• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

School Aims To Bridge Gap For Those With Asperger's, Autism

Pedro

School Aims To Bridge Gap For Those With Asperger's, Autism

By Greg Mellen, Staff Writer
Posted: 07/07/2011 09:56:19 PM PDT
Updated: 07/07/2011 10:44:53 PM PDT

LONG BEACH ? The offices still have a new-paint smell. The future computer room is vacant and dark, and furniture is on its way.

But the College Internship Program is up and running in Long Beach, albeit in skeletal form, and the first applications are being processed.

By August, organizers say the campus on Pacific Coast Highway near the Traffic Circle will be abuzz with its inaugural class and mirroring what its sister campuses have been doing nationally since 1984.

The name College Internship Program may not be revealing. But the mission, to "prepare young adults with Asperger's and other learning disabilities" describes the group's lofty aspirations.

Asperger syndrome is often referred to as a high-functioning form of autism and one of the disabilities that students at the College Internship Program will have. The disorder is often found in conjunction with other learning disabilities, such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

The students will be young adults like Merritt Wilson, a 23-year-old, who is a filmmaking aficionado and expert.

"His problem isn't filmmaking, his problem is navigating the world," says his mother, Caroline Wilson, who is also the executive director of the Los Angeles Chapter of the Autism Society of America.

Merritt Wilson has high-functioning autism and so, while he is an expert with incredible knowledge about certain aspects of film, he also lacks the ability to interact well with others or understand how to use his knowledge.
A program like College Internship Program seeks to bridge the gaps that keep these students from success, independence and happiness.

Susan Levy, program director at the Long Beach school who is also the mother of a learning-disabled son, says most of the students have tried college or been employed and either dropped out of school or failed at the job.

According to Levy, less than 2percent of students with identified learning disabilities who graduate from high school attend colleges.

In the cases of many, it's not that they can't understand the subject matter, it's managing everything else that gets in the way.

And while a learning disabled student often has many resources available through high school, after that they are often left adrift and isolated.

At the College Internship Program, the college experience is really only a part of the equation. In fact, only about half will attend college, while the rest will look for jobs.

Students will also live together at nearby apartments, meet regularly to learn how to do things, from the complex to the mundane, and have mentors, friends, tutors and lots of one-on-one guidance. Maybe most importantly, they'll share a sense of community.

Soon after enrolling, students will be placed into varied internship programs based on their skills and abilities.

It's not cheap. Tuition runs between about $40,000 and $72,000 and doesn't include regular college class fees or room and board. Levy says the school has limited tuition money.

About half of the students will be referred by the Harbor Regional Medical Center, which may pick up some or all of the costs.

As students progress and require fewer services, tuition and costs decrease.

"The less we're needed the better we're doing," Levy says.

Among its successes, the national school says half of its students attended a college or certification program and

56 percent of students held a job continuously over the past year. About 35 percent of alumni report they pay their own living expenses and another 35 percent get by with assistance, while 56 percent are independently living in apartments. Seventy-one percent say they maintain a circle of friends and take part in community events and activities.

To some people, that may not seem like much. But to parents of the learning disabled, that can be everything.

Levy says that if students can have a social group and learn to stand up for themselves, much of the rest of their lives will fall into place.

"We'll help each student reach their fullest potential, whatever that is for the student," Levy says.

Or as Sarah Williams, who works with the school and hopes to enroll her own son, says, success looks like this: "My hope and dream is he'll be a full member of society - and be happy."

Source/Original article: School aims to bridge gap for those with Asperger's, autism - Press-Telegram

We don't have anything like that in Brazil. I can't tell for sure how AS is being treated in the public healthcare here, but I doubt our public schools have anything like that. Actually, not even private schools have anything like it.

Still, the initiative seems to address AS in a correct manner. However, the service seems pretty expensive.

What do you guys, blessed with living in a civilized Country, think?

Autistic people function best in environments that best fit their interests, not best fit their conditions, when they're sufficiently socially able. Just my view.

Interesting point, Ruennsheng.
I have a degree in Law and in Business Administration. Still, I think I could benefit from a place that would teach the basic stuff that constitutes living independently.

They aren't for me. I've already graduated. I work at home and can say that I live independently, but I still struggle with some issues. For me bureaucratic stuff drive me almost insane, I can't cook, and shopping is hell.
I don't have much problems socializing though. I have a beautiful girlfriend and great friends. But I'm definitely more of the quiet type.

New Threads

Top Bottom