• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Restarting Therapy

Raggamuffin

V.I.P Member
Sorry in advance, this is a long one and I've had to split it in 2 as it's over 10,000 words.

In August I’m looking to begin sessions again. These will be the 3rd lot of sessions with my current therapist. Out of the 4 I have seen over the years I feel like this one is my 2nd favourite. Ranking them feels a little obtuse, and yet I am glad I’ve found another therapist who makes me feel at ease. My first two therapists didn’t feel like a good fit for me at the time. I’m sure they have helped numerous people, but for me, it didn’t feel right. That’s not to say I learned nothing – I’m just a very particular person, and most people don’t appeal to me. When I consider a therapist, and the amount of personal information and emotions I will be sharing with them – I can’t be as open to someone I don’t feel a bond with. Unfortunately, my favourite therapist works too far from where I live to make it feasible to have regular sessions with him again. In terms of location, my current one is by far the best as she works from home and lives in the same town as me. Her house is in a nice area and is well presented. The room she works from is relaxing, with dim lighting, nicely scented and with a wall that is furnished with numerous bookcases and books, as well as very comfortable seating. I had intended to restart my sessions once things had calmed down with the lockdown. I hope by August there will be no restrictions preventing me from having a therapy session like I used to - in a room, sat less than 2 metres from my therapist.

I feel like I'm on an endless search to find ways to help myself feel better. Another never ending process seems to be my overthinking – which leads to increase in my anxiety and depression, which leads to more overthinking. I’m no stranger to vicious circles, and whilst some have been broken, others seem to only be temporarily stopped before they start again, either on previous form, or in some newfound way, shape or form. Whilst trying to find ways to unlearn ways of thinking and harmful habits I’ve undertook various new routines and regimes to try and reduce stress and improve my outlook. So many books read, notes taken, forums joined and posted on, medical essays read, Dr’s and therapists seen - all in a bid to try and challenge negative beliefs and thought processes. Whilst my story with anxiety and depression continues to grow, retelling the same tale to each new Dr or medical professional becomes increasingly tedious. As well as acquiring knowledge and lessons from books and online I’ve always spent time researching and undertaking lifestyle changes such as exercise, diet, regular sleep patterns and working smarter in the office in a bid to reduce stress. Everything listed above feels like a sensible and proactive approach to making improvements and yet it hasn’t been as fruitful as I had hoped. I seem to approach a lot these days with a degree of distrust and impatience. I know I can’t expect quick results, and yet I often fall foul of feeling disheartened. Or with my all or nothing approach, something new can quickly become an obsession and when I inevitably burn out, I look back on it as yet another failed exploit.

Over the years of research, I encountered so many stories of people who seemed to have eureka moments. Whether this was through sobriety, exercise, diet, proper hydration, yoga or meditation – they stated that the benefits and improvements they saw were profound and utterly changed their lives. In the early years my search was rather desperate, and I began these new regimes with a somewhat unrealistic expectation. I searched with a belief in a magic pill or a certain lifestyle change which would push aside my long-standing issues with depression and anxiety. As time wore on and each new, haphazard undertaking failed to live up to expectation or provide any relief, I gradually fell into a dangerous mindset – “This is me now.”

I became convinced that stress was integrated in my life and my mindset. In doing so I fear that has allowed it to underpin my life: convinced that I am little more than my diagnosis. It’s not to say I’ve given up – I continue to challenge what affects me negatively. The problem I find is that I instinctively think one way, and then have to go out of my way to contradict myself – it all ends up feeling like a waste of time that burns me out and gets me nowhere.

