• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

RIP Robin Williams 1951-2014

dudeman

Robin Williams, famed comedian and actor, has passed away. He was found dead in his home and the initial investigation suggests he may have committed suicide. He had reportedly been suffering from severe depression. He leaves behind an immense body of work including an unforgettable and inimitable performance as The Genie in Disney's Aladdin, a role he reprised in Aladdin And The King Of Thieves. He was 63.

sad-genie.gif

Hmm. Yeah. Been reading that around. Even though celebrities die all the time, this one seems to hit a bit harder. I think you could see the real person inside of Robin more than some famous people.

It does show... Robin was amazingly successful in so many ways. You would imagine that he should have been a very happy person. ... but he, and we all, have demons inside our heads that we can't always defeat.

So, so sad. Dead Poets Society was a turning point for me when I saw it at age 10, and I've always held him close to my heart as someone who portrayed with authenticity the kind of human I wanted to be. Go well Mr Williams :(

There are no words to describe such a struggle. But I know there are those of us here who share it.

It does show... Robin was amazingly successful in so many ways. You would imagine that he should have been a very happy person. ... but he, and we all, have demons inside our heads that we can't always defeat.
I was talking to my mother about this while listening to Henry Winkler pay his respects. Mr. Williams was no doubt a very happy person on some days, but on others, he struggled. As someone also battling depression, I feel I understand at least a little bit of what he must have felt. And yet, in spite of his pain, he always put his best face on for his audience.

You're a real gem, Robin, and we won't forget you.

So very sad...there are so many that do not understand depression and how bad it can make you feel

RIP Robin...you gave us so much

Why are our greatest dying on us ?!?!? First Harold Ramis, Ernest Borgnin and now Robin Williams ? This is unreal and unbelievable! He can't flipping be dead! :(

Yes, he does leave behind a great legacy but his immortality is left in his movies and everything he was in... R.I.P. Robin Williams, man of many talents and voices ...

Why are our greatest dying on us ?!?!? First Harold Ramis, Ernest Borgnine and now Robin Williams?
Death is part of life. Some people are taken by age after a long time. Some die due to illness. Others are taken from us more violently. It's never a pleasant thing to hear about, but death is one thing that eventually reaches everyone.

Something I read this evening that made me sad to think about, this is a reminder that fame and riches don't exempt anyone from troubles and unhappiness:

Robin Williams, R.I.P. | News From ME

They're calling it an "apparent suicide" and I will not pretend to understand the Why of that, though many others will. They'll blame chemical imbalances, drugs, career swings, general insanity, relationship problems, the works. Speaking generally, it has been my observation that when rich 'n' famous people kill themselves, it's because they're not happy and don't have the rationale that poor, non-famous people have. Poor and non-famous people can always say, "Well, of course I'm depressed. I'm poor and non-famous. If I were rich and famous, then I'd be happy." But when you're rich and famous and respected and still miserable, what possible remedy do you have to believe will change things?

I wasn't a great fan of everything he was in, but he probably still managed to elevate a lot of those movies. The genie from Disney's Aladdin is maybe one of the things I'll remember him for the most. I still think he had a great "Henry Fonda in Once Upon a Time in the West" villain role in him that maybe he could have played in a Quentin Tarantino movie or something (Yes, he did some memorable darker roles in movies like One Hour Photo and Insomnia, but never quite on that same iconic level, I think).

So, so sad. Dead Poets Society was a turning point for me when I saw it at age 10, and I've always held him close to my heart as someone who portrayed with authenticity the kind of human I wanted to be. Go well Mr Williams :(

O' Captain! My Captain!

One of those guys who had The Fire burning in his soul, but as it often goes, The Fire is usually accompanied by The Deep Blue Darkness. Such is the way of the world I guess... :(

I'll be watching Dead Poets Society again today (for the gazillionth time). And Good Will Hunting. And his stand-ups, those were some mother****ing roller coasters of hilarity...

Here's the complete Walt Whitman poem:

O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won,
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
But O heart! heart! heart!
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills,
For you bouquets and ribbon’d wreaths—for you the shores a-crowding,
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;
Here Captain! dear father!
The arm beneath your head!
It is some dream that on the deck,
You’ve fallen cold and dead.

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still,
My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will,
The ship is anchor’d safe and sound, its voyage closed and done,
From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won;
Exult O shores, and ring O bells!
But I with mournful tread,
Walk the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

O' Captain! My Captain!

One of those guys who had The Fire burning in his soul, but as it often goes, The Fire is usually accompanied by The Deep Blue Darkness. Such is the way of the world I guess... :(

I'll be watching Dead Poets Society again today (for the gazillionth time). And Good Will Hunting. And his stand-ups, those were some mother****ing roller coasters of hilarity...

Here's the complete Walt Whitman poem:

O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won,
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
But O heart! heart! heart!
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills,
For you bouquets and ribbon’d wreaths—for you the shores a-crowding,
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;
Here Captain! dear father!
The arm beneath your head!
It is some dream that on the deck,
You’ve fallen cold and dead.

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still,
My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will,
The ship is anchor’d safe and sound, its voyage closed and done,
From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won;
Exult O shores, and ring O bells!
But I with mournful tread,
Walk the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

I'll be watching it again too, maybe tonight. I may have to force my husband to watch it too, he's not sure he's ever seen it! I was shocked LOL

I'll be watching it again too, maybe tonight. I may have to force my husband to watch it too, he's not sure he's ever seen it! I was shocked LOL
Blaspheme! :)
Tie him down to a chair in front of the TV if you have to.

Has anyone else seen Popeye, Mrs. Doubtfire, and Hook? Great films.

I remember those movies, especially Mrs Doubtfire because of the homemade Lasagna I had on my B-day when I was either eight or nine. Hook was another childhood favorite.

I caught Popeye on one of the movie channels, like TMC or Max in the early 2000's I think ...

There's quite a lot of links on the net alluding to him being on the spectrum, as you've said, some of his reactions to situations are ones we can see ourselves in.

For me, I loved Bicentennial Man. That struggle for recognition and acceptance was very powerful for me, although the 'box office' didn't see it as one of his best.

I hope he has found the peace he deserves.

I remember watching the Aladdin movie when I was very young (I mean VERY young, around the age of 6, over 10 years ago). It was on VHS tape and I remember I really enjoyed watching certain scenes over and over again. I think the genie, which Robin Williams performed, was my favourite character in the movie. If there was to be another Aladdin movie in the future by Disney, it wouldn't feel the same without the same voice actor.

Nevertheless, considering the bits and pieces shared by the media, it makes me wonder if he was an Aspie.
I don't know. I think sometimes it's easy to get carried away with that kind of thinking. Aspies can be oddballs, but not all oddballs are Aspies.

If there was to be another Aladdin movie in the future by Disney, it wouldn't feel the same without the same voice actor.
Actually, he had some contractual disagreements or something with Disney after the first film, so for the first sequel and the Aladdin TV show, Disney looked to Dan Castellaneta to voice Genie. He did a great job, but Robin Williams will obviously always come to mind first. The man owned that role, as he did with every part he played.

New Threads

Top Bottom