• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Scopophobia (Scoptophobia)

rainfall

Playing in the rain =P
Do you have or suspect you may have it? Here is a link though there are many others. What is Scopophobia and Do I Have It? I apologize upfront for the long post.

"Scopophobia is a recognized anxiety disorder that brings with it an intense fear of being looked or stared at and drawing attention to yourself."

"Symptoms of Scopophobia can include:

• An increased heart rate in social situations. This can cause the sufferer to seem edgy and irritated when, in fact, they are very nervous.
  • Hyperventilation. In some cases, the phobia is so strong that it can cause the sufferer to hyperventilate because they feel as though they are unable to breathe properly and their phobia has triggered their flight or fight response.
  • Shaking and/or trembling. The sufferer will not be able to control this.
  • Muscular tension. The sufferer's flight or fight response has been triggered and it has had an impact on the muscles.
  • Dizziness or disorientation. This is thought to be caused by the panic and hyperventilation."
It does say the severity varies depending on the person and it's not agoraphobia because it can happen indoors as well as outdoors.

I started looking this up because my friend expressed a desire to help me with social anxiety. I didn't really think that I had it but couldn't quite explain why not so I didn't try. I have, like everyone else, been judged my entire life and already expect it. A lot of times, very harshly, but again, it doesn't bother me that much unless I'm having a bad day to begin with.

I asked my mom about this since most articles say that it's triggered by some event in your life in a social setting. She said that I have always been this way and I still remember hiding from people behind her when I was very small. She remembered that whenever I was in the car that I would sink to the floor when we would stop at a stop sign or red light and I wouldn't get back up, even with her yelling for me to, untill we started moving again. She also said that as an adult she noticed that I stare straight ahead at a stop light or stop sign when other vehicles are near.

In class, even when I knew the answer, I would break into a cold sweat when I was called on. I couldn't remember how to spell a word I knew in a spelling bee because I was having a panic attack and didn't even know what it was. My mom said that my kindergarten teacher realized I leaned on my younger sister because of my anxiety so they separated us in every grade after and I got worse instead of better.

My first day to ride the bus to kindergarten my dad was supposed to follow behind in the car but it broke down and I seemed to have a million arms because my mom could not shove me through the school bus door and I didn't go. The next day my dad took me but I cried the entire time with all the new children and even made another girl cry because of it. They held me back to start with my younger sister next year because I couldn't handle it. There was a time in seventh grade just thinking about going to school made me panic and with one and then both my parents screaming and trying to pull me off the floor they couldn't move me and I missed my bus. I remember crying and wondering what was wrong with me but I couldn't make myself do it.

Walking outside I typically avert my eyes or keep my head down. I stim with my hands to calm down by rubbing a smooth rock I found at a river years ago, keeping the other hand in a pocket of my jeans or opening and closing it tightly close to my body so it's not so noticeable. Just the other day I walked out of my way to avoid a crosswalk at a busy intersection to cross the street. I looked at the "push to walk" button as I was walking toward it and I kept telling myself I could do it but when I got there I turned and went further down the road to cross instead of stand there.

On the phone, because the attention is between me and one other or a conference call so me and a few others, I panic and don't get the words out I want to say and end up sounding stupid. Voicemails are a nightmare and is kind of a running joke that mostly what someone hears is "uhh, umm" when I leave them. :rolleyes:

With public speaking or teaching (teaching in a church setting) I typically talk very fast and low and am asked to speak up but I already feel like I'm yelling and want to run away so badly the anxiety increases to panic level. I do my best to avoid those scenarios.

