• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Rumour - David Tennant to return to Doctor Who as the 14th Doctor?

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me. Since this is a rumour, I ask you to metaphorically take it with a grain of salt until we get something substantial to confirm or deny it)

Doctor Who: David Tennant return rumours continue as GMB presenter grills BBC boss

David Tennant could be about to replace Jodie Whittaker in Doctor Who and a BBC boss has refused to comment, according to GMB presenter

Rumours continue to swirl around who will play the next Doctor with Doctor Who fans going crazy after a 'BBC source' claimed the next Timelord would be David Tennant.

Jodie Whittaker is about to hang up her sonic screwdriver after making history as the first woman to star as the Timelord but a returning Tennant would make a different kind of history.

Although past Doctor Who actors have returned as the time traveller, no actor has played two different regenerations, but that could all change if showrunners recast the Good Omens star.

The rumour mill began after a fan posted in Facebook group 'Doctor Who Infinity' claiming a reliable 'BBC source' had said Tennant would be cast as the Fourteenth Doctor.

Now, it seems the gossip has even attracted the attention of GMB's Richard Arnold.

The entertainment editor told presenters Susanna Reid and Edd Balls that over the weekend he entertained the head of press for Doctor Who.

Even after "topping up her liquor" the BBC boss would not be drawn into speaking on the rumours, claims Arnold.

Discussing his attempts to get some sort of David Tennant news out of her, he said: "I had the head of press for Doctor Who and EastEnders over for Sunday lunch yesterday and even she wouldn't be drawn.

"Despite this, I topped up her liqueur for hours and made a spectacular lamb shoulder."

Susanna Reid questioned the validity of the claims made by fans and asked if it was a "real possibility" or just fans asking for him to come back.

But it's not as far-fetched as most might think.

The next series of the show will see returning writer Russell T Davies, who worked with Tennant during his stint as the Doctor, take over as showrunner once more.

Next year is also the 60th anniversary of the show and although Tennant returned as the Tenth Doctor in the 50th anniversary this would go some way to topping that special.

There's also no denying that the show is suffering in terms of viewing figures, the New Year's special pulled in its worst ratings since the sci-fi show rebooted 17 years ago.

So, who better to catapult those poor ratings back up and get people interested in the show than the man with the highest average viewers since the show was brought back.

And although the Doctor appears to have no control over their appearance let's not forget the Tenth Doctor somehow managed to regenerate back into himself, the Twelfth Doctor subconsciously regenerated into a person in his past and even the Master chose to regenerate into a younger man.

Even if that still seems improbable Paul McGann's Eighth Doctor was able to choose his next regeneration with a little help from the Sisterhood of Khan.

And, in classic Tom Baker serial Destiny of the Daleks, his Gallifreyan companion Romana was able to select her new body following a regeneration as well...

Who's to say the Doctor doesn't fancy reliving some former regenerations - just as Tom Baker's cameo in the 50th anniversary suggested...

See, I can tell you're believing this rumour already. Unfortunately, we're all going to have to wait as although Jodie Whittaker has already filmed her regeneration a new actor is yet to be named.

But a returning David Tennant is sure to surprise a few, that's for sure. According to the source, it will 'not be a rehash of the 10th, it will be as the 14th doctor', a role used for three specials before a new 15th doctor is cast.

"It won't be a rehash of the 10th, it will be the 14th Doctor. They'll be looking at using him for three specials which includes the 60th before casting a new 15th Doctor."

Source: GMB grill BBC boss over David Tennant Doctor Who rumours

Last edited:
Interesting stuff. As much as I wanted to like Jodie Whittaker, I couldn't even continue watching the series after a few episodes. I don't think it had as much to do with her acting ability as it had to do with how they cast her/wrote the script.

Interesting stuff. As much as I wanted to like Jodie Whittaker, I couldn't even continue watching the series after a few episodes. I don't think it had as much to do with her acting ability as it had to do with how they cast her/wrote the script.

