• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensitive Topic Right To Die Questions

deathrow2016

Retro Obsessed
First of all, I am not looking for sympathy or a lecture on how I ought to "rise above" my disability. I have had it, and I have heard that, in certain areas that autism patients were able to receive a medically assisted death...this is definitely the route I want to go. I have been considering suicide for several months, but the only method that would almost guarantee death is a shotgun to the head. However, that's a bit too messy for whoever has to find me, and I would rather go out of the country on a "vacation" or "to study" and never come back. My corpse would be clean and it would all be done at the hands of a professional, far away enough to where nobody would know what happened to me. Push comes to shove, I bribe someone to tell them my plane crashed.

But my question is, how likely is it that in Belgium (this is where I've heard it's most likely to get the right to die from mental diseases and illnesses just as much as a terminal/physical illness) that I can get euthanasia due to Asperger's Syndrome? I have been medically diagnosed, for years now, and I have a host of other illnesses that render my life unbearable and severely limit my functions as a human being. Also, what might be the cost of something like this? I want to know now so I can begin saving up for the flight as well as the expense.

Again, no lectures or trying to talk me out of this, please. I won't read or reply to any responses of that nature. Thanks!

To what degree are you physically limited?
ie...Do you have the use of your hands/arms?
Can you swallow? Walk or use a wheelchair on your own?

What advantages would a professional death for yourself
have over a do-it-yourself demise?

To what degree are you physically limited?
ie...Do you have the use of your hands/arms?
Can you swallow? Walk or use a wheelchair on your own?

What advantages would a professional death for yourself
have over a do-it-yourself demise?

This is going to be more or less based on mental problems. I can do all the physical things a real human being can. Just not very well at all. But, clinically, I have...

-Severe High Functioning Autism
-Chronic Depression
-Anxiety
-Thyroid problems
-Cleft lip and palete
-Bone density issues
-Was on growth hormone for several years

My records are thick. But that's the jist of it all. The advantage is that nobody will know if I do this out of the country. Nobody really cares about me anyways, but at least it can be written off as a natural death. Or the fact that I just hate everyone from St.Louis and left for good to get away from it all could just assure they leave it all alone. Either way, it won't seem like a suicide. Plus, since it is professional, I can be assured that I die and don't just end up even more disadvantage on a stretcher headed to some psychiatric ward.

I don't understand...why are they assisting people with non-terminal conditions to die? Is your research correct?

I don't believe that a professional would assist a non-terminally ill person to die. I strongly advise you not to trust anyone who would. Who knows what they'd do to you? Their methods could be illegal/painful/expensive/undignified. You deserve better. You deserve proper help.

Depression and anxiety can be curable.

Remember, not only is it illegal for people to encourage others to commit suicide, but its immoral.

I don't understand...why are they assisting people with non-terminal conditions to die? Is your research correct?

I don't believe that a professional would assist a non-terminally ill person to die. I strongly advise you not to trust anyone who would. Who knows what they'd do to you? Their methods could be illegal/painful/expensive/undignified. You deserve better. You deserve proper help.

Remember, not only is it illegal for people to encourage others to commit suicide, but its immoral.

I don't know what sort of research OP has done.
Here are a couple things I found.
http://www.patientsrightscouncil.org/site/belgium/ links to multiple article
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/06/22/the-death-treatment a typically wordy New Yorker piece
http://theweek.com/articles/561172/how-belgium-went-down-slippery-slope-assisted-suicide very short

It is 2016 and because I'm a white heterosexual male, I'm already hated for no reason. They say acceptance has progressed, but only for the minority. I feel as much hate just from all of that as they might have several years ago. The autism does not help one bit. But back on topic, there is no "help" for someone like me. I am completely, for a lack of better word, ****ed. I am willing to do whatever it takes to leave this horrible planet without a "bang" (hahaha).

Ah, and one other thing, depression and anxiety can be treated, true. But not autism. And it's perhaps the most crippling barrier for me. And reason enough to end it all on its own.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/06/22/the-death-treatment a typically wordy New Yorker piece
http://theweek.com/articles/561172/how-belgium-went-down-slippery-slope-assisted-suicide very short

I haven't found too much on the topic. All I know is, in some articles (I remember reading that one at the bottom actually) that Belgium allows some cases for those with autism to get a medically assisted death. That's sort of why I'm asking here. Hoping someone might know more and help me prepare for this.

I was had suicidal feelings this morning...I don't make plans, I just often feel the need to escape by any means possible. I should stress that I can manage them, so I not suffering as much as you clearly are, but I want you to know that you're not alone...plenty of people here can share your pain and know what you're going through....

I really hope you don't go through with this...it's heartbreaking to think of someone dying far from home....

Has something specific happened for you to start making these plans? If you don't want to talk about it that's ok.

Thanks, Tree.
I've read the last article, but not the others because I'm feeling tired now.
It's very sad to read.

I was had suicidal feelings this morning...I don't make plans, I just often feel the need to escape by any means possible. I should stress that I can manage them, so I not suffering as much as you clearly are, but I want you to know that you're not alone...plenty of people here can share your pain and know what you're going through....

I really hope you don't go through with this...it's heartbreaking to think of someone dying far from home....

Has something specific happened for you to start making these plans? If you don't want to talk about it that's ok.

I was that way once too. I wasn't really planning. So all my attempts came off as half assed and, as a result, I was hospitalized. Which is far, far worse than death. Believe me on that one.

I am going through with this, even if it takes a bit (money doesn't grow on trees)

I don't talk about my problems like that. That's gay as hell. I appreciate it, but no thanks. But if you *really* must know, it's just a culmination of ****. Sexual abuse, autism, my other disorders, lots of ****. But as I said not going into detail. I know there is absolutely no help or support for me and that this is the best plan possible for me.

I was that way once too. I wasn't really planning. So all my attempts came off as half assed and, as a result, I was hospitalized. Which is far, far worse than death. Believe me on that one.

I am going through with this, even if it takes a bit (money doesn't grow on trees)

I don't talk about my problems like that. That's gay as hell. I appreciate it, but no thanks. But if you *really* must know, it's just a culmination of ****. Sexual abuse, autism, my other disorders, lots of ****. But as I said not going into detail. I know there is absolutely no help or support for me and that this is the best plan possible for me.

Yeah, failing at suicide can be a bummer.
Some places prosecute the individual for
attempted murder.

As far as you dying 'far from home' and 'alone'
I get the impression that you'd feel alone no matter
where you were, and that home has not been all
that comfortable/great, anyway.

Yeah, failing at suicide can be a bummer.
Some places prosecute the individual for
attempted murder.

As far as you dying 'far from home' and 'alone'
I get the impression that you'd feel alone no matter
where you were, and that home has not been all
that comfortable/great, anyway.

I live in St.Louis, Missouri. It is hell. My own home situation is **** as well, my mother's a toxic ***** that encourages me to commit suicide. So hey, I'm helping her out by doing this, right? LMAO!I don't know what any other feeling is. I'll feel just as hostile in Belgium before they do me in (if all goes as planned) as I do here in this dump.

If you would like a deep, compassionate listener, please feel warmly welcomed to private message me. I am here for you.

I've read what you're willing to divulge on here and it sounds as though you may be in a toxic environment at the moment, have you tried to find support through living independently or in an assisted living facility if needed?

You may find that changing your living arrangements helps a lot, I know I did. Additionally we may be online but I feel that there's quite a few people on here (myself included), who would be willing to offer a sounding board for you to ask questions or provide advice in as much as we are able.

I don't know what the social services are like in St Louis, but there is a whole world of support available for everyone.

New Threads

Top Bottom