• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Scripting as a kid - kinda funny

Coupe

*Trigger Warning for (somewhat antiquated but still) ableist language*

I'd almost completely forgotten about this until about a week ago when I remembered it out of the blue. When I was a little kid, I loved Disney Sing-Along videos, and one of my favorite songs on one of my VHS tapes was "Higitus Figitus" from The Sword and The Stone - the song Merlin sings while using magic to shrink the entire contents of his cottage to fit inside a bag so he can move in with young Arthur at the castle in order to tutor him. There's this part where Merlin loses his place in the song, and when Arthur reminds him, he resumes singing super fast, much to the annoyance of Archimedes the owl, who screams "Pardon me, blockhead!!"

.....Well, I found that remark hilarious, and for quite awhile afterward, I would loudly script/echo that line at anyone who mildly inconvenienced me in any way. I was like 3 or 4 at the time. :sweatsmile: I don't really use scripts/echolalia from movies and TV shows the way I did when I was a kid (and I used a *ton* of them)....mostly just polite/diplomatic stock phrases that have worked for me in social situations before. Just wanted to share. :blush:

Last edited:
My 19yo son and I quote cartoon and movie lines all of the time. Sponge Bob Square Pants is very quotable, for example. So is the Back to the Future trilogy.

I often find myself scripting stuff and even singing/humming songs that I've heard from certain places. I remember some time back when I was watching clips from The Lion King on YouTube and came across some Lion Guard songs - which range from good to decent to "ugh - what were they thinking?" in terms of quality.
One of the songs was called "Sisi ni sawa" (Swahili for "We're the same"), and when I wasn't humming/singing the song, I was just repeating that phrase randomly.

The song is here if you want to listen to it:

I absolutely love the Sherlock Holmes series and Agatha Christi and have often quoted lines and I do it with music too. Sometimes I hear someone say something that is in a particular song I like and I find myself saying: that comes from such and such singer.

I often find myself scripting stuff and even singing/humming songs that I've heard from certain places.
If someone says a phrase that is also a line in a song, I find myself completing the stanza... :oops:

Them (noting a failed attempt): Well, that ain't working...
Me:
♫ ...that's the way you do it
Money for nothin' and chicks for free... ♪
(Money for Nothing, Dire Straits)

I didn't know that this was scripting, I do it with a lot of songs when they are on my mind. I just thought it was something everyone does, but come to think of it, nope... Hmm and now I want my MTV for some reason. ;)

*Trigger Warning for (somewhat antiquated but still) ableist language*

I'd almost completely forgotten about this until about a week ago when I remembered it out of the blue. When I was a little kid, I loved Disney Sing-Along videos, and one of my favorite songs on one of my VHS tapes was "Higitus Figitus" from The Sword and The Stone - the song Merlin sings while using magic to shrink the entire contents of his cottage to fit inside a bag so he can move in with young Arthur at the castle in order to tutor him. There's this part where Merlin loses his place in the song, and when Arthur reminds him, he resumes singing super fast, much to the annoyance of Archimedes the owl, who screams "Pardon me, blockhead!!"

.....Well, I found that remark hilarious, and for quite awhile afterward, I would loudly script/echo that line at anyone who mildly inconvenienced me in any way. I was like 3 or 4 at the time. :sweatsmile:
That's very funny, I imagined it and laughed pretty hard.

I remember when I was about 16, I went to see the movie Life of Brian. I thought it was hilarious and it has some great one-liners, and for about 6 months afterwards I kept quoting it at every opportunity. But this wasn't scripting to help me out with a social situation, it was more that I just loved the movie.

My 19yo son and I quote cartoon and movie lines all of the time. Sponge Bob Square Pants is very quotable, for example. So is the Back to the Future trilogy.

My husband and I do this a lot. Mostly Family Guy and The Simpsons.

The Sing-A-long songs I remember and enjoyed a lot where these ones that had the bouncing ball on the lyrics. Absolutely love these things.

And for a bonus, Here are a couple of corporate propaganda Sing-A-Longs for ha!

The Sing-A-long songs I remember and enjoyed a lot where these ones that had the bouncing ball on the lyrics. Absolutely love these things.

And for a bonus, Here are a couple of corporate propaganda Sing-A-Longs for ha!

I remember seeing some of those classic "bouncing ball" sing-along cartoons as a kid, too! :smiley: My grandma gave me a VHS of some of them once.

I also just remembered another "scripting" thing I did as a kid....it was specific to the situation, not a go-to like "Pardon me, blockhead" was (until I was told to knock it off :tearsofjoy:). I was really little back then, maybe around two years old. My mother had taken me for a walk around the neighborhood in the stroller, and we stopped at some bushes of honeysuckle. My mom leaned over to smell some, and wheeled me closer to the blossoms so I could smell them, too.

"Doesn't the honeysuckle smell nice, Coupe?" she asked me. Now, my sense of smell wasn't very developed at the time, so the honeysuckle blossoms had no identifiable scent, to me. However, I sensed that I was on the hook for responding in some way, so I said, "You don't eat them, you smell them." If you remember the classic Winnie the Pooh cartoons, this is what Kanga says to Pooh after he attempts to eat the bouquet of honeysuckle she gives him in Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree. I vaguely remember my mother's confusion over my scripted reply, and being confused by her confusion....I just thought that's what you said in honeysuckle-related scenarios. :sweatsmile:

I just finishing reading a book about a sister and brother
who often use "borrowed words" from the children's story
by Arnold Lobel, Frog and Toad are Friends.

"Sorry, Frog", the boy will say, instead of using his sister's name.

Rules is written by an author who is the mother of an
autistic child and a non-autistic child. The book is not
at all preachy, obvious, or condescending.

It clearly illustrates the use of "scripting" or "borrowed words."

upload_2018-7-24_11-6-48.png

http://www.cynthialord.com/rules.html
https://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/rules

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frog_and_Toad_Are_Friends

I also recently remembered another time I relied on scripting to communicate when I couldn't come up with the words on my own - to communicate feelings of pain, specifically. I was maybe 3 or 4 years old around this time, and was at my grandparents' house. I was in their basement, sitting on a sofa, and noticed a soft ball with Lion King characters printed on it on the floor below. I leaned over to grab the ball, but fell off the couch, scraping my wrist hard against a plastic stacking crate in the process. My mom heard me crying and came downstairs to soothe me, and then she asked me what happened and how I'd gotten hurt. Now, I loved the Raggedy Ann stories at that age (my parents and grandmother - my dad's mother - read them to me all the time) - and since I was too overcome from the incident to find words to tell how I had been injured, I ended up quoting a sentence from the book where the author describes what happened to a china doll: "All the dolls cried the night Susan fell off the toy box and cracked her china head." My mother took this comment in stride, saying, "Yes, Baby!Coupe, I know, you got a bad owie on your wrist, but it'll feel better soon."

Last edited:
My brothers and I used to do that a lot with lines from Asterix and Tintin. E.g. "All right, all right but please don't shout" from Asterix in Switzerland.

Though of course the best quote from that book is:
"We go swimming in the lake, we go climbing mountains..."
"What d'you expect? We're not on holiday you know!"

New Threads

Top Bottom