• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Research with College Students

Do other people need help understanding what it is like to be a college student on the spectrum?

• Total voters

Douglas Thompson

V.I.P Member
I really need some students who what to help me learn something.

I'm doing a research project and trying to find some college students who might like to tell others what it is like to be in school (college) and have Asperger's or HFAD. Can anyone tell me where I should start?

I set up a poll, and anyone who wants to participate could look at the research flyer.

Attachments

• Recruitment Flyer.pdf
    139.5 KB · Views: 0
I really need some students who what to help me learn something.

I'm doing a research project and trying to find some college students who might like to tell others what it is like to be in school (college) and have Asperger's or HFAD. Can anyone tell me where I should start?

I set up a poll, and anyone who wants to participate could look at the research flyer.
This may be a tough sell here where you are asking our members to contact you directly thru their own email.

You are welcome to ask here, but I feel you need to try a different approach.
Thanks. I've been trying to get 12-15 participants for almost a year with no luck. I worked with post-secondary schools and tried to network on my own. I'm trying something new because I'm passionate about helping other people understand the experiences of post-secondary students.

Thanks again for the insight; there are a lot of people who know more than I do.

Thanks. I've been trying to get 12-15 participants for almost a year with no luck. I worked with post-secondary schools and tried to network on my own. I'm trying something new because I'm passionate about helping other people understand the experiences of post-secondary students.

Thanks again for the insight; there are a lot of people who know more than I do.
Have you considered setting up an off-site poll where they can still maintain their privacy while filling your request?

You could also do it here for that matter in this same thread.

Have you considered setting up an off-site poll where they can still maintain their privacy while filling your request?
I have, but the type of research I am conducting involves 3 forms of responses (university rules). I also had to explain to the school how I would protect privacy while gathering written descriptions and answers to specific question.

Most researchers (and you are only about the 100th this year) set up a survey people can access and fill out. Privacy is very important and you should allow anonymity as an option.

I'm not in college so can't participate. But thats probably for the best since I require payment in donuts, lots of donuts, to fill those things out.

doughnuts.png

I have, but the type of research I am conducting involves 3 forms of responses (university rules). I also had to explain to the school how I would protect privacy while gathering written descriptions and answers to specific question.
Like I already said, there is no harm in asking, but don't expect to get an overwhelming response to it ;)

Most researchers (and you are only about the 100th this year) set up a survey people can access and fill out. Privacy is very important and you should allow anonymity as an option.

I'm not in college so can't participate. But thats probably for the best since I require payment in donuts, lots of donuts, to fill those things out.

View attachment 47938

Dang Tom, now I want a donut and I'd have to get dressed (yuk) and drive 15 minutes just to find one.

How many questions are on the form? You might get more responses to ask the questions on here. I'm thinking there are many, like myself, that will not open an attachment.

You could also do it here for that matter in this same thread.
I've already received some backlash today even though I was following the advice of my dis
How many questions are on the form? You might get more responses to ask the questions on here. I'm thinking there are many, like myself, that will not open an attachment.

There are really three different parts to the research. One is a free-writing prompt. One has 12 specific questions. One is up to the people to share what they choose beyond just writing.

The issue with asking questions on a forum or through a survey is that my school really values privacy...like a lot. So the people who give me responses have to be given a consent form so that is clearly understood that I cannot misuse data or share personal details about anyone. I had to go into detail to show them how I would protect identities and securely store any information so that it could not be misused.

I understand why a lot of people don't want to participate. It is more involved easy to answer questions. However, I want to share the anonymous insights from those who have attended post-secondary education so that administrators can do a better job in the future (there is such a large dropout rate). Basically, university officials don't know what to do most of the time because they don't understand what is going on and how they can help.

Anyway, thank you for the words of insight. They are really helping me move forward so that I can find a safe way to gather information anonymously so that my findings can be published and be useful in the future. You mentioned not opening an attachment. That makes sense. Here's a screenshot.

upload_2018-10-9_15-12-15.png

My ultimate goal is to help because I have had too many really smart students drop-out.

Can you work through the “conversations” on the page?

I can't because my university requires that I have participants view and sign a consent form that provides details about how I protect their confidentiality. They are really strict about protecting privacy; I had to give very detailed information about protecting data and personal information. That's why there is a consent form and an email address just for the study. I have to document everything in a way that is safer and more "scholarly" than a discussion forum.

In fact, I may be able to publish the project in a scholarly journal so that university people all over the world could make better decision. I'm not smart enough to figure out the answers on my own; that's why I would like to review the answers from other people. They know about what they have experienced than I could every hope to imagine.

I have made arrangements for a way to collect answers using this website instead of exchanging too much personal information.

If you would like to participate or more information about participating, you could "Start a Conversation" on this website so that our exchange is focused instead of mixed up with the responses from everyone else.

I'm updating to see if anyone would like to help with the research I am conducting.

I am looking to gather the experiences of students who enrolled in college who have attended college.

My research includes gathering a free-form type response and written answers to interview-style questions.

Can anyone help me?

The puzzle pieces. Don't like them.
Don't care for Auti$m $peaks either which is widely regarded as a hate org among autistics.

However, how about search engine the term "transitional college programs autistic students" and call them and ask. You may be able to get people that way.

Just a thought.

Doesn't your university allow you to create a survey on their servers/site? that's how my (former) university did a lot of their stuff. Then all people would need is the link to that site, and people would know it was reputable etc. I would think there would be options for more than just a Likert scale response.

Consent forms and everything were available on the specifically designated sites.

Just realized how old this is. Oops!. Also just realized it drew my attention as it is 'featured'.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom