• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Rice Bags

What do you wear to bed?

• The clothes I worked in all day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Sunday best, of course.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Real pajamas

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Special clothes just for sleeping

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Chainmaile apron and fur leggings

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Nothing at all

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Wouldn't you like to know?

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

Skittlebisquit

Just keep trying, victory brings glory
V.I.P Member
**Requires microwave oven**

Find some mismatched socks, from the one drawer full of orphaned and widowed socks. No holes. Or patches either unless they are really tight. Try and find sturdy ones. Do not use tights or hose.

Borrow some rice. About 20 ounces, a coffee mug full, times two.

Pour the rice into the sock. Tie a knot in the sock. Pour in another coffee mug of rice, into the sock. Tie another knot in it. If you want you can do it fancier, double layers, but I never did.

Put the rice sock in the microwave and nuke it for a while, really cant remember how long, dont worry. Try like 3 minutes. Then mash it up a bit and cook it again. See if it feels hot, if it's hot then you are done. Then put it in your sleeping blankets.

Other things

Wear fresh socks to bed, not the ones you wore all day. Always wash your feet before bed if you can.

Treat the shivers by finding a
9 x 12 glass pan from the kitchen and put it on the floor, on a towel, in front of a chair. Heat water to hot coffee temperature. Soak feet in warm water. Be careful not to scald yourself.

Shivers are stage one hypothermia.

frostbite looks white (caucasian skin) or grey(chocolate skin) and sort or wrinkly too. Frostbite can be serious.

Wear a hat. Short hair, wear a stocking cap, longhair get a tam. Do not put a plastic bag over your head.

Wrap the midsection from pubis to ribs (abdomen) with saran wrap, several layers, be careful plastic can catch on fire. Do not get it too tight.

Using sheets will keep you warmer. Church ladies are always a good choice for blanket donors

Heat water in coffee cup like for tea. Sip hot water slowly

Keep one hoodie super clean to sleep in.

Dont wear too many clothes too bed, it will.make you sweat, that will make you colder

Sleep with your friends. The best reason to get a pet too, pets keep you warm. Treat pets for fleas every month, regardless. Dont sleep with pets for 5 days after flea treatment

Be careful of heaters, they can start fires. Inspect the cord too. Touch the cord while it is running for a while, if the cord gets hot to the touch, ask for help.

Find towels you don't care about or those tripping in the dark rugs that evil people put in dark halways, and roll them up, then put that at the base of the doors.

Candles are too dangerous to use for heat, it takes too many and you will fall asleep. Candles are only for light. Every single one goes in a dish that cant break.

New thread soon in thirty ways to insulate your windows! Love you all!

Last edited:
You can use whole corn from the feed store, in place
of rice. I have both, rice bags and corn bags.

We both are cold sleepers, so we keep the bedroom cool (60 F in winter) and use flannel sheets and a comforter. Plus, I throw off a lot of heat so I enjoy it when she snuggles close. The pellet stove at its lowest temp helps keep the rest of the house (9" Insulated concrete-form walls, R 50 in the ceiling) pretty warm. With this house we put the money into an efficient shell and plant and did not get fancy with the interior, except for the bathroom with features to get us through the long northern-Michigan winters.

I am a mini furnace when I sleep. I sleep in a t shirt and, often, just a sheet and light blanket even in winter on our unheated boat. Winter can be a brisk 42f / 5c.

My bedroom is about 55°F in winter. It gets a lot colder if I leave the window open a little (for fresh air).

I have a down comforter & flannel sheets & a wool blanket & a 14lb. cat.

Maybe I could put rice bags on top of the gas stove, set the timer for 20 minutes?

1022874B-057C-480C-9043-823E6192C27F.jpeg

My bedroom is about 55°F in winter. It gets a lot colder if I leave the window open a little (for fresh air).

I have a down comforter & flannel sheets & a wool blanket & a 14lb. cat.

Maybe I could put rice bags on top of the gas stove, set the timer for 20 minutes?

View attachment 72393
A fourteen pounder, wowee! I'm going with no on the fabric on the top of the gas stove, I think the fabric would scorch.

But do not despair! There is an even older method that works pretty well, it's a bit more technical. First you have to find any vessel with a water tight lid, wine bottles work the best. Heat some water on the stove, put the bottle in the sink, fill it up past the label, and cork it. Then you wrap the bottle in a sheet and put it down at the bottom for your feet. It's kind of dangerous, for a few reasons

Hot water can burn you

The bottle could break(not likely)

The stupid thing could leak.

