• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ryanair sorry it made autistic Harlow boy take Covid test

Aeolienne

(Not written by me)

Ryanair sorry it made autistic Harlow boy take Covid test

Ryanair staff in Spain made an autistic boy have a Covid test before boarding a flight, despite having an exemption letter, his mother has said.

Katy Hollingsworth, who was travelling to the UK from Valencia with her son Callum, 12, said he was "petrified".

"They said if you don't have a Covid test you can't go home, so we had no choice," said Ms Hollingsworth, who is from Harlow in Essex.

The airline has apologised and says it "regrets to hear of the stress" caused.

Callum, who also has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), had struggled with lockdowns, so the family wanted to take him for a break to his "happy place" in Spain.

Ms Hollingsworth said his one previous test in January had been "a nightmare", so his doctor had provided a medical exemption letter.

He did, however, have a test before he left the UK, but his family said they spent two months preparing him for this.

Government guidance says people with medical conditions which mean they cannot take a test, do not need one to travel to the UK, providing they "present a note from a medical practitioner at check in".

'Not our problem'
On their return on 3 August, the family was told at the airport that Callum must have another Covid test in order to return to England, despite showing Ryanair staff the letter.

Ms Hollingsworth said Callum "lost it" and had a "meltdown because he thought it was his fault".

"He started hitting the chair and then started hitting himself," she said.

"The staff were just ignoring us. All they kept saying was 'it's not our problem'."

Ms Hollingsworth said while they were not "rude or aggressive", voices were "raised" and police were called to help.

"My husband then had to physically restrain my son with two members of staff to try to get him to have a test," she said.

"Callum tried to be brave but he was petrified.

"The fact that he didn't need this one made it even worse because we'd told him the previous one was going to be his one and only test."

A spokesman for the airline says it "regrets to hear of the stress" caused to the family.

"Ryanair fully complies with EU and government travel restrictions, which are constantly changing in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic," a statement said.

"We continue to make improvements and implement procedures to ensure the health and safety of our passengers and our crew is prioritised while complying with each country's government guidelines at all times."

Ms Hollingsworth said she now hoped it would not happen to others with hidden disabilities.

"If my child was in a wheelchair or had something you can see, I don't think they would have treated him the way that they did," she said.

Source: BBC News

Last edited:
What is it about being autistic that makes NTs think it's perfectly acceptable to be cruel to us when they would never be that way to people with other disabilities? Do they think we are incapable of feeling emotional or physical pain, or do they just not think at all?

What is it about being autistic that makes NTs think it's perfectly acceptable to be cruel to us

When someone is dehumanized is there any empathy?

The guy who popularized the 'autism=no empathy' theory, a renowned autism expert, posted a test for aspergers to a forum I was reading. The questions were all "Do you think other people... (are irritated by you?)".

Dr. Empathy had no idea that it would be difficult to respond truthfully. How could anyone answer that authentically?
  • NTs would presume they do know what's in other's brains - they don't know any better
  • An autistic would truthfully say IDK.
I explained it to him & he changed the questions (I had suggested, Has anyone said...) but naturally did not share credit.

Dr. Empathy then went out and made himself a name by publishing research proving we do not have empathy. The fool could not see himself in the mirror.

[QUOTE="Dr. Empathy then went out and made himself a name by publishing research proving we do not have empathy. The fool could not see himself in the mirror.[/QUOTE]
Maybe he's a vampire?

Unless I am not reading the article right, the airline is not apologizing for making the boy take the test. They are simply saying they are sorry that he experienced distress. That's totally different - that's a slick non-apology. In the same situation, they would do it again. I apologize if I am just missing something in the article.

Very sad.

I had what I assume is the same kind of swab to the sinuses test for influenza some years ago. Although the collection process was quick, it was VERY uncomfortable for me. I hear of some people who have to take Covid tests weekly for work, etc. If it's the swab to the sinuses test, I would quit my job. It was as bad as a prostate exam for me; meaning, if I had to choose between each test I'd say they were on equal footing. That's not hyperbole.

What may have been an official policy in England may not have been recognized by Ryanair in Spain. Easier to subject the kid to a test than to risk getting in trouble with local authorities.

Understand that no corporation has empathy. Ever. If they say they do, it is a lie. Only individuals have empathy. Individuals who work public-facing jobs often lose what empathy they may have had to begin with because of rude, narcissistic customers, combined with having to deal with tragic situations they have no control over. If they let their empathy rule, it would destroy them very quickly. And even if they really really want to help you, they still have to follow the rules their superiors make or they lose their livelihood.

Sometimes life just sucks and there's nothing to be done for it.

When someone is dehumanized is there any empathy?

The guy who popularized the 'autism=no empathy' theory, a renowned autism expert, posted a test for aspergers to a forum I was reading. The questions were all "Do you think other people... (are irritated by you?)".

Dr. Empathy had no idea that it would be difficult to respond truthfully. How could anyone answer that authentically?
  • NTs would presume they do know what's in other's brains - they don't know any better
  • An autistic would truthfully say IDK.
I explained it to him & he changed the questions (I had suggested, Has anyone said...) but naturally did not share credit.