Years of medication proved to me there was no magic pill and the side effects were something that unnerved me. Over a decade of substance abuse revealed I had to approach life sober if I wanted to feel less guilt and fear for the future. Years of therapy showed me that whilst good advice can help brighten my outlook – there is a baseline of negativity that I seem to default to in life. Whilst people and experiences can lift my spirits; I feel almost like a tethered balloon – my mood can only go so high, and it’s constantly being weighed down and tethered to my negativity. For years now I’ve been approaching life with an instinctively negative outlook - towards my career, my friends, my family and even strangers. Whilst instinct feels like a split-second reaction – I rapidly build up this thought or feeling with a flood of overthinking thoughts, feelings and questions. Before long I become overwhelmed. Each new experience and person I met I portray my typical social mask: shy, polite and unassuming. I’ve tricked numerous people over the years into thinking I’m a laid-back person. In reality, what seems calm on the surface is deeply unstable underneath. Much like a volcano – which may appear calm, solid and unmoving on the outside – but inside there is a constant churning of magma and the potential to have a devastating and explosive outburst. The emotion of hatred is so intense that it is highly situational for most people. There is no reason to encounter someone doing something perfectly normal and instantly criticising and despising their very existence. It could be what a stranger does, says, or how they look. It feels abnormal to be and think the way I do. Feeling so angry all the time is unnerving. I suppose it’s a logical and progressive step after years of internalising my stress. It’s gone from being caught in my own bubble of fear and worry, to being projected outward – albeit silently.

At times these feelings seem to exhibit a pompous sense of self – as if I feel above the people who I constantly criticise in my head. In reality, I wonder just how confident I could ever be – with all this overthinking, a moment of pride can be shattered in an instant by my own thoughts and misgivings. My self esteem is volatile, much like my emotions: intense highs and lows with no middle ground to be had. Regardless of when I feel worthless or pompous – I never feel normal. Recently at work I’ve been using headphones, in a bid to block out the background noise of people and conversations which would cause instantaneous and overwhelming negative emotions. I thought that it would reduce my stress and encourage productivity. In terms of my work – I got all caught up with everything in under 2 weeks; something I hadn’t achieved in 11 months of working at the company. My mood, however, has started to deteriorate. I suppose it’s because I’m now stuck in my head and there’s a lack of conversation to distract me from myself. Sitting in silence – seething. Looking at people around me talking, chatting, distracting, laughing etc. Wanting to be a part of it and yet wanting to be apart from it. It feels like there is no pleasing me – what I enjoy can be instantaneously torn down. I see people guilty of what I do, and I chastise them for what I’m fully aware of is a defect I share. If someone complains all the time, I hate them – and yet I know full well I complain all the time, I just don’t say it out loud. So, what do I dislike in them? Their negativity? Their opinions? Or their confidence to verbalise what they feel inside? I feel like if I was verbal and forthcoming with my feelings, I would have even fewer friends than I currently do, and I wouldn’t be able to hold down your typical office job for very long at all.

The problem with bottling up so much is that my patience is on a knife edge. To those who I’m most comfortable around – I can snap over a seemingly minor inconvenience. However, even when I break, it’s not a meltdown – it’s reserved and tethered. A short, sudden exclamation before I push it down once again – apologising for what I just said because of the uneasy atmosphere is has left and the deep and burning shame I now feel. Guilt and shame are also big players in my day to day life: I just can’t seem to catch a break from myself. I know the problems lie at the core, with my beliefs which are what I project and reflect on in day to day life. If you have a house with a weak foundation causing cracks in the wall – plastering over the cracks isn’t the solution; you have to sort out the root cause, otherwise the cracks will continue to get worse over time.

From the books I’ve read and the people I’ve spoken to – I keep encountering methods and ideas to challenge my negative mood and beliefs. Whilst I may instinctively approach life with a negative outlook, I can direct my mind and creativity to counter negatives with positives. However, I wonder where I’m supposed to be left and what I’m meant to feel after all this? Much like a debate between 2 people with opposing beliefs, their thoughts and opinions seem to become more entrenched in their ideals. I guess when I deliberately undermine my beliefs with opposing one’s I end up feeling stuck in the middle.

So, what do I do? I escape as best as I can. Avoidance – it’s not a cure, it’s plastering over the cracks. Headphones at work, lunch time walks through the woods and meditating by the lake. Getting away from the stressors to give myself a moments peace. At home it’s the computer and video games – distract myself in a bid to shut down my constant overthinking. Emotionally, I feel so full up. For years now it feels like I’m on the brink of having a breakdown and needing to cry my eyes out, but I never do. I continue to bottle it up, keep trying to roll with the punches.