To be fair, I started dropping off from Doctor Who during Matt Smith's run; the changes took a while to get used to. During Peter Capaldi's time I dropped off even more as the writing was awful at times and by the time Jodie rolled around, the show just didn't interest me anymore.
In regards to Jodie, there are several factors which I don't think helped:

01. She was chosen not because she was the best actress for the role, but because Chris Chibnall wanted her as they'd worked together on Broadchurch; Chibnall been specific that if he didn't get Jodie, he wouldn't be the showrunner.

02. She refused to change her Yorkshire accent because she thought doing other accents was too hard, despite the fact that David (the 10th Doctor and her co-star on Broadchurch) changed his Scottish accent for the role and the fact that she's an actress - meaning you have to play characters who aren't yourself.

03. She refused to do any research on Doctor Who beforehand because she couldn't be bothered; getting some advice from David regarding portraying the character before arguably doing a poor version of his incarnation throughout her run as the character.

Combine this with bad writing, bad effects and arguably the worst retcon in the show's history with The Timeless Children (in which the Doctor was retconned to be an orphan girl from another universe, brought to Gallifrey and then - upon discovering her ability to regenerate endlessly - tortured and murdered over and over again until the Time Lords stole that power from her; this in turn removing William Hartnell as the "First" Doctor and removing the mystery of the Doctor's origins), I honestly gave up on the show and just stuck to listening to reviews of it.
The Doctor's past is supposed to be a mystery, with the clue to that literally been in the show's title: "Doctor Who?"

Heck, if the Doctor has unlimited regenerations, this causes at least two issues: the first been that there will be little to no tension now as at least when there was a finite number, you could become concerned regarding the Doctor permanently dying.
The second been that if the Doctor has unlimited regenerations, then how come in The Time of the Doctor - which was Matt Smith's regeneration episode - he ran out of regenerations, grew old and needed the Time Lords to "reset" his regenerations?

With Russell T. Davies back in the Showrunner seat, his company Bad Wolf in full creative control of Doctor Who and with said company having been acquired by Sony - who have given us Cobra Kai, Ghostbusters: Afterlife and Spider-Man: No Way Home in recent years - this news could potentially be Doctor Who getting back on the right track, with David Tennant's possible return getting me somewhat excited if it's true.

However, I would have to insist that the Timeless Children retcon be "retconned" out and William Hartnell reinstated as the First Doctor. That point is non-negotiable, for it's one thing to want to leave your mark on something, but it's something else entirely to vandalize other people's marks in the process without remorse or regret; especially when they're no longer around to object.
If William Hartnell isn't recognized as the First Doctor, I have no interest in this new series - regardless of which Doctors, companions, villains, objects or locations they bring back.

Sorry for the long post.

I've heard this rumour, but my joy for Doctor Who has been so badly crushed that I just can't get myself to care about it anymore. I'm still going to watch reviews and keep track of the show, but the excitement for it has been ripped out of me. For me, the show started going downhill towards the end of the Smith era, and although I really liked Capaldi as an actor, I feel they totally butchered his chance of being a properly good Doctor with terrible writing and direction. Jodie Whittakers era is just unrecognisable to the franchise in my opinion so I'll be glad to see the back of her to be honest. I always thought she'd make a better Iris Wildthyme than Doctor.

I 'd only been watching the Christmas specials in recent years, but when that ended I went on sabbatical. I could be enticed back if some specific shows got really rave reviews. Or if the evil snowmen come back. ;)

9xEc.gif

Last edited:
I've heard this rumour, but my joy for Doctor Who has been so badly crushed that I just can't get myself to care about it anymore. I'm still going to watch reviews and keep track of the show, but the excitement for it has been ripped out of me. For me, the show started going downhill towards the end of the Smith era, and although I really liked Capaldi as an actor, I feel they totally butchered his chance of being a properly good Doctor with terrible writing and direction. Jodie Whittakers era is just unrecognisable to the franchise in my opinion so I'll be glad to see the back of her to be honest. I always thought she'd make a better Iris Wildthyme than Doctor.

