• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Avarici

Hello,
I am a teacher who is looking to help a student and his parents. This student has autism and has very little verbal expression. His most frequent stim tends to be verbal scripting. It is clear he is quoting something, but he is difficult to understand. He also enjoys deep pressure and will often squeeze his own hands when he begins to get frustrated. I firmly believe that it is important to let students stim and do not mind the constant chatter that runs through my class during downtime. The concern is when this student begins to escalate. His quotes turn into a loud deep shout that lasts from 10-30 seconds, and it is LOUD. When he gets to this point he is no longer smiling, has his brows drawn together and gets louder and louder.

We have tried taking him to jump on a trampoline, but sometimes even after 30 minutes of jumping he still doesn't seem okay. We have tried sending him to a quiet room, deep pressure, walks, water, food, taking sweatshirts off, putting sweatshirts on, and giving him headphones. All attempts to ask him what's wrong result in more yelling and frustration from him.

I have been searching for ways to help, but they all feel a lot like dog training or conditioning behavior which I feel is very dehumanizing. I want to help this young man be successful and confident, to find his own voice, and to be able to tell his caretakers when he needs help.

Parents, what have you done in similar situations? What would you want your child's school to do?
People with Autism, do you have any insights that can help me help this young man?

Hello,
I am a teacher who is looking to help a student and his parents. This student has autism and has very little verbal expression. His most frequent stim tends to be verbal scripting. It is clear he is quoting something, but he is difficult to understand. He also enjoys deep pressure and will often squeeze his own hands when he begins to get frustrated. I firmly believe that it is important to let students stim and do not mind the constant chatter that runs through my class during downtime. The concern is when this student begins to escalate. His quotes turn into a loud deep shout that lasts from 10-30 seconds, and it is LOUD. When he gets to this point he is no longer smiling, has his brows drawn together and gets louder and louder.

We have tried taking him to jump on a trampoline, but sometimes even after 30 minutes of jumping he still doesn't seem okay. We have tried sending him to a quiet room, deep pressure, walks, water, food, taking sweatshirts off, putting sweatshirts on, and giving him headphones. All attempts to ask him what's wrong result in more yelling and frustration from him.

I have been searching for ways to help, but they all feel a lot like dog training or conditioning behavior which I feel is very dehumanizing. I want to help this young man be successful and confident, to find his own voice, and to be able to tell his caretakers when he needs help.

Parents, what have you done in similar situations? What would you want your child's school to do?
People with Autism, do you have any insights that can help me help this young man?
I do not feel qualified, nor able, to offer
you advice on your situation, as I have only
recently discovered my own placement
on the spectrum.

I do, however, feel that this needs to be said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

The kindness, compassion, and dignity
that you bring in your approach to helping
this young man is heartwarming and
gratifying. He is blessed to have you.
All too often, this basic humanity, seems to be missing from many of our interactions.

I know that, acting from this place,
you will be successful in lessening this
boy's suffering, and increasing his
happiness, indeed, you already are.
Thank you for your contribution and passion
in making this world a better, kinder place.
I wish for your success, and happiness.

You are in my thoughts and meditations.

May you be well.

sidd

With my son, I've found that there's no real way to control his loud vocal stims. One thing that works is when his mom leaves, he quiets down usually.
Is it possible that he's doing it for a reaction out of someone? Like if he does it, someone gives him extra attention or babies him? Other than that it could be about a billion other things, from plain overstimulation, to confusion, etc. I wish there was some way I could help, but it literally could be about anything.
Good luck!

New Threads

Top Bottom