I know all this negative thinking is a waste of time and it’s emotionally and mentally draining. There seems to be only one constant enjoyment I find always uplifts my spirits – being outside. Nature and animals never fail to make me happy. Still, much like my negative emotions; my happiness is volatile and overbearing too. Then again – it’s not as if I can cut off from society and live amongst nature. I had long considered a job that would involve minimal contact with people and being outdoors. A lot of these seem to involve destruction of nature – rather than encouraging it to grow. Such as gardeners or tree surgeons – which I know would play havoc with my feelings of guilt and shame if I was to destroy animal habitats to make way for man made and aesthetically pleasing gardens.

Pain is a big player in my day to day life – alongside the overthinking, the hate and the guilt. Every day I'm aching and it hasn't stopped for 10 years. Sometimes I sink into a feeling of justification for my anger – because of how I feel. Yet, I know these are pains born of stress. Back to the analogy of the house with the weak foundations – these pains I feel are the cracks in the walls. The pains are forever changing and evolving in location and intensity. Feeling rested is a spitefully fleeting sensation. I sleep too much, or too little and its luck of the draw if I wake up feeling OK or in intense pain. So many tests, Dr appointments, hospital visits, chiropractors, massages, exercises, yoga - you name it, I've tried it.

So, back to my original thought – it’s time for therapy again. I feel stuck in a rut once again. I look back and see progress: in terms of reducing anxiety and panic attacks. Even reducing daily pains to a certain extent. Then there’s sobriety; something I wrestled with for years. I was convinced that would be my eureka moment: unfortunately, this was not the case. Having spoken to numerous long-term recovering addicts, it seems like it’s a necessity that may never provide the sense of relief I’d hoped for; it’s just better than feeling the constant haze, fear and guilt of being an addict.

For now, whilst I wait, I have a few more self-help books I’ve bought. Read through, make notes and meditate upon what they say. Their words are always so concise and uplifting. Often feels like good advice gets lost in translation or doesn’t hold up to the barrage of overthinking and scathing criticism it must endure when it comes toe to toe with my mind.

Ed

Last edited:
You are very a very sensitive soul and I share that idea of guilt over doing what most people take for granted like gardening. Life is so much harder for sensitive souls and we don't know who is and who is not. Yesterday I offended someone by asking a question. The more I tried to apologize the worse I made it :-(

I just heard an episode of Fresh Air in which the woman talked of people going round and round in therapy only to have it stop cold with certain psychedelics. MDMA and cannabis and others which promote brain plasticity. No side effects. One session. Over and over cured of things like PTSD and so forth. Why is this not mainstream. I want to try it. I am tired of going in circles with a BRAIN that needs help, not a mind or soul.

You're right about sensitivity - I really am. I overreact to everything and the slightest thing can create an abnormal emotional response. My partner believes I'll never truly be able to change who I am as a person. In terms of overthinking or my seemingly negative default reactions to people and certain situations.

I experimented with numerous drugs over the years. The problem is my self control was lacking and I started chasing what made me feel good, or kept my distracted. In the end, my overindulgence lead to new issues around mental health, as well as increasing feelings of guilt and dysfunction.

I will say this, a common theme with my experiences with MDMA, mushrooms and acid was that life finally made sense. I knew it the drug was warping my reality, and yet, it felt like I was experiencing a purer form of reality and reasoning whilst under the influence than when I was sober.

Weed was my longest addiction - mainly because it enhanced my sense of pleasure for my stims and my interests. It also opened up a whole new realm with my introspection and imagination. Of course - its perfectly doable without weed, its just that it felt easier and more natural with it as an accompaniment.

Unfortunately that feeling gradually dissolves as sobriety brings you back to reality. The coherence and the relief felt whilst under the influence becomes fragmented and incoherent when you sober up.

A similar clarity was felt one time after meditating. For about 3 hours I felt intense euphoria and serenity. It was unlike any drug I've ever tried. I have never felt that experience since in any of my meditation sessions. It was puzzling, and yet eye opening.

