• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Responding to tasks in a timely manner. The struggles are real!

SimplyWandering

I have an issue where ill look at a text, message or task , maybe from work that i have to respond to and it may take hours to translate my thought or response? Then i get criticized for not responding right away but doing other tasks instead.

An example being today i had to respond to a work email that i had kept avoiding and the information was needed by the end of the work day today. I had finished the work already but for some reason i could not put it in to a response that seemed ok and as a result it created a lot of anxiety.

Anyone else have a similar situation? What was it?

I have typing anxiety in my relationship. I also do when writing to someone important like a teacher or a boss, but if i have to do it daily, it eventually decreases. I do take ages to correct my stuff then, and nothing I come up with seems right.

I think their criticizing might have affected it and boosted it, as you don't feel understood and supported, alien sort of stepping into a land as a foreigner with them judging you at face value which is not accurate to how you are. But it's important how effective at explaining yourself you view yourself to be in texting. Maybe knowing you're on the spectrum makes you double take on what you are trying to express and worry more.

I think the message doesn't matter as much as sending fast, which I can tell you're aware of, but this anxiety seems subconscious. I think you might be able to do faster to just squeeze your eyes shut and send, or is it possible to not write anything else and just send it?

I usually write like a title so they know what it is. Accuracy isn't that important as long as words match what you wrote. Or you could ask what they expect to hear when you're sending your work in.

Maybe this will help you be more confident about what you write:
How to Email Teachers (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Last edited:
Not enuf info, a lot of bureaucratic responses are predictable and can be done quickly after the research. Whilst the research and data can vary, the responses are standard, just look to previous written responses for format. ie it's ok to copy the written style of whoever did your job prior.

Last edited:
I step away from the screen, grab a blank sheet of paper and note down one word prompts in some sort of sequence, sticking to facts as I go.

The above will be the bare bones of my reply.
I can flesh out with technical terms, buzz words and social niceties when I sit in front of a screen again to type a response.

I know I can get flustered and anxious when a timely reply is expected.
A simple structure to follow can help me organise my thoughts and stay on track.

New Threads

Top Bottom