• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

School/Employment and Studying

Clintos

Sorry this is in the wrong section, please move. I would do it, but do not know how, thanks.

Hi my name is Clint, I was hoping that someone on this forum might be able to help me with figuring out what employment I should consider and if I should go to school, along with what I should study. I just don't know where to start in order to figure this out.

I am a quite person that is shy and doesn't talk that much. I have Aspergers and schizo-affective disorder along with anxieties and depression. I am on disability but feel I could do better. please ask some questions that you feel might help me in the right direction.

So far I have an appointment with a employment agency in which specializes in helping people with learning disabilities. I want to be prepared so they can best help me.

As for my studying, I am interested in what would best help me, help myself with my aspergers such as body language/emotions/understanding people and life in general.

Last edited:
What are your main interests? If you could find a subject at school that ties in with your main interests you might be OK.

Also, don't listen to your school's employment adviser, if they're anything like the idiot we had, they'll tell you to go for the lowest paid minimum wage job on offer just because "it's a job", to shut the Daily Fail readers up about yet more people on benefits.

I would like to not settle but I would also like to not fail to much anymore, but also I want to push myself outside mu comfort zone slightly in which may help me in my overall life.

I'm 37 years old and my interests are growing corals which are like plants but are considered animals, I've done that for 12 years, and would not mind growing vegetable/marijuana etc

I also enjoy reading about psychology,nutrition,metabolism and aspergers. I do not have many interests other then to learn about how I can fix my condition. And the one listed above.

I would like to go to school for something in which I could learn about that subject forever.

of course I want money and a lot of it and do not mind going to school for 10 years if need be. But being successful and enjoying what I do is more important.

I just hope this doesn't sound like a pipe dream. You see I missed a lot of grade school and want to make up for it now and I feel I have my emotions down now and that I am somewhat getting to be slightly social able along.

I tend to stay in the house a lot, I am a home body, but would like to push myself a bit to get out more and to accomplish things/my fears

Sorry for using the word I a lot its just my lack of education in grade school and it's a habit.

Last edited:
I would like to not settle but I would also like to not fail to much anymore, but also I want to push myself outside mu comfort zone slightly in which may help me in my overall life.

I'm 37 years old and my interests are growing corals which are like plants but are considered animals, I've done that for 12 years, and would not mind growing vegetable/marijuana etc

I also enjoy reading about psychology,nutrition,metabolism and aspergers. I do not have many interests other then to learn about how I can fix my condition. And the one listed above.

I would like to go to school for something in which I could learn about that subject forever.

of course I want money and a lot of it and do not mind going to school for 10 years if need be. But being successful and enjoying what I do is more important.

I just hope this doesn't sound like a pipe dream. You see I missed a lot of grade school and want to make up for it now and I feel I have my emotions down now and that I am somewhat getting to be slightly social able along.

I tend to stay in the house a lot, I am a home body, but would like to push myself a bit to get out more and to accomplish things/my fears

Sorry for using the word I a lot its just my lack of education in grade school and it's a habit.
hi clintos,
its very possible to get voluntary or paid jobs as a person without education,im LFA and was given a job working PE lessons with mainly challenging autistic young boys in a special needs school,im waiting for my support staff to sort out drivers for that shift so i can go,it could lead to paid employment i think. i was given that job because of my life experience, my own disabilities and my abilities to teach positivity and also to cope with challenging behavior from others.

when you say corals,i think i might know what you mean, do you mean...like rock,and sort of related to anenemes [sorry i can never spell it right], in a tank of salt water? if it is that- its a very interesting subject-would you consider working in a marine fish store as they grow corals, anenemes etc? that could lead to a paid job if it wasnt paid right away,plus itd probably get you into fish-i have two fish tanks [400l with a external filter and 2xAV unit setup and 64l with crappy internal filter,tank being pimped up at the moment so not in use,being worked on],fish are an obsession of mine.

ive grown cannabis to,albeit illegally in the UK but it got caught by support staff eventually and i was told i could get arrested so i didnt do it again.
i recommend it if your in a legal state,it could not only help you but also help other people with autism or pain conditions or epilepsy etc plus it would give you an income.

you could also get an allotment/patch of land and grow your own vegetables and sell them at a farmers market,i personally know some people at my dads allotment who do this!
and on that patch of land,you could get some chickens, and sell the eggs.i used to sell my chickens eggs but my chucks didnt lay to many to make much of a profit.

When you say that you missed a lot of grade school, does that mean you don't have a high school diploma? If you don't have one and want more education, I'd start with getting a high school equivalency. Since you are interested in plants, what about working in a plant store or as a gardener?