Yeah, the most I've enjoyed Whittaker's Era has been from watching the Joe Vever parody videos of Jodie Whittaker's New Year Specials on YouTube - the parodies been called "Iron Dalek", "Not My Daleks" and "Groundhogmanay of the Daleks" respectively.
Hope you get some enjoyment out of them if you watch them.

In regards to Matt Smith's era, the only episodes I went out of my way to watch when I started losing interest was Day of the Doctor (since it was the 50th Anniversary) and Time of the Doctor (since it was Matt's regeneration episode).
The rescue of Gallifrey and the ending in Day of the Doctor with all the incarnations up to that point are two of my favourite scenes from Nu Who:

The Doctors Save Gallifrey:

"I have a new destination":

Time of the Doctor - "We all change":

Last edited:
I didn't watch much of the 12th Doctor, but liked Capaldi more as time went on. I thought perhaps he grew well into the role. I also like his companions, Clara, sometimes River Song and believe it or not this guy...

2fc191uo0wv1000 (2).jpg

I thought he was a nice break of the mold. :D

After weeks now of "no comment" about David Tennant returning as the 14th, they better do it or they'll destroy the little momentum for future viewership they made with RTD's return. If not, the more casual former viewers who have been chatting about this online for weeks now will feel lied to and not bother with it. So I really hope the Tennant rumors are true or the series really won't get the ratings a company like Sony expects and it will get cut.

I really like Peter Capaldi as an actor and I was so disappointed that they were far on the way to ruining the series at that point. He was stuck with bad stories, bad direction and a truly terrible companion in Bill. Why did Bill have to state multiple times every show that she was a lesbian? Seriously, who cares? What did that have to do with anything? Pointless garbage issues forced into my escapism really pisses me off, and looking at the ratings decline from Matt Smith's departure until now I think I'm not alone in that opinion. Then Chibnall and Whitaker put the nails in the coffin. Them blaming the fans for declining ratings that were really due to their inadequacies in literally everything was pathetic. Then to top it all off, when I read online about the total destruction of the back history of the series it proved they were more than ignorant and arrogant, but just assholes out to spite the entire fandom. I really hope that RTD retcons everything from Matt Smith's regeneration to Peter Capaldi onwards, otherwise I don't see a reason to start watching again.

River Song was a great companion. She was his equal in every way and the prickly chemistry was great. So was Captain Jack. Neither was a normal human. The problem with Clara and Rose is that the human companion became more important to the plot at times than the Doctor. No matter how much I lusted after her I didn't tune in to see the Superhuman Rose Show. The Doctor's human companions need to stay ordinary - plucky and yet fragile and flawed. I need to be able to identify with them.

The Doctor should never fawn over anyone. The fans do not want a touchy-feely Doctor.

No problem with a female doctor. Jodie Whittaker could be a fine doctor but the scripts she has to work with disrespect the entire 60-year history of the show. They are also shot full of really bad holes and the flux arc was the worst of the lot. Most of the universe is destroyed and everything you thought you knew is now a lie. (But we liked it the way it was! Is ticking off your fan base part of your new marketing strategy?)

It is NEVER the customer's fault something didn't sell, the voter's fault someone lost an election, or the fan's fault something lost popularity. As the producer of a product in the marketplace, it is your duty to make sure you have something that the people actually want. And that they want it more than they want the competition.

Don't turn Doctor Who into just another sci-fi adventure.

