1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Riots happening near where I live

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by QueenOfFrance87, May 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QueenOfFrance87

QueenOfFrance87 Let them eat tuna! V.I.P Member

Right now, there are riots happening near my home because a black man named George Floyd was killed by an officer. Honestly, I am a little scared because I live in Cleveland, and parts of it can be dangerous. Sometimes I fear that someone would ransack my house, stab or shoot me, and steal my laptop, cell phone, and Switch. Even though my mom reassured me that we live in the safer part of Cleveland, I am still concerned because some of these people are unpredictable. The city is now under a curfew from 8pm to 8am for the next two days, but what do I do from here, and how do I go from spending the next two days from living in fear?

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. PinkPenguin29

PinkPenguin29 Active Member

Having lived close to Oakland during similar events I can relate to how you feel. These are scary things happening. If you just aren't comfortable where you are, is their someone that you'd be comfortable staying with the next few days?
    I'm sure you are safe where you are, but it can be very comforting to be with someone during stressful times.
    If you cant go somewhere, remember the phrase "this too shall pass",

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Aspychata

Aspychata Serenity waves, beachy vibes

Think this is a tough time right now. I feel you have valid concerns. We are just sorta exiting one situation and a potentially more dangerous situation reared up. Think you have to follow your gut. Feel if it's okay to go out, check news, go to smaller places that don't have crowds of people, don't flash your phone around.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Aspychata

Aspychata Serenity waves, beachy vibes

Okay- we have 997 new cases, 37 deaths. I am not sure which to be frighten of, this or the riots? Life is throwing circus knives at me and l feel like a moving target.

5. PinkPenguin29

Well now a riot is apparently taking place down the road from me. I'm in Reno, and apparently a curfew has been set.... literally two minutes ago our phones got an alert.

6. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

Yeah, I just got a notification on my cable system. Then an emergency action alert over the phone. I guess Hillary Schieve has her hands full right now. :(

Luckily I seldom go to the downtown area. This appears to be truly nationwide. Haven't seen anything this big since the Vietnam war protests.

Looks like they broke into Reno's city hall and tried to burn it. The city of Sparks has also just instituted a curfew of its own. Looks now to be a countywide order. The National Guard is on its way to Reno.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Fino

Fino Alex V.I.P Member

Same here! It hadn't occurred to me to be afraid. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  8. PinkPenguin29

It's
    You in Nevada as well?
    Luckily I'm safe, but I know a few people who are living downtown that are on my mind

• Like Like x 1
  9. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

Yep. Watching the news live on channel 4. Never seen anything like this downtown. Not in Reno or Sparks at least. The Bay Area is another story....

• Like Like x 1
  10. GadAbout

GadAbout Well-Known Member

Rioting all over the country. If you want my opinion, this explosion of anger has more to do with covid lockdown and loss of financial security, than righteous indignation over George Floyd (though certainly that's present). A large number of people in crowds at this thing were not wearing masks. It's kind of like the big crowds at pools and beaches over Memorial Day weekend. People have been cooped up too long, and have become disinhibited. Plus a lot of them have suffered poor mental health and maybe just feel they have nothing to lose.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

The combination of events seems pretty evident. A catalyst for a "perfect storm" of outrage and destruction. All made worse over a complete abandonment of social distancing. Nobody wins.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Yeshuasdaughter

Yeshuasdaughter Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

It is scary, yes. But I live in Portland, Oregon, where these things are common. It will pass. Once these idiots get their tantrum out and some of their friends get arrested, they'll go back to Mommy's basement and play Warcraft.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Crossbreed

Crossbreed Neur-D Missionary ☝️

Am I wrong in suspecting that the riots will serve to increase the epidemic?

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

I saw a whole lot of young people in the streets of Reno on the local news. Some wearing masks, some not. All in close proximity of one another. Recipe for disaster if just one person in the crowd turns out to be asymptomatic, much as one did in that congested Ozarks swimming pool.

