1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Rumors Of Justice Anthony Kennedy Retiring ?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Judge, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

This could be politically significant if it turns out to be true. 81 year old Justice Kennedy has generally been considered a moderate who frequently swings to the right. If he were to leave in the near future, it's certain that the Trump administration would replace him with a more conservative justice, potentially tipping the balance clearly in favor of ideological conservatives. Although there's never any guarantee they will adjudicate every case along ideological lines.

This would place that much more stress on liberal Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who doesn't appear to have any intention of stepping down at the age of 84 given the existing ideological mix of the court. It could also put more stress on certain civil liberties precedents (such as rights to abortion) which could potentially change with such an ideological swing of the court.

In most cases, progressive "landmark decisions" are not legally challenged once adjudicated by our highest court. However with such a potential ideological shift in the court, some rights we have taken for granted over the decades could prove to be at risk. A legal dynamic that I once considered virtually impossible. But "the impossible" appears to be on our doorstep.

Rumors are swirling that Justice Anthony Kennedy will soon retire from the Supreme Court

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Hang on is right. Poor Justice Ginsburg...having to hang onto life itself to prevent the court from a profound shift to the right that could last for decades. Tough old lady though. :cool:

4. Mary Terry

Mary Terry Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I'm afraid you're correct, Judge. Trump will pack the court with men who cater to his particular brand of cruelty and disregard for the doctrine of stare decisis. I don't see him ever appointing a progressive female to the bench. God bless Ruth Ginsburg. I think she's going to die with her boots on, so to speak, if her health will allow her.