• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Romantic movie clichés you're tired of seeing

SunnyDay16

The main cliches I'm tired of seeing in romance movies are:
  • Guy keeps persisting even after the girl says no multiple times and acts uninterested; he still gets the girl in the end
  • Angsty, depressed character is "saved" by a love interest (aka the "healing power" of true love)
  • Innocent good girl with bad boy
  • Arguing being seen as chemistry (ex: two people can't get along on anything, so they must want to get in each other's pants!)

I’m not to keen on romantic movies. Horror movies though pff there’s so many clichés in horror movies it’s not even funny.

Couple get separated by zombies. Zombies kill girl, girl kills boyfriend, and their love continues as zombies.

zombie.jpg

Girl is engaged or at least rather committed, girl meets other guy, pursues guy, then dumps fiance. Also anyone chasing down anyone headed to the airport. Blah!

I agree with all of the above, and probably all of the below, as well.
I can't stand sappy, campy, clichéd, etc., love stories.
What I mean to say, is that I don't like love stories.
That being said... there is one...
perhaps the only one.
The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Last edited:
The main cliches I'm tired of happens to be all of them. I can't say that I'm big on romance movies, but I do like mindless movies.

The main cliches I'm tired of seeing in romance movies are:
  • Guy keeps persisting even after the girl says no multiple times and acts uninterested; he still gets the girl in the end
  • Angsty, depressed character is "saved" by a love interest (aka the "healing power" of true love)
  • Innocent good girl with bad boy
  • Arguing being seen as chemistry (ex: two people can't get along on anything, so they must want to get in each other's pants!)

I don't like romantic movies, in particular romantic comedies or these feelgood, happy-end movies, for that very reason, that they are so cliched - you've watched one, you've watched them all. Yawn!

Lead character lives on their own in prime London location despite being in a not particularly well-paid job (if indeed the job is ever mentioned)
First kiss invariably leads to first shag
No-one asks about condoms
Weddings can always be arranged at short notice

I don't like too many romantic movies, Mainly I find most to be cheesy, But once in a rare while there is a good one

One I liked most recently was The Phantom Thread thought that one was really good

I'm not into romance movies at all, although most of the animated Disney movies I do like have romantic fairy tale themes, being that they were based on original fairy tales and all.

I'm not sure if this counts as a cliche, but in so many romantic movies there's always a scene where the couple in love are about kiss but they get interrupted by something or someone. It's much more common in romantic comedies but it can happen in more serious ones too.

Last edited:
Confession time. I absolutely loved Passengers, even though the “romance” was so heavily criticised. Two people isolated and falling in love is my favourite trope. The angst and guilt was an added bonus.

New Threads

Top Bottom