You could be too warm at night.

I guess canning jars might work even better, never tried

This is a very clever idea. I wonder if I could add lavender essential oil to it to make it smell like bedtime.

@tree i had a funny visual of the corn popping in the microwave

We both are cold sleepers, so we keep the bedroom cool (60 F in winter) and use flannel sheets and a comforter. Plus, I throw off a lot of heat so I enjoy it when she snuggles close. The pellet stove at its lowest temp helps keep the rest of the house (9" Insulated concrete-form walls, R 50 in the ceiling) pretty warm. With this house we put the money into an efficient shell and plant and did not get fancy with the interior, except for the bathroom with features to get us through the long northern-Michigan winters.
I either sleep naked (preferred) or fully clothed if I'm cool weather camping. In SoCal, it doesn't get that cold very often. I was "homeless" for a few years, spent a lot of time in a rotted-out van, or just camped somewhere. Did my share of couch surfing. Those were not bad years. I worked intermittently in private security and was financially poor but depression wasn't a problem. Hung out at a gaming shop where kids and grownups would play D&D and wargames on boards. I was free.

Wear a warm hat when it is cold. Even when you sleep. On a per square inch basis, your head radiates more heat than anywhere else. You have 40 watts burning up there 24/7 and it radiates like a small oven. Your body will sacrifice everything else in order to keep it warm.

In the summer when it is hot, wear a light-colored loose-fitting hat with a wide brim. Same reason, climate control. With producing so much heat naturally, you need to keep it in the shade to avoid overheating. Soaking a hat and a neckerchief in water is an outstanding way to cool off.

I remember those long dark Michigan winters. All the northern tier states have nasty winters. Ice would freeze on the lakes so thick you could drive across to Canada. With a warming climate, you'll be getting a lot more lake effect snow since it doesn't freeze as soon.

Last edited:
I wondered about the corn popping also, but, the hard whole kernal type does not.
They are wonderful for holding heat all night and good for aching muscles and fibromyalgia.
You can make them any size you want also if you sew and make them yourself.
They are also sold on Amazon stuffed in nice flannel cases that can be washed and the bags of
corn last for years.

Even though it doesn't get that cold in Florida, I still like a lot of cozy comforts in bed.
Microfibre sheets, a lightweight plush blanket and yesterday I broke out the comforter.
Only a few months I use it here.
I still use the corn bags on nights my feet feel cold as I do sleep nude.
Throw in some soft pillows and my plushie unicorn.
Hey, what difference does age make when it comes to comfort?
I don't think I could stand to sleep with someone else in bed.
Known it alone for too long.

Never thought of rice bags. Probably good as corn. I'll give it a try!

I either sleep naked (preferred) or fully clothed if I'm cool weather camping. In SoCal, it doesn't get that cold very often. I was "homeless" for a few years, spent a lot of time in a rotted-out van, or just camped somewhere. Did my share of couch surfing. Those were not bad years. I worked intermittently in private security and was financially poor but depression wasn't a problem. Hung out at a gaming shop where kids and grownups would play D&D and wargames on boards. I was free.

Wear a warm hat when it is cold. Even when you sleep. On a per square inch basis, your head radiates more heat than anywhere else. You have 40 watts burning up there 24/7 and it radiates like a small oven. Your body will sacrifice everything else in order to keep it warm.

In the summer when it is hot, wear a light-colored loose-fitting hat with a wide brim. Same reason, climate control. With producing so much heat naturally, you need to keep it in the shade to avoid overheating. Soaking a hat and a neckerchief in water is an outstanding way to cool off.

I remember those long dark Michigan winters. All the northern tier states have nasty winters. Ice would freeze on the lakes so thick you could drive across to Canada. With a warming climate, you'll be getting a lot more lake effect snow since it doesn't freeze as soon.
Canoeing rivers or motorcycling in the southwest, I have had to learn how to stay safe in the heat. Above 99 F, and even hydrating, bare skin will take on heat. Canoeing, I'd wear loose fitting long-sleeved shirts and scrubs. Motorcycling it was lighter ballistic nylon jacket and pants. I never suffered hyperthermia or dehydration.

Last time the Great Lakes froze was in 2013-2014 with over 95% ice coverage. Ice persisted in Lake Superior into June. This winter with a much warmer lake I will expect A lot of Lake Effect snow in NW Michigan. Now to tune up the skis.

I sleep with socks on, but generally sleep on top of the bed covers. I also have a weighted blanket, but haven’t used it since February, when I had shoulder replacement surgery.

New Threads

Top Bottom