• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Research for treatment of ASD - Suramin Drug Trial

Hmm: Suramin - Wikipedia

So, autism vs nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, skin tingling, weakness, sore palms of the hands and soles of the feet, trouble seeing, fever, abdominal pain, low blood pressure, decreased level of consciousness, kidney problems, and low blood cell levels.

I don't think I want to go first.

They would not approve the drug unless it were shown to be safe and effective. Also, the dosage would have to be evaluated to minimize the undesirable side effects.

I found this information to be encouraging, that someone is doing research of this nature.

I don't need "treatments" for being what I am, thank you very much. Especially when they have side effects that are much worse. If you want to cure something, cure the pain and lack of mobility in my right shoulder that's been really making me miserable. Cure my PMDD. But I don't need a cure for Asperger's.

In doing further reading on this topic, I discovered there is a type of ASD called Hyperuricosuric Autism which is associated with elevated uric acid production.

Epiphany: The Hyperuricosuric Subtype of Autism, Uridine and Antipurinergic Therapy

As the article mentions, approximately 20% of the people with ASD have this subtype of autism. And as luck would have it I take medication daily for elevated uric acid which in itself would have health consequences if left untreated. It is believed that people like me would benefit from the research I cited, so I am encouraged by this research. As for the rest of you in the other 80%, this research might not even apply to you.

Because I do have elevated uric acid and ASD, I have requested that my doctors order tests to prove that I have Hyperuricosuric Autism so that I can be properly treated. Sorry to have bored everyone else with this research information.

Last edited:
There's nothing worng with me, I'm not sick, just different, and I don't need a cure for that. A cure for anxiety, depression and certain sensory issues would be welcome, though!

New Threads

Top Bottom