• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Roleplaying

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
Sorry I've been inactive everyone! Computer has a graphics card problem and it's in the shop, and our internet got shut off so I'm on my mother's hotspot.

Anyway.

RP (roleplaying) is one of my favorite hobbies.

Hop on Discord, jump into the shoes of a character you made and do whatever you want as an escape from the horrible thing called Reality? That's an autistic person's dream!

I find it to be very therapeautic and I did something like this in school with the elective Theater club i took.

I'm on a discord server that Roleplays as Pokemon or Pokemon trainers. And i chose a wonderful idea for sort of an Autistic perspective, although i don't know who'd agree with me...

JPEG_20190612_173918.png

This is Pearl, my Cinccino character. She lives in a forest and loves singing, collecting berries, or just taking walks. If she has to fight, don't back her into a corner, because she will snap.

The reason i chose a female character is because IRL, I inherited a lot of feminine traits from my mother's side of the family (I.E. crying, being emotional, explosive anger, resentment), and also because people usually view autistic patients as lesser beings, who are "smaller" than others without the affliction are. So, by choosing something friendly and kind like Pearl, the image of Aspergers syndrome would be more approachable and maybe more understandable (someone on the server told me they are also Autistic, so this goes hand in hand), because one thing about Autism is that lots of people don't understand it, or they refuse to.

So, you could view Pearl as sort of a "mascot" of sorts, at least in my opinion.

I also roleplay on other places and servers too, and even other games like Garry's Mod with the DarkRP gamemode.

The only thing about it is that you have to learn the rules and you have to make your actions and descriptions elaborate.

Your character is pretty cute!

I'm not sure I understand how your role playing world goes,

But I am pretty sure I don't like "crying" "resentment" and "explosive anger" described as feminine. I don't think there's anything fundamentally feminine about them.

Crying is, as best as we understand, an evolved social trait that non verbally communicates a need for assistance which could be quite useful in a cooperative tribe.

Resentment is a response to not being allowed to express and validate your negative feelings, and it usually arises in people who are trapped in their situation. The only thing feminine about that is the ongoing oppression of women that makes them more likely to be trapped.

And explosive anger, well, women in much of the world are still not allowed to express any anger -- explosive or otherwise -- because anger is reserved for dominant members of society.

Of course, if you want to role play a female character then any reason you have is fine. I just take issue with being told I am a certain way when I'm not.

I have absolutely zero creativity or ability to roleplay. I've tried it.

But I think it's cool the people who do, being able to create your own world, even utopia if you wish.

I've started playing D&D recently, but found myself already struggling to give my character any discernible qualities. Making up a backstory and all that, no problem. To actually act out that character in a group... that I found very challenging and I haven't succeeded in yet.

I've started playing D&D again after ~ 5 years.
My current group is made up of professional comedians (2 of them are flatmates) though, they're all drama queens in game,
while my most dramatic effort still comes across as stoic in comparison.
Actually got penalized in XP because of it - our DM is new, a drama queen, but his story is pretty good so far so I can forgive.

Lately I've been completely unable to relate to their characters, while we're supposed to have a shared overall goal - we don't work together well, we're supposed to hold together an alliance between ~10 different factions or so but we're split between 3 of these factions, one of which I'm morally opposed to (2 players, they treat everybody with disdain - fits their characters) (they're religious slavers, con artists, aristocrats and sycophants) others are a military organization (2 players) (I'm fine with the faction but one player always plays a frankly insane character - this time he's mythomaniac that thinks everyone is trying to rob him, lacks any sense of time) and a scientific/industrial guild (Just me).

So far we've killed the leaders of 2 factions after they attacked us when we attempted to talk to them about the issue.
I think we should be able to try again with one of these factions once they get a new leader as they don't know we did it.
The others have betrayed each other twice now.
Thinking I'll split from the group - perhaps I'll end up the "villain" pursuing the original goal as the others don't seem psychologically capable of achieving it.

feminine traits from my mother's side of the family (I.E. crying, being emotional, explosive anger, resentment)

Does this mean my husband isn't allowed to resent things or cry? He doesn't have explosive anger and he's not that emotional, so I guess that counts for him but if the other stuff makes him feminine then maybe he should see a doctor or something :eek:

Oh no, wait...those are just traits you mentioned, not inherently feminine ones :rolleyes:

Yeah. I'm basically %75 woman, %25 man.

Hence the floofy singing cat/chinchilla you see before you.

They're not feminine traits. And the statement is sexist.

You know, I wasn't outwardly trying to be sexist. What I was trying to say is that I'm psychologically half a girl, dang it.

Don't jump to conclusions, man. That's how friendships are destroyed before they even happen.

You know, I wasn't outwardly trying to be sexist. What I was trying to say is that I'm psychologically half a girl, dang it.

Don't jump to conclusions, man. That's how friendships are destroyed before they even happen

Ok, so you weren't 'outwardly' trying to be sexist, but that doesn't change that what you said is sexist. Nobody jumped to any conclusions, we just read what you posted.

Regardless, roleplaying interests me but I don't have any imagination. I enjoy RPG video games, and I used to play Pathfinder but the tabletop gaming kinda fell by the wayside.

Look, @UberScout was trying to connect with women and his feminine side. We explained that he had a misconception and I don't think there was any malice in his post. Let's not put him on the spot or gang up on him. I think the point has been made clear.

How many of us have never offended because of the way we said something? Or been accused of being racist/misogynistic/bigoted/whatever because we said it how we saw it and people thought we were making a judgment instead of just an observation? Or whatever other misunderstanding.

You Ever Say Really Offensive Things Online?

I think it's just that. A miscommunication with a little bit of a misunderstanding.

So let's talk about role playing, ok?

When I was a kid I was really curious about dungeons and dragons, but the instructions -- or lack thereof -- confused me. Then my youth pastor at church ran a role playing game and it was sick fun...
except the end was kind of one of those gotcha! lessons. The boss was this undefeatable character with like 10 times the total hit points in our entire group and he had powers to reduce any one of us instantly to a single hit point just to make a point. He said he'd kill us if we didn't abandon our quest and join him. One of us said ok and the rest of us said Screw you! And then he was like, Just kidding! Haha the one who agreed to join me just forsook their god so, you're dead! The rest of you: you win!

...I liked the game until that last point because it was like, hmmm, that doesn't make any sense. I would have like to play again. I actually think they might be even more fun than video games and board games because you can get so creative.

New Threads

Top Bottom