Dr. Empathy then went out and made himself a name by publishing research proving we do not have empathy. The fool could not see himself in the mirror.

Those "people often tell me" questions are almost as bad...whenever I take those tests all I can think is "I really need you to understand that people don't have conversations like this. Why would they tell me? I hardly talk to anyone for one thing. For another thing, most people would probably think it's rude to say a thing like that."

Very sad.

I had what I assume is the same kind of swab to the sinuses test for influenza some years ago. Although the collection process was quick, it was VERY uncomfortable for me. I hear of some people who have to take Covid tests weekly for work, etc. If it's the swab to the sinuses test, I would quit my job. It was as bad as a prostate exam for me; meaning, if I had to choose between each test I'd say they were on equal footing. That's not hyperbole.

Personally I might rather have something shoved up my bum than take the covid swab...I always feel like the covid swab is doing damage (and considering how my sinuses felt later that day it may have!)

I actually know people who can't have the covid swab due to issues with the structure of their sinuses (due to scar tissue or deformity). I've had them a couple times and I honestly wonder once if I didn't have a false negative result because of chronic nasal dryness that meant there wasn't much to "collect".

The finger stick is much easier and faster too, of course, it's also more expensive so it's not the "preferred" method for organizations that have to do a lot of tests. I suspect the rapid test finger prick would have been easier on the kid. Trying to shove something up the nose of a struggling child isn't something I would want to do for fear of injuring them.

Personally I might rather have something shoved up my bum than take the covid swab...I always feel like the covid swab is doing damage (and considering how my sinuses felt later that day it may have!)

I actually know people who can't have the covid swab due to issues with the structure of their sinuses (due to scar tissue or deformity). I've had them a couple times and I honestly wonder once if I didn't have a false negative result because of chronic nasal dryness that meant there wasn't much to "collect".

The finger stick is much easier and faster too, of course, it's also more expensive so it's not the "preferred" method for organizations that have to do a lot of tests. I suspect the rapid test finger prick would have been easier on the kid. Trying to shove something up the nose of a struggling child isn't something I would want to do for fear of injuring them.
Making the test deliberately miserable (instead of the easy finger stick) may be a way to encourage you to get vaccinated.

I hardly talk to anyone for one thing. For another thing, most people would probably think it's rude to say a thing like that."

Families, friends, teacher-parent conferences/report cards would be the most likely informants.

@SDRSpark - what phrasing would work better for you?

There's a finger prick test? That's good to know. I have no reason to get a Covid test and I've never had one yet so I'm glad there's another option if needed. I've heard of a saliva test too?

Stories like this make me not want to go on vacation anywhere, because I don't want to get stuck if some Karen harasses me. How awful for this family, and I hope the little boy is able to forget about this and have a happy childhood.

Families, friends, teacher-parent conferences/report cards would be the most likely informants.

@SDRSpark - what phrasing would work better for you?

There isn't one...for me, this is a conversation that does not happen. Anything related to report cards etc is irrelevant (I'm an adult), most of my friends are some type of ND (and get me), otherwise they're not my friends and I have very few family members that I speak to, let alone on a regular basis.

I am mixed on this. Pandemics don't draw the line at people with autism. If they decided to take him out of a safe space, well, he could have dragged back a nasty variant with or without autism. Autism does not equal a free pass in the middle of pandemics which is why if you are fragile you better learn to stay at home and make it your happy place.

I'm sorry he was upset, but yes, he could have picked up covid, and been very poorly, and potentially infected others, so he did need to be tested in my opinion. A better plan to look after him would have been a holiday in the UK where no tests would have been required.

There's a finger prick test? That's good to know. I have no reason to get a Covid test and I've never had one yet so I'm glad there's another option if needed. I've heard of a saliva test too?
Very new and not yet out there much but there is also a breathylizer type test specifically for children.

Very new and not yet out there much but there is also a breathylizer type test specifically for children.

That's good news. It would only make sense that other less invasive tests should become available. The sinus swab is bad enough for some people to actually avoid testing as much as possible which defeats the purpose.

That's good news. It would only make sense that other less invasive tests should become available. The sinus swab is bad enough for some people to actually avoid testing as much as possible which defeats the purpose.
I also saw a TV blurb about a dog being trained to smell COVID infection on a person's breath. 75% accurate but that's not good enough for field use.

I'm sorry he was upset, but yes, he could have picked up covid, and been very poorly, and potentially infected others, so he did need to be tested in my opinion. A better plan to look after him would have been a holiday in the UK where no tests would have been required.

I would entirely agree with this EXCEPT that his family had been assured that his medical exemption would be valid. If they hadn't, they wouldn't have gone.

So they traveled under false pretenses and then were told "you can't go home if he doesn't submit to this". What followed most likely scarred the kid for life.

Ryanair shouldn't have told them there was a medical exemption until it was too late for them to change their minds about traveling.

New Threads

Top Bottom