Perhaps you might consider a degree in marine biology? The coral reefs need all the help they can get.

That would be a dream job. If I was younger I would do it forsure. studying marine biology was what I used in order to try to correct my grammar and to learn to write in somewhat full sentences/paragraphs. I just do not know if I have the education to enter a course at the university level along with if it makes sense to thrive towards that goal.

I would have to find a way to go to Australia from Canada and to be accepted for financial assistance.

I did graduated from St Clair College in computer programming. Since I had a official diagnosis for my learning disability, they provided accommodations for me. I was able to have someone take notes for me and extra time for test. I did had the option to have a tape recorder to record my lectures but didn't use this service. If you have an official diagnosis they can provide you support too including other services I didn't listed.

I would look into Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD) with Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development Welcome to the Ontario Student Assistance Program:Bursary for Students with Disabilities (16-17)

If the employment center can provide an updated assessment of your learning disability, I would go for it. I did this when I moved to Toronto after college.

I got a degree in psychology, it was great in helping me figure out what is wrong with me and helped me see it other ways than just what is "wrong" with me. It helped me understand other people better and have more empathy for others. On the other hand, just as I know a lot about nutrition and it is one of the subjects I liked to study and I'm still fat; I understand myself and others better but am still incredibly socially awkward and struggle. I think it is part of why I never actually pursued or felt I could pursue a career in psychology. School is great but it ultimately won't change who you are and sometimes its best to try to find something that works with your abilities and personality rather than try to overcome so much. I like teaching younger kids, they are easier to be around than other adults for me. I wouldn't do well as a psychologist or anything like that. Be realistic about what you want your life to be like on a daily basis when your thinking about a career. If you prefer to work alone then find something more solitary. Someone said maybe you should try to work at a store that specializes in saltwater aquariums or maybe start your own.

Newfoundland has Memorial U which has a Marine Bio program and it is not expensive at all. I know people laugh at Mem U but it's not that bad if you get the degree you want! I almost went there.

I was awesome at school in terms of grades like so many auties are, but bombed totally in trying to get it together. In other words, it took me a full 13 YEARS to get my freshman year done. I have trouble with things to do with life, like eating and getting myself together to function.

But dammit I never gave up. I gave up school but I am heavily involved in what I went to school for, with blogs and stuff blogging my little heart right out of control all day and people like it!! I am VERY good at my special interest because I have been studying it for many many hours a day for more than 20 years. I should have two PhDs by now. Autism may have taken that, but I am very proud of my blog and a lot of people like it, too :)

thanks penguin, my psychiatrist was mentioning something about this, but I was not informed all the way. It seems that they can open up a lot of avanues that accommodate people with disabilities.

Only other thing I was thinking of was to be a psychologist in autism disorder which I just do not know If I would be qualified for, it seems that I would have to be very social?

But, when I look at my psychiatrist it seems that I could easily imitate him and get by with minimum social abilities as long as I know my stuff.

?????????

I got a degree in psychology, it was great in helping me figure out what is wrong with me and helped me see it other ways than just what is "wrong" with me. It helped me understand other people better and have more empathy for others. On the other hand, just as I know a lot about nutrition and it is one of the subjects I liked to study and I'm still fat; I understand myself and others better but am still incredibly socially awkward and struggle. I think it is part of why I never actually pursued or felt I could pursue a career in psychology. School is great but it ultimately won't change who you are and sometimes its best to try to find something that works with your abilities and personality rather than try to overcome so much. I like teaching younger kids, they are easier to be around than other adults for me. I wouldn't do well as a psychologist or anything like that. Be realistic about what you want your life to be like on a daily basis when your thinking about a career. If you prefer to work alone then find something more solitary. Someone said maybe you should try to work at a store that specializes in saltwater aquariums or maybe start your own.

Your right this is the real reason why I want I degree in psychology, it's because I want to know more about human behavior and emotions etc along with getting along with others.

I would like to teach young children with autism about emotions even thou I do not know it myself.

I feel that if I study enough that things will just fall into place. this might not happen with Aspergers? but at the same time I feel that I missed out on alot growing up and want to show kids the basics that will prevent them from going though the same things I went though.

