• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sanity Check - HFA Adult Diagnosis in USA

Hi,

I've seen a psychologist for a couple weeks, who has screened me [36 yr] for autism, ADHD, and social anxiety. The screening was performed using the DSM-5 and didn't take more than 90 minutes for all three. Based on the screening she believes I have HFA, ADHD inattentive type, and mild to moderate social anxiety.

She has recommended that I get a neuropsychological examination which includes things like IQ, attention, exec function, memory, mood, and most importantly she emphasizes the test must include ADOS-2. I'm told the testing takes around 8 hours, and that my medical insurance should cover this testing. Since I already take Adderall for ADHD I will have to discontinue the medication for the test.

Does this make sense to those who might have recently gone through this process?

Thanks!

My tests were 3 hours a session for 4 sessions or something like that.
But they were testing specifically for autism.

ADHD..,. = attention deficit hyperactive disorder
DSM-5...= Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition
HFA...... = high functioning autism
ADOS-2 = Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule, Second Edition

I think it is great that you are getting what seems to be an extreme battery of tests. Regardless of the outcome, you'll be glad to have had the tests done. It helps you know that you are dealing with. Good information.

New Threads

Top Bottom