It extends to online as well. I don't like drawing any attention to myself so being here has been hard but helpful. I don't like to update my post because I don't know how long it will stay at the top. I don't like posting replies unless I really feel like I should say something because I effectively put myself out there. It's a bit anxiety inducing to join chat because people are nice here and you're immediately said hi to by almost anyone in the room. (It's a good thing, not complaining at all.) I've often wished I had a "spectating" option when joining that would go away when I wrote in general chat but of course would never ask to be catered to especially since this could be my problem alone. Others would say, "why join chat if you're not going to chat?" It's not that I wouldn't and have made comments and talked to people before but usually after I've had a second to calm down or there are people I already know or am familiar with currently chatting. I have gotten much better at the online things here and my anxiety levels are way down compared to when I joined almost a year ago.

For me, it's not as severe as with people I know. My anxiety comes from people I don't know. Even if I've never talked to someone online or offline but have seen them around often enough, my anxiety with that person or screen name will fade over time. Sometimes it doesn't fade if that person is very loud and attention getting and anxiety will actually increase around them because I know to expect it and try to avoid them as politely as possible.

Considering the symptoms posted above I get the increased heart rate, breathing quickly and wanting to run or flee besides a cold sweat or in more severe cases I can get dizzy and feel like I'm going to pass out. I have a nervous habit of smiling or laughing so sometimes that happens as well but I'm not happy, just extremely nervous.

This has been one of those lightbulb moments realizing that the issues I've had aren't what others have tried to tell me but what I knew all along and couldn't put into words.

Is there anyone that has Scopophobia or suspects they might? I understand that because of the nature of it others may or may not want to post their own experiences but I do look forward to responses from anyone with similiar issues. :D

Considering the symptoms posted above I get the increased heart rate, breathing quickly and wanting to run or flee besides a cold sweat or in more severe cases I can get dizzy and feel like I'm going to pass out. I have a nervous habit of smiling or laughing so sometimes that happens as well but I'm not happy, just extremely nervous.

Oh yes...this sounds very familiar. Worse when I was in my early 20s, out of college and struggling to find work. Other times it seemed more manageable. I ended up seeking help for it, getting beta-blockers to manage it so I wouldn't crash with each and every social interaction that came along. Especially with complete strangers where it seemed inevitable to break out into that "cold sweat". Tough times.

Though time, medication and confidence at work helped me emerge from much of this condition I once had. Interesting to think though, my doctor never applied any specific term beyond "social anxiety".

Last edited:
I've never liked being looked at it felt like people we're looking.
Thanks for posting, I hadn't heard the word before.

"Scopophobia is a recognized anxiety disorder that brings with it an intense fear of being looked or stared at and drawing attention to yourself."

extends to online as well. I don't like drawing any attention to myself so being here has been hard but helpful.

Glad it's been helpful. I spotted you without you drawing any attention :)

I have gotten much better at the online things here and my anxiety levels are way down compared to when I joined almost a year ago.

Sounds like a positive journey so far.
I'm sure it will continue.

I don't use chat either.

Though time, medication and confidence at work helped me emerge from much of this condition I once had. Interesting to think though, my doctor never applied any specific term beyond "social anxiety".

I'm glad you've been able to improve from this. It gives me more hope that I may be able to as well. :)

I think all the sub categories are lesser known, especially since it is recognized as a social anxiety and a separate anxiety disorder from what I've read so far.

I've never liked being looked at it felt like people we're looking.
Thanks for posting, I hadn't heard the word before.

You're welcome. Neither had I before I began searching. Social anxiety didn't fit so I typed "fear of being looked at" and got some interesting results. ;)

Glad it's been helpful. I spotted you without you drawing any attention :)

:D

Sounds like a positive journey so far.
I'm sure it will continue.

Thank you. It has definitely had it's ups and downs but overall I'm glad that I joined. Reading other people's stories, struggles, differing viewpoints and laughing at jokes has been beneficial in my life in numerous ways. As I'm sure it has been to just about everyone who's come here. :D

Never heard of it, but the description describes what social phobia is; which now is being dogmatically called social anxiety, accept for my therapist who does say social phobia.

Anyway, there was a time, even being on my own in my house, I would feel deeply uncomfortable, but years of having no choice, I got used to it. Wish that would happen with the outside.

Anyway, definitely got this: scopophobia then, because I freak when I see someone looking at me and not even my own husband can look. It is ok if talking, but if he just looks, I find myself hyperventilating.

I just recall those times when such anxiety was the worst for me, to a point where I thought that I might have agoraphobia. Which wasn't the case, but at times it sure limited me socially. I also was very reticent to talk to strangers on the phone as well.

Though there's that saying, "necessity is the mother of invention." I desperately needed a job, and the one I found did involve heavy phone contact and internal social interactions with employees. But it was initially the meds that got me through it all. Then self-confidence and financial independence followed. It all helped to get me out of that abyss.

I've often wished I had a "spectating" option when joining that would go away when I wrote in general chat but of course would never ask to be catered to especially since this could be my problem alone.

I really like this idea of having a little badge or something you could turn on and off -- maybe attached to your avatar or something.

It reminds me of the red/yellow/green badges that they have at some autism conferences to indicate different needs and preferences with respect to socializing with others.

Rainfall, I'm sorry this has been so disabling for you, I've always thought of you as a very sweet and nice but shy person. I hate being looked at because I don't feel I'm attractive but I got get the anxiety s/s, only feel very uncomfortable. I don't even like to look at myself in the mirror. I hope you will gradually talk more and more on here- I think you'd get a very accepting reception. That might help irl too.

Anyway, there was a time, even being on my own in my house, I would feel deeply uncomfortable, but years of having no choice, I got used to it.

I freak when I see someone looking at me and not even my own husband can look. It is ok if talking, but if he just looks, I find myself hyperventilating.

I'm sorry that you suffer to such a greater degree than I do. I hope that the medicine you've been prescribed will be able to help relieve even some of your anxiety and that you are able to live more comfortably in your own home. :)

I just recall those times when such anxiety was the worst for me, to a point where I thought that I might have agoraphobia. Which wasn't the case, but at times it sure limited me socially. I also was very reticent to talk to strangers on the phone as well.

I didn't even know I had anything. My parents were very much against counselors and the like for other reasons besides the ones they listed to me and my siblings. One such was the stigma of having some type of mental illness. I was just weird and exasperating to those around me. I'm glad you at least had some idea what was happening. :)

Though there's that saying, "necessity is the mother of invention." I desperately needed a job, and the one I found did involve heavy phone contact and internal social interactions with employees. But it was initially the meds that got me through it all. Then self-confidence and financial independence followed. It all helped to get me out of that abyss.

People have often told me something of the sort like "just do it enough times and you'll get used to it" and some family especially roll their eyes and act like I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. I've done my best to not bother others with it as much as possible. I haven't been in a lot of social situations for the past couple years but my anxiety hasn't increased thankfully.

Did you have to try a lot of different medications before one worked? Typically me and medication do not mix and I end up worse off than I was before I took something. I've never taken medication for anything involving anxiety.

It reminds me of the red/yellow/green badges that they have at some autism conferences to indicate different needs and preferences with respect to socializing with others.

I've only been to one event like that with my son and it took me a bit to realize that's what they were for. I had no idea.

I really like this idea of having a little badge or something you could turn on and off -- maybe attached to your avatar or something.

I had thought of bringing it up in the section about the site. I decided not to since the majority of people that can't handle it well, at all or do not like chat usually avoid it altogether and wasn't sure how useful it would be.

Definitely. That’s why I rarely go to the store.

I also had a not so proud moment where I screamed out to my ex “I don’t like being talked about when I’m not present!!!” as he was telling his friends in a different room how lucky he was to have me.

I've only been to one event like that with my son and it took me a bit to realize that's what they were for. I had no idea.

I have never been to an autism event. I just read about them and thought it was one of the most brilliant ideas ever.

rainfall said:
I had thought of bringing it up in the section about the site. I decided not to since the majority of people that can't handle it well, at all or do not like chat usually avoid it altogether and wasn't sure how useful it would be.

