• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

RESEARCH: Recruiting fathers diagnosed with ASD

lucy12

Hi all,

My name is Lucy and I am a clinical psychology doctoral student and am currently carrying out a piece of research for my thesis.

I am interested in finding out more about the experience of people who are fathers and have the diagnosis of Autism. Please see below my research advert.

If anyone is interested and meets the eligibility criteria stated on the research poster please do get in contact with me at [email protected]

As the research involves an interview, I will compensate you with a £25 Amazon voucher for your time.

Feel free to ask me any questions :)

Thank you very much,

Best wishes

Lucy

Research poster.png

@lucy12

Props for being the first researcher I can remember who actually pays an (almost) reasonable rate for their interviewees time!
I'm almost sad I don't fit your selection criteria (no formal diagnosis, kids too old).

BTW - you're still missing the sales pitch on why this will benefit Aspies.

Some things to reflect on:
* AFAIK there's no standard definition that doesn't include "D for Disorder"
* ASD 1 is defined very poorly: it's a subjective definition based on hard to identify, hard to measure behavioral symptoms. So we can't assume a meaningful context, nor relevance to us as individuals or a category, for any document or project.
* We're supposedly 0.5% of the population (about the same as the "T" in LGBTIA+, who are getting a huge amount of press), but nobody much cares about us, and even fewer make any effort to understand or learn how to communicate with us. Try looking at the NT-initiated threads here to see what I mean by that (though if you're NT yourself you probably won't understand /lol).
* Masking is very hard work. It costs us a lot to be active in society, even when maintaining a low profile

Of course the comparison with "T's" isn't 1-1, but our lives are powerfully affected by our nature, in ways that are almost impossible for us to manage until adulthood (25+) at best.

So in general we have trust issues. Not too serious: ND's accept that we're not understood, but also not hated. By and large it means that while we have trust issues, it's not to such a degree that it affects our mental health. But why should we help with an NT-centric activity?

So back to the mysteriously absent sales pitch - what is your project likely to do to help us?.

I've had a feeling some (but by no means all) of your predecessors have being working on something potentially useful, but most of the sales pitches, to the extent they were present, have had the "me, me, me" tone of a narcissist. This is most likely just an unfortunate side-effect of youth, but either way, you have a chance to do better :)

BTW - You're a Brit - perhaps you remember how David Cameron completely failed to communicate the benefits of EU membership to the wider voting public. The pitch was more about how good it would be for the fat cats of the City, and for large companies.
Think about it :)

@lucy12

Props for being the first researcher I can remember who actually pays an (almost) reasonable rate for their interviewees time!
I'm almost sad I don't fit your selection criteria (no formal diagnosis, kids too old).

BTW - you're still missing the sales pitch on why this will benefit Aspies.

Some things to reflect on:
* AFAIK there's no standard definition that doesn't include "D for Disorder"
* ASD 1 is defined very poorly: it's a subjective definition based on hard to identify, hard to measure behavioral symptoms. So we can't assume a meaningful context, nor relevance to us as individuals or a category, for any document or project.
* We're supposedly 0.5% of the population (about the same as the "T" in LGBTIA+, who are getting a huge amount of press), but nobody much cares about us, and even fewer make any effort to understand or learn how to communicate with us. Try looking at the NT-initiated threads here to see what I mean by that (though if you're NT yourself you probably won't understand /lol).
* Masking is very hard work. It costs us a lot to be active in society, even when maintaining a low profile

Of course the comparison with "T's" isn't 1-1, but our lives are powerfully affected by our nature, in ways that are almost impossible for us to manage until adulthood (25+) at best.

So in general we have trust issues. Not too serious: ND's accept that we're not understood, but also not hated. By and large it means that while we have trust issues, it's not to such a degree that it affects our mental health. But why should we help with an NT-centric activity?

So back to the mysteriously absent sales pitch - what is your project likely to do to help us?.

I've had a feeling some (but by no means all) of your predecessors have being working on something potentially useful, but most of the sales pitches, to the extent they were present, have had the "me, me, me" tone of a narcissist. This is most likely just an unfortunate side-effect of youth, but either way, you have a chance to do better :)

BTW - You're a Brit - perhaps you remember how David Cameron completely failed to communicate the benefits of EU membership to the wider voting public. The pitch was more about how good it would be for the fat cats of the City, and for large companies.
Think about it :)
Hi, thank you very much for your feedback, it is really helpful to hear how i can improve my advert so thank you :) Sorry i should have made that clear, that research tends to have to refer to the diagnosis as Autism Spectrum Disorder i will be recruiting participants, who were given the diagnosis ASD, ASC, Autism, Aspergers etc :)

You make a good point thankyou- I am wanted to do this research as i felt there was a large gap in the literature with regards to men with the diagnosis and I wanted to help bridge this gap. I am interested in finding out about fathers experiences of parenting, to see if there is any further support that can be provided/ would be useful to look into. I feel passionate about this area as no research to date has looked at this, and i feel it is such an important area.

I hope that makes sense, but please do contact me if you have further questions and I do really appreciate your comments as i want to make sure the research is accessible and useful as it can be.

Hi all,

My name is Lucy and I am a clinical psychology doctoral student and am currently carrying out a piece of research for my thesis.

I am interested in finding out more about the experience of people who are fathers and have the diagnosis of Autism. Please see below my research advert.

If anyone is interested and meets the eligibility criteria stated on the research poster please do get in contact with me at [email protected]

As the research involves an interview, I will compensate you with a £25 Amazon voucher for your time.

Feel free to ask me any questions :)

Thank you very much,

Best wishes

Lucy

View attachment 85382
Sorry, not a father yet, but I’m hoping to be one really soon! :)
An Autistic father, of many Autistic children. :)

@lucy12

Something else for you to think about:

This is an AITA video, with the usual pointless voiceover. I just read the text - much faster.
If you don't see the relevance, ask me here and I'll explain

PS: A comment for everyone here. Just read the first story (or none OFC).
There are two more that I've forgotten. No cursing, but AITA has stories about narcissists, "extreme Karens", very greedy "takers" etc. I can't be certain the other two stories don't have participants that are horrible people.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom