crossed a line into rude, offensive behavior.

It’s just hard to get right.

Self advocation is hard, and hard to get right. For me, it’s even hard to remember that I need to do it, instead of just quietly trying to deal with whatever comes my way.

There have been times when I have tried to be assertive and have crossed a line into rude, offensive behavior.

It’s just hard to get right.
Self-advocacy is truly hard to get right. Especially when you just want your needs to be met.

New Threads

Top Bottom