• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Researching the experiences of girls and women on the spectrum

Hi,

I am conducting research into the experiences of women and girls on the Autism Spectrum.

This research project aims to explore the experiences of women and girls on the Autistic Spectrum and how they develop a sense of who they are in relation to their diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). This project aims to develop more specific knowledge about the lives of women and girls on the Autistic Spectrum. This is because research has tended to focus on the experiences of men and boys with diagnoses of ASD and, as a result, more needs to be done to help understand the experiences of women and girls with ASD. The information will be analysed to see whether there are similarities and differences in the experiences of women and girls on the Autism Spectrum.

The research involves using online interviews. It is best to think of these as more of a conversation about yourself and how you understand your diagnosis and what life is like for you as a woman. The interviews can take place on a messaging application of your choice. They shall last between an hour and an hour and a half.

This research is an opportuntiy for you to discuss what you deem important and provides a space for you to make your experiences known. This research aims to help increase awareness and deepen our knowledge of what life is like on the Autism Spectrum.

I am on the spectrum myself, and feel it is crucial for these efforts to be led by autistic people themselves, within the community. It is part of my degree program.

The research will focus on women and girls who have recieved a formal diagnosis of ASD as it, in part, aims to look at experiences of receiving a diagnosis formally. I do understand that the voices of those who are self-diagnosed are also hugely important.

If you are interested - please send me a private message on here so we can progress further.

Note:

I am a first time researcher and I am very receptive to comments and feedback being made. It means a lot to me to make this experience based on parity and reciprocity. So a bit more about me, what i plan to do with the information etc:

I am 21 years of age. I received a diagnosis of ASD at 15 and have had mixed experiences in institutional and medical spaces. I study sociology at Durham University and my experiences of being both a woman and having ASD have informed my desire to help develop more knowledge about what life is like for women and girls on the autism spectrum. This is because growing up I often felt I could not readily identify with the literature and information provided.

I am really keen for the 'participants' to be more like collaborators- I have taken part in research myself and it has felt cold, austere and like stories have been taken, rather than thoughtfully been explored.

Ultimately, I hope this research can develop more nuanced understandings of how gender and autism interact and how woman and girls develop a sense of self. This is crucial to helping to contribute to more accurate and varied discussion in society but also in helping develop services and policies catered to specific sections of society.

As stated, more information will be provided if you feel like this is an opportuntiy you are interested in.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,

I am conducting research into the experiences of women and girls on the Autism Spectrum.

This research project aims to explore the experiences of women and girls on the Autistic Spectrum and how they develop a sense of who they are in relation to their diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). This project aims to develop more specific knowledge about the lives of women and girls on the Autistic Spectrum. This is because research has tended to focus on the experiences of men and boys with diagnoses of ASD and, as a result, more needs to be done to help understand the experiences of women and girls with ASD. The information will be analysed to see whether there are similarities and differences in the experiences of women and girls on the Autism Spectrum.

The research involves using online interviews. It is best to think of these as more of a conversation about yourself and how you understand your diagnosis and what life is like for you as a woman. The interviews can take place on a messaging application of your choice. They shall last between an hour and an hour and a half.

This research is an opportuntiy for you to discuss what you deem important and provides a space for you to make your experiences known. This research aims to help increase awareness and deepen our knowledge of what life is like on the Autism Spectrum.

I am on the spectrum myself, and feel it is crucial for these efforts to be led by autistic people themselves, within the community. It is part of my degree program.

The research will focus on women and girls who have recieved a formal diagnosis of ASD as it, in part, aims to look at experiences of receiving a diagnosis formally. I do understand that the voices of those who are self-diagnosed are also hugely important.

If you are interested - please send me a private message on here so we can progress further.

Note:

I am a first time researcher and I am very receptive to comments and feedback being made. It means a lot to me to make this experience based on parity and reciprocity. So a bit more about me, what i plan to do with the information etc:

I am 21 years of age. I received a diagnosis of ASD at 15 and have had mixed experiences in institutional and medical spaces. I study sociology at Durham University and my experiences of being both a woman and having ASD have informed my desire to help develop more knowledge about what life is like for women and girls on the autism spectrum. This is because growing up I often felt I could not readily identify with the literature and information provided.

I am really keen for the 'participants' to be more like collaborators- I have taken part in research myself and it has felt cold, austere and like stories have been taken, rather than thoughtfully been explored.

Ultimately, I hope this research can develop more nuanced understandings of how gender and autism interact and how woman and girls develop a sense of self. This is crucial to helping to contribute to more accurate and varied discussion in society but also in helping develop services and policies catered to specific sections of society.

As stated, more information will be provided if you feel like this is an opportuntiy you are interested in.

I
Thanks!
Before our members share their information with you, is there any chance you can offer this forum some credentials?

Before our members share their information with you, is there any chance you can offer this forum some credentials?

Of course, more than happy to share any credentials or further information. Can you let me know what kind of info I should provide and what kind of things you'd like to know.

Of course, more than happy to share any credentials or further information. Can you let me know what kind of info I should provide and what kind of things you'd like to know.
Is it a study that is a part of your university studies for your own use, or is it for gaining info for the university?

How will you protect the identities of the participants?

Will it require collecting personal information from those who choose to participate?

Thank you. Ok here is the relevant info:

Regarding participation
Participation is entirely voluntary and your own choice. You have the right to refuse to participate. If you do decide to participate, you have the right to refuse any question, to withdraw at any time without any consequence whatsoever. If you agree to participate, you will be asked to sign a consent form which will restate that you are free to withdraw from the study at any time and that you do not have to provide any reasons for doing so.
Regarding confidentiality and anonymity
All the information that will be collected during the course of the research will be kept strictly confidential. Once the interviews have been conducted, the information will be deleted on the application used. The information will be then stored on a secure computer and will be password protected. You will not be able to be identified in the final report. It is important for you to feel like this is your opportunity to tell your own story and you will be given the opportunity to choose your own pseudonym or anonymised name which will be used in the final report.

How will the information be used?

The information will be analysed so I can see whether there are similarities and differences in the experiences of women and girls on the Autism Spectrum. The research will be written up as a dissertation. Again, you can request a summary of the research findings and a copy of the final report by contacting me via the details given below. Once submitted, the dissertation will be available online and in print.

How will the data be used in future research?

The research may be used by other researchers and authorities for future research. It is hoped that this research will help deepen our understanding of life on the spectrum for women and girls and that it will help other researchers improve their quality of life and develop effective support services for women and girls with ASD.

Please contact me if you have any questions whatsoever so I can answer them as swiftly as possible.

Not a girl, so can't participate, but just stopped by to say it is good to see people on the spectrum involved in the research. They have been left out too much. We have voices, intellect and insight and the tendency of NTs to leave us out has undoubtedly slowed their progress considerably. So good luck!

New Threads

Top Bottom