• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Roleplaying

savi83

Hi everybody,

I have recently had a job interview which contained roleplay's.

I feel that I really struggle with roleplaying. I really struggle with putting myself into fake situations.

Does anyone else struggle with roleplaying?

Regards,

S

I have to know the story and like what I'm supposed to do but if I get into it I can do it, otherwise I try and let the other person control it. But that is a common thing with autism

Yes, that would be extremely uncomfortable. A therapist wanted me to do it once and I refused.

I keep trying to figure this out. Role playing as in like actors do when playing a part? What kind of interview would require that? Or are you talking more along the lines of masking and pretending to be something you are not?
I'm like Fino and would not be able to pretend to be someone else. Like if I were asked to act out my sister - no. I can tell you about her but I couldn't act it out.
But masking I'm good at, and after 60 years of doing it I should be good at it. Most people know me according to them and not according to me. :)

Role-playing has been part of my family experience.
My mom and dad played D&D while they dated.
Leading to the "boots of puddle seeking" - Boots that when worn made you stand in the nearest body of water, and other silliness.
Role-playing games were a playground to experiment with cause and effect and morality with "normal" people for me.
Still a good method of experimentation and entertainment for me.
Like most things in life I got what I put into it in conjunction with the quality of the people I associated with.
Easy way to tell if it's a good DM or not: If they give you anything you want - One DM gave me a quiver I could pull any sort of missile weapon I wanted out of - I used scud missiles and it wasn't overpowered.
This ruins credulity.
More recently my DMs err in the opposite direction - unless it fits their cookie cutter puzzle requirements it usually fails.
Which is to say I've been disappointed in my role-playing endeavors of late.

Though to be fair the last time I DMed a game I did a Sci-Fi.
and the party went into a bar pulled a gun on a group of mercs and got blown away in 12 seconds(2 turns).
3 pistols vs 3 select fire rifles and 2 submachineguns and they didn't leave the doorway.
A fatal funnel if you will.
I told them this was a bad idea and they knew I had a military background.
Fastest wipe I've ever seen.

I keep trying to figure this out. Role playing as in like actors do when playing a part? What kind of interview would require that?

I once went through such a series of interviews that inevitably involved having an aptitude for such deceptions. I kind of got "ambushed" in applying for one job when I was really being interviewed for something far more exotic that would involve such social skills I didn't think I had. Even though I was unaware at the time of being on the spectrum, nevertheless my instincts told me to bail on this "opportunity" and I did.

Ironically I do occasionally wonder if self-awareness at an early age might have made me more confident in attempting such things. That instead of being introverted and horrified at standing on a stage in front of so many people I might have actually enjoyed the prospect of pretending to be another person, just to fulfill some kind of specific objective, whether it was to entertain an audience or something far more complex involving great risk.

Last edited:
hmm... I guess my understanding of Role-playing is different due to context/perspective.
To me this was an exercise we did regularly - putting ourselves in others shoes in order to understand them.
My dad wanted to join the diplomatic core - a goal that ended when my mom found out the family would require bodyguards.

hmm... I guess my understanding of Role-playing is different due to context/perspective.
To me this was an exercise we did regularly - putting ourselves in others shoes in order to understand them.
My dad wanted to join the diplomatic core - a goal that ended when my mom found out the family would require bodyguards.

That was much more within the context that I thought about and posted of as well.

Where role-playing can involve complex ruses and minor deceptions. Diplomats are like icebergs. What little you see on the surface isn't so important as what is below it. Often a difference in what one does or doesn't say, and what they are actually thinking at any given time.

Though while the civilized world generally follows all the protocols of diplomatic immunity, terrorists and operatives from rogue nations don't care in the least.

Last edited:
Indeed.
We started small and expanded as our understanding increased.
But the starting point is always "What would I do in their place" in accordance to what you know.
There is no accounting for what you don't know, But you can think of it as a variable in an equation that you don't have all the variables for - analogy don't try to model people's motivations in math.

New Threads

Top Bottom