• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Researching topics

Rainbowmum

Hello,
I wonder if anyone can help with this. I am mum to a wonderful clever autistic child who is currently 7. Currently home schooling, I am trying to explain to him the concept of researching a topic, where answer to the questions are not immediately available, and maybe we need to go online to find that answer. He is still very young, can anyone offer any thought of a good approach? For this? Thank you.

How about just telling him that?

That when you want to know about something,
you need to make up good questions,
and start from there.

I would take his favorite subject and research things about it. So if he liked airplanes- research airplane, research how much fuel it is needed to fly small plane. Look at schematics of planes, if you print out a few simple diagrams or pictures- you have taught him references using his favorite subject. Then you say this info works as research and you could write a short report using like 3 papers you printed out. My daughter had her own computer for homeschool, and was busy researching subjects on her own - she is on the spectrum. She now is going to college, l believe by homeschooling her, she has a good attitude about learning. Maybe he likes huge trucks, you could look at things about a particular type of truck, dumptrucks, etc.
Animals are a another great subject. Zoos have a lot of live cams to watch babies or new animals, etc.

The N. D. Tyson reboot of Cosmos illustrates how some of the greatest scientific minds in history came up with the questions that led to our current understanding.
I would recommend, since you home school, to encorporate at least the first few episodes, pausing and commenting on the problem solving/question creating process.

Hope this helps.

May you be well.

sidd

The N. D. Tyson reboot of Cosmos illustrates how some of the greatest scientific minds in history came up with the questions that led to our current understanding.
I would recommend, since you home school, to encorporate at least the first few episodes, pausing and commenting on the problem solving/question creating process.

Hope this helps.

May you be well.

sidd
Thanks I didn't about Cosmos I'll investigate

I would take his favorite subject and research things about it. So if he liked airplanes- research airplane, research how much fuel it is needed to fly small plane. Look at schematics of planes, if you print out a few simple diagrams or pictures- you have taught him references using his favorite subject. Then you say this info works as research and you could write a short report using like 3 papers you printed out. My daughter had her own computer for homeschool, and was busy researching subjects on her own - she is on the spectrum. She now is going to college, l believe by homeschooling her, she has a good attitude about learning. Maybe he likes huge trucks, you could look at things about a particular type of truck, dumptrucks, etc.
Animals are a another great subject. Zoos have a lot of live cams to watch babies or new animals, etc.
Thanks great advice

Start with a question he has asked, and tell him, "I don't know. Let's look it up." - then sit with him and look for the answer online or in a book.

This models the behavior for him. He gets to see you looking up something you don't know and learns how to do it himself.

Start with a question he has asked, and tell him, "I don't know. Let's look it up." - then sit with him and look for the answer online or in a book.

This models the behavior for him. He gets to see you looking up something you don't know and learns how to do it himself.

That was what I was trying to say, but it must have been too early
in the day for me. What you said is more coherent.

Yeah.
The Homeschool Mom's Credo:
"I don't know. Let's look it up."

New Threads

Top Bottom