For all the ugliness of rioting, this could get worse on a whole other level. We just started "phase two" in terms of policy regarding the virus. So many potential things to set us back. Hope that doesn't happen...but it may be inevitable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. AspieOtaku

AspieOtaku Leader of the otaku legion!

Same has been going on yesterday in downtown san jose, glad i wasnt in downtown i dont want to be teargassed just passing by or beat up.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mary Terry

Mary Terry Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Many of the "protesters" are coming from out of state. Someone needs to follow the money and find out who is financing these "protests". In my admittedly cynical point of view, the financiers could be either the extreme political left or the extreme right as both potentially profit from civil unrest.

Sure wish we had rational and measured leadership in Washington, DC. But we don't.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. QueenOfFrance87

QueenOfFrance87 Let them eat tuna! V.I.P Member

A little update: It's settled down now, but everything is pretty much trashed. There are people over there cleaning up right now. Honestly, whether it be caused by racism or COVID-19, it never should have happened. My mom and grandma taught me to respect all races, and I try my best to do so. In fact, two of my friends are black, and now I feel bad because they have to endure this trauma.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. oregano

oregano is plotting his escape

If there was a protest close enough to me that I could walk or bike there, I'd be there on the front lines. I know this isn't a popular view, and I don't believe that looting is the way to go, but as for protesting yeah I wish I could be there confronting the police. Part of me hopes that this could lead to the government collapsing and a true people's state being established. People are fed up with inequality and brutality, including whites. This is a rare time I actually hate being out in the boonies.

What I don't understand is why the cops are putting up a unified front. I wish they would rip off their badges and turn against the system. But I guess when you have people in a system that views civilians as enemy combatants and duty as war, you can't expect the cops to turncoat.

If there are indeed "outsiders" trying to overthrow the system involved, I wonder why this isn't much more organized. When riots first broke out in St. Paul, for example, most of the Minnesota legislature was inside the Capitol a few blocks away. If the Capitol had been stormed and the politicians killed or held hostage, that would have changed everything. That it didn't happen seems to me to indicate a lack of true organization.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mary Terry

Mary Terry Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Everyone should just stay home till the riots are over. Those crowds of screaming people are bound to be spreading coronavirus everywhere. Thank goodness, the vast majority of law enforcement officers are loyal to their country, perform their duties in accordance with established policies and procedures, and strive to uphold the law.

This, too, shall pass.

• Like Like x 3
  20. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

"FLINT TWP., MI
    — Hundreds of protesters shut down Miller Road Saturday
    in Flint Township, seeking justice for George Floyd."
    Flint-area police join protesters marching to seek justice for George Floyd

TLDR

"The peaceful march in Flint Township started at 6 p.m. with a small group of about eight people, but quickly grew to hundreds. The group blocked I-75 southbound on- and off-ramps along Miller Road.

Supporters in vehicles, in a line stretching nearly a quarter mile long, drove behind the walking protesters.

Signs reading 'Black lives matter,' 'White silence is violence' and 'Racism is still the biggest pandemic we face' were seen in the crowd. Chants were heard, including 'No justice, no peace, no racist police.'"

After more than two hours, the march was led to the Flint Township Police Department, where protesters were met with a line of Flint Township officers and Genesee County Sheriff’s deputies wearing riot gear and holding batons.

"Protesters initially sat down to show their peace, and after conversations sparked between police and protesters, common ground was found. High-fives, hugs and fist bumps were exchanged.

Genesee County Sheriff Chris Swanson took his helmet off and put his baton on the ground as a sign of peace."

"Swanson and other Flint-area police officers ultimately joined the march, which continued back past the Genesee Valley Mall onto Miller Road to the Target parking lot.

'This is the way it’s supposed to be — the police working with the community,' Swanson said. 'When we see injustice, we call it out on the police side and on the community side. All we had to do was talk to them, and now we’re walking with them. ... The cops in this community, we condemn what happened.' "

from article
    Flint-area police join protesters marching to seek justice for George Floyd

• Like Like x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.