• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Seeing aspie ex boyfriend Thursday help!

Empathic

Hello I am new to this forum and I am hoping I may be able to get some input/help. I am 42yrs have 3 teenage children my ex-boyfriend is 41yrs. Sadly I realised to late that my ex-boyfriend has every symptom of Aspergers. He never came to my house and I gave him space I found this very weird that he would only see me every second weekend when he came up from the farm to his house which was 10 mins from me. I would then have to go over there and spend the weekend. I tried to go down the farm a few times during the month. I accepted that was the way it had to be. Eventually he sold his house and moved down to the farm 1.5 hours away. He made an effort to come up once a week and see me. I went down as often as I could. After a month or so his mum became sick and went to hospital which she then went to live with the sister. He changed and got very angry kept saying his sister had won, he had lost his mum and she would bleed his mum dry and then wouldn’t be happy till his mum was in the ground. Then he would kill his sister. His anger was awful and became very scary.

I need to add here that his history he had a son at 28yrs and it was not planned to be honest I think she got pregnant on purpose. She made his life hell when they broke up and in the end when his son was 11yrs he stopped bothering to try and see him wrote his son off completely. He had a 10 yr relationship with a woman 10 years his senior before me and he said she told him it was the farm and his mum or her. He chose the farm. She left he still messages her a bit but she doesn’t respond much. I think he still holds onto that relationship in his head. He said that she wouldn’t have sex with him and they argued a lot.

I only wish I could get an argument out of him at least stuff could get sorted. He just shuts down!!

He had a calf die on the farm and he finally broke down and cried. Fortunately I was on the farm with him so I hugged him and let him cry his grief out. It wasn’t just the calf it was his mum and everything that had happened. Long story short he has ended up having to drive down to his mums for 3 nights to stay with her she did not stay long at the sisters. Him and I had a disagreement he used my children as an excuse to not come up to my house anymore. I said to him he would have used any excuse to not come up because it would take him away from the farm. He told me his list of priorities was his mum the farm, his 2 days work and then me. When he gets overwhelmed things start dropping off the list surprise ME. He changed became very speratic texts which he texted never really called. I would call him and he would get angry on the phone so it wasn’t worth the call.

I would say to him I love you and he would never say it back. I said to him if you died tomorrow you knew I loved you, if I died tomorrow I don’t know that you loved me. He said he was like his dad in that respect by the way certain 100% his dad was aspergers. His mum I truly believer suffers from Cassandra Syndrome. I must also put in here that he was the baby of the family his mum was 42yrs old when he was born. He was pretty much an only child at home from the age of 4yrs.

I need to add here that the farm he moved to is his Brothers. It is only 60 acres too!! A hobby farm. He is obsessed with the farm to the point that he will take days off work to do things on the farm. He even made going to his mums later and later so he could spend more time on the farm. He sold his house up here near me and profited $150,000 which was February and bought a new ute new motorbike and the rest spent it on the Farm!! He never gave any money to his brother to help with the mortgage!! 5 months and the money is all gone!!

He never paid his mum much interest before her being in hospital. He would answer her calls hours later. Would see her 1 time a month or once every 6 weeks.

He said to me he just wants to do what makes him happy and that may sound selfish that’s the way it is.

I have messaged him and he answers, I was the one that turnt my fb to single he removed me and bloked me. I was tired of everyday I felt like crying for 2 weeks but could not bring myself to break down and cry.

We had a great relationship he was so happy on the farm which made me happy, before his mum having her turn which by the way she will be around a long time to come and I was the one put on the back burner. He said that his time is with his mum in other words don't go there. I understand now that everything does get overwhelming in his world us NTs we work everything in together. He works to a list. I did ask him is it easier for me to come down instead of him coming up so he could get more done and he said no its ok.

When I see him this Thursday I am going to tell him I believe he is aspie. I am going to explain its not a bad thing and there are many great people who are aspies. I don’t know how any of this is going to go down. I really don’t have anything to loose. I did email him and said I loved him and wanted him in my life and me in his. He did not respond to that email which is ok.

I am sorry I have so much I could write I think I covered the basics. I believe he does love me and even after 6 weeks of us apart I still believe he does he is just overwhelmed and can’t see time between his mum and his obsession.

My question is this. I want him back for all his floors and quirks and he is truly wonderful just when he has the melt downs they hurt but I truly think knowing the aspie side I can handle it all better. Is there anything that I can say or do that may make him think of working it out slowly? I know most aspies don’t think they need anyone and maybe they don’t but I want my aspie!! I am curious when saying things is giving an example a good thing? I was going to ask him if he still loves me? Is that wise at this stage? If nothing else at least i will have closure. Oh I forgot to add that he came off his antidepressants a month before his mum went to hospital. He is also ocd and adhd and suffers depression.

