• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Royal Holloway study on gender, mental health and accessing psychology services

KateWhitaker2016

Introduction
My name is Kate and I'm a Trainee Clinical Psychologist at Royal Holloway, University of London. I am conducting research which aims to collect lived experiences of autistic adults in the UK, around gender identity, mental health, and accessing mental health or other psychology services. The research involves completing a 25 min online survey and offers a £100 prize draw.

About the research
I am interested to gather the experiences of as many autistic adults in the UK as possible. I would like to hear from people of all gender identities and whether you have or have not experienced mental health difficulties. I hope that the results can contribute to autistic voices being heard in relation to mental health, and to improving services for autistic and gender-diverse adults.

Contact details
If you have any queries about the research, you can contact me at kate.whitaker.2016[AT]live.rhul.ac.uk

Link to the research/survey
The survey can be found at http://bit.ly/AutGenMH along with further information.

There is also a Twitter link if you would like to share the survey with others.

Many thanks for reading this.

Whats that funny looking symbol in front of the 100? Does it mean Euros?

Intuitively, I don't "feel" like this "survey" will be conducive to improving the well-being of anyone on the spectrum. On the website provided, the following statement was made:

"We would like to do this so that we can ensure all autistic adults are getting any help and support they may need and are not being left out or excluded from services."

In today's society it is actually legally mandated that anyone with any condition can receive "help and support". Being "left out or excluded" would be a violation of any such legalities. This "survey" sounds more like a "gathering" of information that can be compiled into a "database" for the purpose of "psychological profiling" so the all-ready screwed up field of psychology can further "socially discriminate" against those of us on the spectrum.

Intuitively, I don't "feel" like this "survey" will be conducive to improving the well-being of anyone on the spectrum. On the website provided, the following statement was made:

"We would like to do this so that we can ensure all autistic adults are getting any help and support they may need and are not being left out or excluded from services."

In today's society it is actually legally mandated that anyone with any condition can receive "help and support". Being "left out or excluded" would be a violation of any such legalities. This "survey" sounds more like a "gathering" of information that can be compiled into a "database" for the purpose of "psychological profiling" so the all-ready screwed up field of psychology can further "socially discriminate" against those of us on the spectrum.

Hi,

From initially speaking with the group of autistic adults I consulted with, many said that they have been excluded from mainstream mental health services when they needed support, which as you say is a big problem. This was especially difficult for those who also identified as trans, some of whom felt they weren’t taken seriously in services. I would like services to change.

I know I may not be able to convince you of my good intentions, but I do take people’s well-being very seriously and hope that this research will honestly report the views of autistic adults in the hope of reducing discrimination.

With best wishes,

Kate

New Threads

Top Bottom