But at the same time I am terrible with kids but feel I can learn over time.

hi clintos,
its very possible to get voluntary or paid jobs as a person without education,im LFA and was given a job working PE lessons with mainly challenging autistic young boys in a special needs school,im waiting for my support staff to sort out drivers for that shift so i can go,it could lead to paid employment i think. i was given that job because of my life experience, my own disabilities and my abilities to teach positivity and also to cope with challenging behavior from others.

when you say corals,i think i might know what you mean, do you mean...like rock,and sort of related to anenemes [sorry i can never spell it right], in a tank of salt water? if it is that- its a very interesting subject-would you consider working in a marine fish store as they grow corals, anenemes etc? that could lead to a paid job if it wasnt paid right away,plus itd probably get you into fish-i have two fish tanks [400l with a external filter and 2xAV unit setup and 64l with crappy internal filter,tank being pimped up at the moment so not in use,being worked on],fish are an obsession of mine.

ive grown cannabis to,albeit illegally in the UK but it got caught by support staff eventually and i was told i could get arrested so i didnt do it again.
i recommend it if your in a legal state,it could not only help you but also help other people with autism or pain conditions or epilepsy etc plus it would give you an income.

you could also get an allotment/patch of land and grow your own vegetables and sell them at a farmers market,i personally know some people at my dads allotment who do this!
and on that patch of land,you could get some chickens, and sell the eggs.i used to sell my chickens eggs but my chucks didnt lay to many to make much of a profit.

Sorry I do not know how to quote.

I grew a lot of corals which are anemones which are half plant and half animal which are considered actually animals. I had all the salt water popular fish and did it for 12 years. unfortunately the people down here are shaddy and I whould have to move to toronto to get a job with salt water fish and salt water coral. which I still might do.

You see I do not know what is is like to be around people with disabilities because i've ignored life and just spent my time in isolation. but I feel I could come out of isolation and help people with high austism specturm disabilities because I am the type of person that has been through it on a small basis through out life.

Soon here in Canada Justin our prime mimister will allow recreational pot, this is another thing that I am looking into, but I am trying to convince my learning disorder employment agent into convincing Aphria a medical marijuana grow operation into hiring me.

https://www.aphria.com/

like you said about allotment of land this is where I would like to set up a grow operation for coral and sell them all over North America.

It's very possible to get voluntary jobs as an Aspie, I've been doing voluntary work for over 24 years.

Next year though I'm going to look into paid work, but I've been saying that as part of my "New Year Resolutions" for years and it's never happened.

I just can not see myself doing volunteer work unless I knew that there was a chance it would become paid. or unless there was something in it for me like the ability to improve my skills. I see your point thou it atleast would get me out of the house and be productive unlike what I am doing now which is isolating myself.

Sorry this is in the wrong section, please move. I would do it, but do not know how, thanks.

Hi my name is Clint, I was hoping that someone on this forum might be able to help me with figuring out what employment I should consider and if I should go to school, along with what I should study. I just don't know where to start in order to figure this out.

I am a quite person that is shy and doesn't talk that much. I have Aspergers and schizo-affective disorder along with anxieties and depression. I am on disability but feel I could do better. please ask some questions that you feel might help me in the right direction.

So far I have an appointment with a employment agency in which specializes in helping people with learning disabilities. I want to be prepared so they can best help me.

As for my studying, I am interested in what would best help me, help myself with my aspergers such as body language/emotions/understanding people and life in general.
Hi Clint :) For starters what are your interest or what do you like to do as a hobby or just for fun ? And you should only go to school if their is a certain degree or certificate that you need or want to get for employment. I am a little shy with girls and maybe im shy in other ways too that i just don,t know about and i also don,t talk much. I am not on disability at the moment and write down your interest and hobbys or stuff that you like to do so you can show your employment agency what you like and enjoy. have you tryed taking epsom salt baths because they help with autism and have you been trying a certain diets that help with autism i dont remember the names right now and ive also heard drinking filtered water helps autism also turmeric and vitamin d3 are suppose to help with autism.

The older I get the more I realize that while it is possible to learn new skills that there are some things about myself I cannot just change by willpower or self awareness. I have accepted that I would never be a good psychologist or counselor because I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. You can learn about psychology without getting a degree, there are plenty of books and articles. My husband has a saltwater tank and knows a lot of other people who do as well. He has known a lot of people who started growing and selling corals or fish. It sounds like you have experience with that stuff and you enjoy it.

I use to have a dream of opening a greenhouse to grow corals or at least open up a small warehouse. It's something that I know I would be good at and I can do it mostly myself. unfortunately, it would take a lot of help from people to establish but still possible. I just do not know where to start in order to begin to get help for this dream and if people would take me seriously. I know I have the skill to be successful at it.

Any links people have to get this started and to plan/fund this would be helpful?

New Threads

Top Bottom