• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

RIP Stephen Sondheim

Gerald Wilgus

V.I.P Member
A giant of American theater has left us and I am sad at his passing. His work spoke to me in so many ways and it is hard for me to pick my favorite. I discovered him when I was in New Jersey for training and spent a couple of days in NYC, getting Hot Tix for Sweeney Todd.

One of my favorite pieces of his is Children Will Listen, from Into the Woods. I think it is a very powerful thought.

Do you have any Sondheim favorites?

Thank you. I had not heard. The world is richer for his music. Thank you Stephen.

A true giant who revolutionized musical theatre.

To name just one song is impossible for me to do. I have been a fan from the beginning and eagerly sought out each new work, even more so when he started writing his own music to accompany his remarkable facility with words.

I saw an out of town revival, headed for Broadway, of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum with Phil Silvers in the lead. I saw the original production of "A Little Night Music" on Broadway with Glenis Johns as Madame Armfeldt. I also have seen touring productions of Pacific Overtures, Sweeny Todd, Company, and I think I own every cast recording and a few taped or filmed productions of his work (if that isn't enough I subscribe to BroadwayHD;)).

Also, let us not forget that he also co-wrote the screenplay for the puzzle/crime drama "The Last of Sheila" with Anthony Perkins (you know, that Norman Bates guy:eek:).

I will miss the excitement of discovering something new of his. My soul is poorer for his passing.

@Richelle-H, "I will miss the excitement of discovering something new of his. My soul is poorer for his passing." - but oh so much richer for having experienced the joy he brought to you!

@Richelle-H , I have been blessed to see some amazing productions. Two notable were seeing Pacific Overtures at the Kennedy Center produced by the New National Theater of Tokyo, and Frogs, performed in a swimming pool by the Pegasus Players in Chicago. Two and a half years ago my spouse and I made a vacation of seeing seven plays in six days in London. Among them Company, with a female lead, and Follies at the National Theater of Great Britain. And in 2006 there was a celebration with performances of his songs and music in Chicago's Millennium Park at the Frank Geary designed bandshell (with exceptional acoustics on the lawn). I was ecstatic when Liz Callaway and George Hearn sang A Little Priest. Sondheim's works are woven into the fabric of my life.

Such a great contribution to the music world.
I guess if I had to pick my favourite it would be the intro and ballad of Sweeney Todd.
Intense.

New Threads

Top Bottom