I think it's a great idea and I would find it very useful.

Rainfall, I'm sorry this has been so disabling for you, I've always thought of you as a very sweet and nice but shy person.

:D Thank you. I have often been mistaken for a shy person but I'm really not that shy if I know someone. It's the anxiety that keeps me quiet unless I'm with people I'm comfortable with. Being put on the spot instantly ignites the anxiety at times and my mind goes blank. More times than I can count I've wanted to reply or offer something and didn't, kicking myself for it later. It makes me more awkward than I am. haha :rolleyes:

I hate being looked at because I don't feel I'm attractive but I got get the anxiety s/s, only feel very uncomfortable. I don't even like to look at myself in the mirror.

I'm sorry, what does "s/s" mean? I have felt the same the majority of my life. There are days when I feel ok but mostly I don't. I think, for me, I feel this is the way God made me and I do my best to accept it. I would never do anything to change my appearance surgically either. With help from my best friend that I met here, I have come to realize that what I see isn't what others see. If I look at myself more objectively, without all my preconceived dislike for my appearance, is there anything that I can like, even one feature? Baby steps are best I've learned the hard way. :rolleyes::D

Maybe you can try to look in the mirror objectively and see what others may see in you. From all you've written here that I've read, you're a very kind and beautiful person on the inside. I can't see your looks changing that at all and truly, that is what matters the most is a person's character. Looks can be taken by accident, purposely and with age but your personality usually sticks around a bit longer. ;):D

I hope you will gradually talk more and more on here- I think you'd get a very accepting reception. That might help irl too.

Thank you. I am definitely working on it. :D (Sorry, I really like the emojis here.)

Last edited:
Did you have to try a lot of different medications before one worked? Typically me and medication do not mix and I end up worse off than I was before I took something. I've never taken medication for anything involving anxiety.

Yes, I did. At time times to my detriment. Some medications I tried made things much worse.

Though the medication that worked for me did have quite a side effect. Messing with my heartbeat. The product in question Mellaril (Thioridizine) was eventually taken off the market long after I chose not to take it any more. It also dulled my personality somewhat, something I didn't particularly like. However this was many years ago and I'd like to think that such pharmaceutical options would be better for you at the present time.

I also had a not so proud moment where I screamed out to my ex “I don’t like being talked about when I’m not present!!!” as he was telling his friends in a different room how lucky he was to have me.

I hope he still felt lucky to have you. Especially if he knew beforehand that it upset you for him to do that. Even so, we all do things that aren't the greatest but it shouldn't stop someone from caring when we do. :)

Yes, I did. At time times to my detriment. Some medications I tried made things much worse.

Though the medication that worked for me did have quite a side effect. Messing with my heartbeat. The product in question Mellaril (Thioridizine) was eventually taken off the market long after I chose not to take it any more. It also dulled my personality somewhat, something I didn't particularly like. However this was many years ago and I'd like to think that such pharmaceutical options would be better for you at the present time.

Thank you for answering my question. :) I've always been somewhat sensitive to medicine and only take it when absolutely necessary because of that. With some I've taken before, each one after the other gave me worse symptoms. The last one resulting in life threatening side effects related to my heart as well.

I'm hesitant to try but not completely against it. The fact that you've had success in overcoming some of your fears this way initially is encouraging. Minus the scary side effects of course. ;)

I have often been mistaken for a shy person but I'm really not that shy if I know someone. It's the anxiety that keeps me quiet unless I'm with people I'm comfortable with. Being put on the spot instantly ignites the anxiety at times and my mind goes blank. More times than I can count I've wanted to reply or offer something and didn't, kicking myself for it later. It makes me more awkward than I am.

