• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Selective Mutism..?

elements

Anyone else struggle with this?
Talking feels like agony most of the time, unless the situation is just right.
Sometimes wish i could tattoo "selective mute" on my forehead so people wouldnt get the wrong idea.

Then people get annoyed and the more annoyed they get the less I can say because the emotional tension pushes all the words further and further down. I'd switch to sign language entirely if I could but no one else in my social circles understands it.

What use is there to talking when people don't listen?
Ok there is

I am definetly not selectively mute, but with most people it's difficult to comprehend what to say properly and I just end up being frustrated

I had selective mutism from ages of about 13-18. At school I couldn't get a word out. It was as if all words just left me when I needed to respond something or someone. My mind went blank and my mouth stopped working. It was distressing and embarrassing. I shrank into myself. It just got worse. At home I could talk, but, it was a jumbled mess. I felt like a monster. The fact that I heard that people thought I was just arrogant made it worse.
I could only talk in text. But. It got better. I talked to people one on one outside the setting that made it that way, outside of school after I finished. Slowly I practiced saying small things to people. Eventually it got better. It will get better. Talking won't feel so agonising once you get out of the scenario that is setting it off and you can practice outside of it. Find a safe space. With a person you trust and care for that is not your family. Small steps will help. Small. Occasional. But persistent. You can gain your speech back.

Hi. I don't know what selective mutism is but I can try to tell you what happens with me if I can put it in to words.
Ever since I can remember I never enjoyed talking, why?
My mind is empty sometimes;
Sometimes it is to full...and 5 minutes conversation with someone is not enough to put it all out, so I don't even start;

Other times I try to talk but people don't understand the logic behind what I say;
Other times I don't understand their logic;
I can't stand small talk or gossip;
Many times I have the sensation that people are faking or lying or exaggerating...I can not tell for sure if my sensation is accurate so I just isolate myself more and more;
For all these reasons I just observe and listen. People consider me just shy and introvert.
Sometimes I lose my patience, sometimes it is super hard just to say yes or no, so when I speak people see it as being aggressive or being cold, they don't know the effort it takes to say a simple word.
But now I make the effort to explain that I am not good at communication or that I am having a bad day and I also apologise when necessary.
The fact that I rarely speak protects me from getting in to trouble, but it also keeps good people out of my life...
I hope to start learning how to communicate better and how to break this circle.
Does this makes sense to you?

New Threads

Top Bottom