Any help at all would be great I really am at a lose. Thank you in advance

P.S I think his mum may have seen me as a threat too so not sure if she gave him advice. She did tell me once that if she didn't have him she would be lost. Kind of feels he took on his mum as his girlfriend and dropped me off. I do not say that in a derogatory way either I care for her just hard to understand.

welcome.png

So what do you gain by telling him he is aspie? If he is, he is likely to not take it well - we tend to want to discover things on our own.

So what do you gain by telling him he is aspie? If he is, he is likely to not take it well - we tend to want to discover things on our own.

This man struggles with life he blames it on depression. I love him and honestly the pain I see in him with his struggles and not understanding why when he is down with his mum, he just thinks about things he could be doing on the farm. I don't hope to gain anything. I love this man and truly would give him the world if I could. I want him to know he isn't a bad person for the way he thinks.

Welcome. He might be on the spectrum, but does telling him change anything? I see you believe Aspies feel like they don't need anyone, where did you get that idea?

As for your ex, I can't really give you any advice as I don't know the guy.

you either like him the way he is or you don't ,
sticking a label on him will not change him, he will still be who he is
(1) sticking a label on him will most likely make him very defensive, its hard enough dealing with limitations without someone you care for stickling a label on you which is considered a stigma by many
(2) some people are 'fixers', step one, stick a label on a person and then try to fix that person, i've had it done to me, in essence you are telling someone you want them but not for who they are

basically i believe it's a 'take it or leave it' proposition

re his priorities: in my opinion, you can choose to take it personally or you can try to understand the 'why' behind it , you can clearly see he needs stability, change (moving house) or new people (children) is clearly difficult for him
priority 1: mother: known her for the longest, is predictable and he trusts her, probably someone who has accepted him for who he is
priority 2: farm: probably the second largest constant in his life, the farm allows for a routine and animals can calm him down
priority 3: job: probably took a long time to find, probably gives him the validation he needs
priority 4: relationships (you): past relationships have taught (erroneously) him that women are generally unreliable, unreasonable, inflict pain, have extreme demands, don't respect him for who he is,... i.e. remarkably he still thinks its still something that is worth doing but needs to approached carefully, i.e. slow and careful bonding, something to be disposed of at the first sign of danger,

at the end of the day he probably has trusted you enough to give you a chance to disprove his past experience, probably not an opportunity he would give just anyone

so he ranks things by reliability and stability, based on the stability he likely needs, imo its not meant personally

(1) sticking a label on him will most likely make him very defensive, its hard enough dealing with limitations without someone you care for stickling a label on you which is considered a stigma by many
(2) some people are 'fixers', step one, stick a label on a person and then try to fix that person, i've had it done to me, in essence you are telling someone you want them but not for who they are

re his priorities: in my opinion, you can choose to take it personally or you can try to understand the 'why' behind it , you can clearly see he needs stability, change (moving house) or new people (children) is clearly difficult for him
priority 1: mother: known her for the longest, is predictable and he trusts her, probably someone who has accepted him for who he is
priority 2: farm: probably the second largest constant in his life, the farm allows for a routine and animals can calm him down
priority 3: job: probably took a long time to find, probably gives him the validation he needs
priority 4: relationships (you): past relationships have taught (erroneously) him that women are generally unreliable, unreasonable, inflict pain, have extreme demands, don't respect him for who he is,... i.e. remarkably he still thinks its still something that is worth doing but needs to approached carefully, i.e. slow and careful bonding, something to be disposed of at the first sign of danger,

at the end of the day he probably has trusted you enough to give you a chance to disprove his past experience, probably not an opportunity he would give just anyone

so he ranks things by reliability and stability, based on the stability he likely needs, imo its not meant personally

I couldn't have put it better myself, everything said here.

Welcome. He might be on the spectrum, but does telling him change anything? I see you believe Aspies feel like they don't need anyone, where did you get that idea?

As for your ex, I can't really give you any advice as I don't know the guy.

Thank you. No it probably doesn't make a difference, but he does take things on board. It always felt he was stand off and kept me at bay. As if he was gonna be hurt

Thank you

There was never any way I would not accept him for who he is. Yes sadly I am aware of the stigma of peoples narrow mindedness. You have given me heaps to think about. Yes I agree with you that his past has got a lot to do with his present. I have tried time and again to let him know. I will talk to him Thursday. I just really don't know how to tell him I get him. I miss him alot. Thanks again!!

I'm in love with my Aspie.. he is how he is... he has no formal diagnosis, I would only increase his anxiety and hurt him if I broached the subject.

It's baby steps all the way. If as he is is enough then great. But don't think he will change, he won't, small indications that he is comfortable with you and increasing trust is all you can hope for... but that's massive for him. See it for the value it has. Appreciate his worth.

I'm in love with my Aspie.. he is how he is... he has no formal diagnosis, I would only increase his anxiety and hurt him if I broached the subject.

It's baby steps all the way. If as he is is enough then great. But don't think he will change, he won't, small indications that he is comfortable with you and increasing trust is all you can hope for... but that's massive for him. See it for the value it has. Appreciate his worth.