YEP. 100%. It's funny because as a child (under age 13) I could sing solos in church and at school. Then at a certain point around that time, people talking to me that I didn't know well or men in general was traumatizing. It's interesting to learn about but trying to nail down specific phobias and such would drive me crazy because I feel like there is a lot of contradiction. For example, I was a competitive dancer all the way through college. I loved showing off because I was really good at Irish dancing. I took a million dance classes, always got solos, performed in high school color guard, etc. I even taught. I taught dance classes, then in a more traditional setting at a school for kids with autism. I felt more or less confident with teaching itself, it was the perceived judgment of coworkers and expected interaction with them that I couldn't handle. When I have something to say in front of friends, I can feel more or less confident, but other times it is absolutely mortifying when someone addresses me in some way. Mostly when the group is more than 2 people. I think the worst is when people are making jokes and they reference me and there is an expectation to participate, but a lot of times the sarcasm goes over my head and I have no idea what's going on or why something is funny until later when I ask someone to explain it to me.

I can no longer sing in public, not even kinda. The first time I tried after that age point around 13, I basically had a panic attack and couldn't even breathe. I still like to sing, so I record stuff and put it online lol.

I think there is some phobia that is defined similar to this but applies to oral capability. Don't know what it is though. If it is a structured environment, like an interview, I do quite well. But chatting with coworkers and stuff, man it's near impossible. I think the worst trigger overall is with men though. I'm not sure why, I've never really had like a traumatic experience that I can attribute this to, but I feel anxious around men in general and have a feeling like all of them are either trying to hurt me or take advantage of me sexually, even those that I've known forever. It's just automatic.

There was one instance when I worked at a coffee shop and a man would come in almost every day for his "usual" which was a mocha latte. He never did anything overt that anyone would consider unsettling at all. But for some reason, his coming into the shop triggered near panic attacks. I would get short of breath, my cheeks would flush (which would make me even more embarrassed, this is the worst feeling in the world because I think people interpret blushing as a sign that you like them, which isn't true and then feeds the cycle of feeling embarrassed, which makes you even more flushed, etc.) and it took everything in me to keep from running out of the coffee shop. One time it was so bad when he came in that I had to bend down and open the mini fridge door and pretend to be looking for something I didn't need in desperation to hide how red my cheeks were and to try and start breathing again. I've thought about it a lot since then and wondered if I had some kind of extra-sensory perception, like I could sense he had skeletons in his closet of some kind and I was reacting to that haha! What made me think this was that in this occasion where I was panicking, that energy transferred to him and he got really nervous as well. He was walking out of the shop with his coffee after having had that interaction with me and someone he knew called his name. He jumped out of his skin like a cat! He could barely respond. I thought, holy crap what did I do to him? Just very strange....

:D Thank you. I have often been mistaken for a shy person but I'm really not that shy if I know someone. It's the anxiety that keeps me quiet unless I'm with people I'm comfortable with. Being put on the spot instantly ignites the anxiety at times and my mind goes blank. More times than I can count I've wanted to reply or offer something and didn't, kicking myself for it later. It makes me more awkward than I am. haha :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, what does "s/s" mean? I have felt the same the majority of my life. There are days when I feel ok but mostly I don't. I think, for me, I feel this is the way God made me and I do my best to accept it. I would never do anything to change my appearance surgically either. With help from my best friend that I met here, I have come to realize that what I see isn't what others see. If I look at myself more objectively, without all my preconceived dislike for my appearance, is there anything that I can like, even one feature? Baby steps are best I've learned the hard way. :rolleyes::D

Maybe you can try to look in the mirror objectively and see what others may see in you. From all you've written here that I've read, you're a very kind and beautiful person on the inside. I can't see your looks changing that at all and truly, that is what matters the most is a person's character. Looks can be taken by accident, purposely and with age but your personality usually sticks around a bit longer. ;):D

Thank you. I am definitely working on it. :D (Sorry, I really like the emojis here.)

Oh sorry s/s means symptoms (medical shorthand). I had a typo- meant to say I don't get the anxiety symptoms but do feel uncomfortable.

New Threads

Top Bottom