Ed

Last edited:
You're right about sensitivity - I really am. I overreact to everything and the slightest thing can create an abnormal emotional response. My partner believes I'll never truly be able to change who I am as a person. In terms of overthinking or my seemingly negative default reactions to people and certain situations.

I experimented with numerous drugs over the years. The problem is my self control was lacking and I started chasing what made me feel good, or kept my distracted. In the end, my overindulgence lead to new issues around mental health, as well as increasing feelings of guilt and dysfunction.

I will say this, a common theme with my experiences with MDMA, mushrooms and acid was that life finally made sense. I knew it the drug was warping my reality, and yet, it felt like I was experiencing a purer form of reality and reasoning whilst under the influence than when I was sober.

Weed was my longest addiction - mainly because it enhanced my sense of pleasure for my stims and my interests. It also opened up a whole new realm with my introspection and imagination. Of course - its perfectly doable without weed, its just that it felt easier and more natural with it as an accompaniment.

Unfortunately that feeling gradually dissolves as sobriety brings you back to reality. The coherence and the relief felt whilst under the influence becomes fragmented and incoherent when you sober up.

A similar clarity was felt one time after meditating. For about 3 hours I felt intense euphoria and serenity. It was unlike any drug I've ever tried. I have never felt that experience since in any of my meditation sessions. It was puzzling, and yet eye opening.

Ed

That is interesting. I love medical mary and use it to sleep and calm down when emotionally distressed. I see it like food. Life sure makes more sense when my belly is full and not empty! So I like MM and feel why should I not use it if it make life better.

I don't use it to get high. I still have yet to feel stoned, well, did once and hated it. It was terrible. So it's tiny amounts of tincture. But I would never not want to have it any more than I would not want to have vitamins. To me it is not a drug. It's medication or food or water. If life is hell because of some lack and I find a solution, great.

As to facing life straight on, I did that for decades. I have so many bad memories and trauma. If I had done this first, my past would seem better , I would have better memories, less trauma. I messed up by living clean when a little MM would have softened the harsh reality of living with a disability.

You are very a very sensitive soul and I share that idea of guilt over doing what most people take for granted like gardening. Life is so much harder for sensitive souls and we don't know who is and who is not. Yesterday I offended someone by asking a question. The more I tried to apologize the worse I made it :-(

I just heard an episode of Fresh Air in which the woman talked of people going round and round in therapy only to have it stop cold with certain psychedelics. MDMA and cannabis and others which promote brain plasticity. No side effects. One session. Over and over cured of things like PTSD and so forth. Why is this not mainstream. I want to try it. I am tired of going in circles with a BRAIN that needs help, not a mind or soul.

There’s also ayahuasca. People say it’s the equivalent of a decade of therapy.

Oh yeah! I saw that. It was part of the MAPS study, too :)

The host of a radio show I listen to went on an ayahuasca journey a few months ago and described his experience in detail on the show. It’s one of the most amazing stories I’ve ever heard.

Ive read a fair few DMT experiences - it does sound quite profound. I was never able to get my hands on any back in the day.

The way everyone bigged up acid - I was expecting more than I experienced. Not to say it wasn't worthwhile, but it felt more like a stronger and longer lasting mushroom trip, as opposed to how other users described their experiences and hallucinations.

I think DMT is the pinnacle of hallucinogenic drugs in terms of intensity and where it takes you. Nowadays though, I'm don't think I'd want to dabble with drugs again. I'm even weary of taking painkillers more than once a month.

Ed

I used to be the same way until last year. Researchers have studied it and found out why people are sensitive and have those emotional responses and found a way to help people overcome it. I applied that research to myself and I am no longer sensitive anymore. I wrote a blog post that explains what researchers have found and how to become less sensitive and not experience unwanted emotions.

How to be less sensitive - Sensitive to criticism? Here's how to overcome it
How to reduce abnormal emotional responses - Alexithymia (trouble identifying and describing emotions)

New Threads

Top Bottom