I just truly hope that its not to late and that I can word it right. That he realises i don't want him to change. I know he has had a horrible past but doesn't mean that everyone is the same. Thank you I love the baby steps. I probably won't tell him about the aspergers belief. Thank you

i as a 'logical' aspie, i am with a NT girlfriend, at one point she basically made it clear to me that she understood my needs, but that by the same token i needed to understand her needs, this wasn't a one time discussion, but was and is an ongoing conversation

i as a 'logical' aspie, i am with a NT girlfriend, at one point she basically made it clear to me that she understood my needs, but that by the same token i needed to understand her needs, this wasn't a one time discussion, but was and is an ongoing conversation

Thank you
As Thursday gets closer I get more anxious. I have my fingers crossed I can word everything right. I won't be letting him know my suspicions and all I can hope for is that he can understand that we can argue and still love each other. Sadly he shuts down so much that I could never discuss anything with him for fear he would lash out again on text and push me to the side line. So this time when I saw his melt down coming I stepped back and allowed him space to get his head set with his mum and all, and still breaks me that he shut down towards me. Agree with you and think it is great you both are able to be so open with each other. Fingers crossed I get the opportunity with my guy to do the same!!

meltdowns can be avoided by avoiding opening with expectations or criticsms that are explicit

entering a difficult conversation with a loved one by opening with your own vulnerability can be a strong way to create trust and engagement in the conversation, the 'its not you but me' gambit

being made aware that he is hurting you most likely makes him feel very inadequate, unhappy and trapped (i'm doing my best but i can't give this person what she deserves), a sure recipe for someone to say if i can't make you happy, what's the point

i think a lot of it is in the wording, pointing out someone's limitations is confrontational and will put the person on the defensive, at the end of the day your problem is not so much with the condition, but with the consequences of that condition, if your goal is understanding and dialogue its better to express you acceptance and understanding of a person, point out what you share, point out that you believe in that person, and express what you need rather than pointing out where he fails, it's ultimately the same thing, but one reflects caring more than the other

by the way, the best way i've found to deal with defensive people, is to apologise,
i.e. rather than 'why do you always react so badly to 'xyz', you can say 'i'm sorry that i put you in situation xyz, i understand that you don't like it , but i need xyz, do you understand me, what can we do so we get the best out of xyz', you may find that there is a compromise or that no compromise is possible, at least you know

its harder to ask someone to go from their point of view (i've always lived alone) to the opposite point of view (living together), its easier to take baby steps that lead to your goal and accept the time and effort it will take rather than say you want the goal right now

it is much harder to be pissed off or get defensive at you for owning their problem and trying to find a solution that makes you both happy

its a dangerous technique though if the person you are talking to doesn't want to find a solution or his highly aware of being 'managed', then it can blow up in your face

i want to be careful though, i don't know you or your partner, so i can't really know if this post will be (un) helpful or not

Last edited:
meltdowns can be avoided by avoiding opening with expectations or criticsms that are explicit

entering a difficult conversation with a loved one by opening with your own vulnerability can be a strong way to create trust and engagement in the conversation, the 'its not you but me' gambit

being made aware that he is hurting you most likely makes him feel very inadequate, unhappy and trapped (i'm doing my best but i can't give this person what she deserves), a sure recipe for someone to say if i can't make you happy, what's the point

i think a lot of it is in the wording, pointing out someone's limitations is confrontational and will put the person on the defensive, at the end of the day your problem is not so much with the condition, but with the consequences of that condition, if your goal is understanding and dialogue its better to express you acceptance and understanding of a person, point out what you share, point out that you believe in that person, and express what you need rather than pointing out where he fails, it's ultimately the same thing, but one reflects caring more than the other

by the way, the best way i've found to deal with defensive people, is to apologise,
i.e. rather than 'why do you always react so badly to 'xyz', you can say 'i'm sorry that i put you in situation xyz, i understand that you don't like it , but i need xyz, do you understand me, what can we do so we get the best out of xyz', you may find that there is a compromise or that no compromise is possible, at least you know

its harder to ask someone to go from their point of view (i've always lived alone) to the opposite point of view (living together), its easier to take baby steps that lead to your goal and accept the time and effort it will take rather than say you want the goal right now

it is much harder to be pissed off or get defensive at you for owning their problem and trying to find a solution that makes you both happy

its a dangerous technique though if the person you are talking to doesn't want to find a solution or his highly aware of being 'managed', then it can blow up in your face

i want to be careful though, i don't know you or your partner, so i can't really know if this post will be (un) helpful or not

No what your saying is very helpful!!! I understand and you have pointed me in the right direction. I really appreciate you helping because I am at a loose end. I am an emotional wreck these days. I know that a lot of posts have said run a mile. I just want to run towards him for all his faults and flaws make him who he is. I will try and do that thank you very much!!

New Threads

Top Bottom