• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Scary video games...

I'm very sensitive to jump scares. So F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil got to me quite a lot.
And the X-files game (1998) scared me a lot, because I kept expecting to be startled. In my defense, I was 12 back then, so I forgive myself for that :p

I don't really recall playing any games that were overall scary. The only one I can think of that was somewhat creepy was Star Wars: Bounty Hunter during Chapter 6, as it was set on a burial moon with tombs everywhere, I was getting attacked by numerous demonic-looking creatures called Bando Gora and I was going up against a deranged Dark Jedi who would call out to you with an echoing voice similar to the echoing voices in the "Searching" fire safety advert.
As a kid, those levels in that chapter used to creep me out:

(15:00 onward)

(Beginning to end)

Outside of that, I've seen some video game playthroughs of other games that looked pretty creepy. Here's a few:

Spooky's House of Jump Scares:

Five Nights At Freddys

Slender: The Arrival

Last edited:
I don't scare easily. The only one that has ever bothered me was 'Condemned', which I had on the Xbox 360. The only reason was that I have a phobia of mannequins, and there is a part with many of them.

I don't play a lot of the standard scary games. So the ones which scared me the most would probably be Luigi's Mansion and Metroid Fusion.

I want a game like Resident Evil: Outbreak, but bigger and better. I'm sure Capcom can pull it off. Their recent games have great graphics, but are more like action games, and hardly creepy.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

That crap had me jumping out of my chair. It's a survival/horror game for PC, never talked to anyone that's played it before, a bargain bin gem perhaps?

The only videos games that scare me are the ones that make my processor and GPU fan sound like a helicopter taking off, I'm genuinely frightened that they will damage my PC. For instance Dragon Age Inquisition used to cause an issue with 100% CPU usage for many (I've partly fixed it now) and it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be when I used to have a sh**y stock cooler and poorer case fans. Apart from that no video game or in fact even horror movie content has ever even slightly frightened me, if anything I find them somewhat comical.

Could you put up with this while playing a game? It's enough to frighten anyone who cares about their equipment:

Last edited:
Towards the end of Wing Commander 4 on the PC, there's some quite scary cut scenes, rather gory.

Also Star Trek Klingon on the PC, the cut scenes with Gowron shouting at you for getting stuff wrong are quite scary, made me jump anyway.

Last edited:

That crap had me jumping out of my chair. It's a survival/horror game for PC, never talked to anyone that's played it before, a bargain bin gem perhaps?
Amnesia for sure :) It's survival horror done really well so you feel tense for most of the game.

Dead Space, all of them. Bioshock at first gave me some scare.

I started playing Outlast and it seems cool, some corpses have jumped on me while playing it so far.

playing anything with first person view is terrifying for me, i don't know why, but i just can't do it. even when there's nothing happening. i guess it just really overwhelms me and i don't know what to do. i tried to play fnaf with a friend and i had to stop because it gave me a panic attack. my heart was going so fast i felt sick, and my hands were shaking so much i could barely click out of the tab (not from the jumpscares, just the first person view and gameplay itself)) however, games that scare me (that i can play) usually frustrate me after a while, but never enough to give me nightmares, and i can laugh it off. i find when there are chase sequences, putting some catchy pop music in the background makes it a lot less nerve-racking, and helps me calm down and complete it. i find rick rolling works best xD

This is going to make me sound like a dumb fangirl, but thanks to the way he was portrayed in fanart and fanfiction, I was deeply in love with Alexander for about 4 years straight.

Though in a twist befitting the themes of psychological horror in the game itself, I began to have recurring nightmares about Alexander, including one where he pushed me into the path of a group of Gatherers and turned his back on me as I cried for help and was torn limb from limb.

Sometimes I felt Alexander's presence in the room with me, and it made me squirm. Sometimes I even started crying or screaming because I wanted so desperately to make him leave me alone. I wasn't able to properly articulate this to others at the time because I didn't know how to properly put it into words. I am verbal but I have great difficulty with finding the right way to express my thoughts and feelings in the moment. I can only properly express my feelings when I've analyzed them at a later point in time.

For what it's worth, having my medications adjusted was beneficial in getting the nightmares to stop, though they were adjusted for mostly unrelated reasons - I was still mostly unable to articulate Alexander's exact nature to those who care for me.

Sometimes I can still feel Alexander's presence around me though. Sometimes it feels like he may not ever completely leave me alone, but focusing on other, similar characters who didn't originate in horror games has certainly been helpful.

I'm playing The Evil Within 2 right now. I am at the part where I have to get the weapons boxes opened. I've gotten lost so many times, that I was getting bored, at first.

The only videos games that scare me are the ones that make my processor and GPU fan sound like a helicopter taking off, I'm genuinely frightened that they will damage my PC. For instance Dragon Age Inquisition used to cause an issue with 100% CPU usage for many (I've partly fixed it now) and it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be when I used to have a sh**y stock cooler and poorer case fans. Apart from that no video game or in fact even horror movie content has ever even slightly frightened me, if anything I find them somewhat comical.

Could you put up with this while playing a game? It's enough to frighten anyone who cares about their equipment:

Nope, my computer is extremely quiet. I built it myself and made sure that it wasn't going to make any noise that I didn't want it to make.

Well, that's what you do in The Evil Within 2. Sebastian has to use computers to move around everywhere! Or he can use mirrors to go to his office to view slides. That artist (who is a bad guy), is very hard to defeat. :D

Welp, I just finished Outlast + Whistleblower dlc, when I wrote my first impression back in my previous post I was barely starting.

Now I can definetly write a more complete opinion. I must say this is the scariest game I'ver ever played, the environment, the story, the fact you don't get any weapons to defend yourself and no map to guide you through the buildings, you only have a vodeocamera and yourself to try to escape from the place.

A great game indeed.

New Threads

Top Bottom