Last edited:
Totally agree with everything except the female Doctor issue. My reasoning in the unpopular gender debate is this: Susan was a non-Timelord Gallifreyan, so they had created two separate genders existing on Gallifrey from day one of the series. Because if not all Gallifreyans are Time Lords, and the entire race don't all naturally regenerate, which is a specific Timelord privilege, then gender swapping makes no sense. So as for Timelords regenerating to other genders, after the introduction Romana's regeneration they showed that gender is not interchangeable in that reality, and also that females have more control over the event. So unless some unnatural interference, such as The Sisterhood giving him a special potion as in the McGann into the War Doctor situation, then male is male and female is female. Then at that point, there is no stated rule as to if the following regeneration they would stay as female or revert back to male.

I love my escapes form reality and I really want those fictional worlds to keep their cannon histories consistent. Also, I noticed you mentioned somewhere that you are mostly a 60's-70's Doctor Who fan, as I myself am. Although I am a totally dedicated fan of all the first four, my two favorites are tied between Tom Baker and Pat Troughton. I met Pat at a Chicago convention in 1982 (interestingly enough right after getting Tom's autograph) and he was a really great, sweet natured fellow who insisted to security (who weren't thrilled with the idea) that we take a picture together when I asked for one.

Ya know, Dr. Who has a "daughter" out there somewhere. Actually a clone of some variety.

The Doctor's Daughter - Episode aired Jun 6, 2008

Ya know, Dr. Who has a "daughter" out there somewhere. Actually a clone of some variety.

The Doctor's Daughter - Episode aired Jun 6, 2008

Yeah, I remember her; kinda sad that she never became a proper companion:

That said, she has appeared in other Doctor Who media as well as reuniting with several incarnations of her dad - including the 10th Doctor.
wpXpV2EEgQ9UphS4hCynkAKea-OLmGTP-VEBXMLW7aw3T6y-_tplD7speZpZOG5tUvq0GUmaVA5hqeQu4ZyhyjIo0tV0LtxJDr90gwdDsIdM8aw84sgfC2v006jB8_mVm4UZVFx4bQ=s0

On a side note, I find it hilarious how Jenny is played by Georgia Moffet, the daughter of Peter Davidson (the 5th Doctor). On top of that, she went to school with the daughter of Colin Baker (the 6th Doctor) before - most notably - getting married to David Tennant.

I dearly hope that his expectations are realized. Though it is a shame Jody Foster was the protagonist when Chibnall messed things up. I liked her and thought she'd be a great Dr. Who with a different writer.

I also liked the female Master. Michelle Gomez, aka Missy.

I've been listening to The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield with the Unbound Doctor. He's an alternate universe Doctor where his universe is dying after a great war. He tried to stabilise it by bringing Bernice from N-space to his universe, hoping she'd act as an anchor point, but it fails and she becomes trapped.

The Doctor is voiced by David Warner, he does make a really good Doctor, and Summerfield is always such a good character to listen to.

I dearly hope that his expectations are realized. Though it is a shame Jody Foster was the protagonist when Chibnall messed things up. I liked her and thought she'd be a great Dr. Who with a different writer.

I also liked the female Master. Michelle Gomez, aka Missy.

I think you mean Jodie Whittaker, but I get what you mean. :)
I'd personally only seen her before in Attack the Block - a sci-fi horror comedy about aliens landing on a council estate in South London. She was okay in that; playing a newly qualified nurse who gets mugged by a gang of youths before having to join up with them when the aliens (which are basically a group of wild animals) target her and the group.
Honestly, I enjoyed this film more that the 13th Doctor's seasons.

Sadly, Jodie Whittaker as an actress hasn't rubbed off on me. As I've mentioned previously, she wouldn't change her Yorkshire accent for the role and she didn't do any research for her role as the Doctor (instead doing a poor impression of David Tennant's version) because she couldn't be bothered.
On top of that, during one of her interviews for Vulture regarding her becoming the Doctor, she declared the following:

"What Chris wanted to do, particularly in the cast and in the story, is reflect the world we live in today. Very often, we're only seeing stories being told through the white male gaze. That's what Doctor Who always celebrated".

As soon as I read that, I remember thinking to myself "oh for goodness sake - can you leave the identity politics out of it?!"
Also, I'm pretty certain there are plenty of fans of both Classic Who and Nu Who that would disagree with that "white male gaze" statement.

I think you mean Jodie Whittaker, but I get what you mean. :)
Also, I'm pretty certain there are plenty of fans of both Classic Who and Nu Who that would disagree with that "white male gaze" statement.

Jodie Foster as Doctor Who would be a kick!

"White male gaze..." I am so tired of identity politics! It is why the world is at war and terrorism is so common. People identify with their group more than they do with their humanity.

It is true that many of Dr. Who's companions have been exquisitely beautiful. But that is a near-universal trait in modern entertainment, not just Dr. Who. At the same time, they have sometimes become so powerful in their own right they take over the show.

And a lot of women liked the show exactly as it was. So there is a fair amount of female gaze going on.

Jodie Foster as Doctor Who would be a kick!

"White male gaze..." I am so tired of identity politics! It is why the world is at war and terrorism is so common. People identify with their group more than they do with their humanity.

It is true that many of Dr. Who's companions have been exquisitely beautiful. But that is a near-universal trait in modern entertainment, not just Dr. Who. At the same time, they have sometimes become so powerful in their own right they take over the show.

And a lot of women liked the show exactly as it was. So there is a fair amount of female gaze going on.

True.
In any case, it's been proven now that David won't be reprising the role as the 14th Doctor. Instead, it's going to an actor I've never heard of named Ncuti Gatwa (although from what I understand, the "Nc" part of his named is pronounced the same way as "Sh").

Interestingly, I've read that one of the original choices for the 14th Doctor was actor Toby Stephens; the son of Dame Maggie Smith and who has starred in several films and TV shows.
Apparently, a scene of Jodie's incarnation of the Doctor regenerating into him was filmed, with his first lines upon seeing his new appearance been "I'm finally a Ginger!"

However, and in a similar way to how Hollywood constantly replaces redheaded characters with black characters - whether it's Annie (Annie), Mary Jane Watson (MCU Spider-Man), Cyclone (Black Adam) or Ariel (The Little Mermaid) among others - he didn't get the role despite both Russell and Sony wanting him as Russell liked him and Toby was under contract with Sony at the time.
The reason was the BBC apparently forced Ncuti Gatwa into the role as they still have some control over the program.

Additionally from what I've heard, Sony wants to do with Doctor Who what Disney has done with Marvel; that being to create a small scale, MCU-style "Doctor Who-verse" with other shows alongside the main show.
The shows that are supposedly planned for this (although whether they go ahead or not isn't clear as nothing is set in stone) are as follows:

• A spin-off of Torchwood, with Captain Jack Harkness (John Barrowman) as the main lead.
  • A paranormal detective-style show starring former companions Ace and K-9, who will be investigating paranormal/otherworldly events.
  • Animated mini-series that will create new adventures for the Classic Doctors, with Sylvester McCoy (the 7th Doctor) and Paul McGann (the 8th Doctor) apparently been confirmed for this, while a former Big Finish writer will be working on it.
  • A new TV series centered around Rose Tyler protecting Earth in the alternate universe from Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel, with Billie Piper most likely returning for this.

Despite all this, I stick by what I've said previously.
If the Timeless Children isn't retconned and William Hartnell recognized as the "First" Doctor, I no longer care about anything Doctor Who-related; this point is non-negotiable for me.

If the Timeless Children isn't retconned and William Hartnell recognized as the "First" Doctor, I no longer care about anything Doctor Who-related; this point is non-negotiable for me.
I'm also a Doctor Who fan & fully appreciate William Hartnell as the first Doctor.

I did not like the direction they took the show, with Jodie as the Doctor. She was great herself, but the script! Aaahhh!!! No more enjoying the show, just to enjoy it. Now, we have to watch them have all these "deep-&-meaningfuls", teaching about life lessons, with only 30 seconds left to save the world!

New Threads

Top Bottom