• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Remembering old Adverts..

spaceman

I hear radio waves. .. in my head
Hi all,

Something I realised recently is I still remember most old 80s and 90s ads. Slogans and jingles in detail. I really liked ads. When I was kid I used to talk about my fave ads regularly.. (same friends, same ads all the time I guess?) .. repeating myself.. ?!

Anyway my gf came home with Smith's crisps the other day and I was like Ahhh can you remember the ad?? And just reeled the song off and the stuff going on.. went to check YouTube and I was smack on. :) to the dot.

So we checked a few more out, and as they were in I was singing EVERY, word and doing the sound effects, right into it I was. My go was laughing, she said that's not normal- (in an acceptable way)

Is anyone else like this? I mean.. some of my most favourite music and songs of all time, I don't know Michigan's the words. I'm into the melody and feel, etc. I recognise every syllable, and sound like I Know the words when I sing.. but I don't. I haven't got a clue what most songs are about. But I'm right into them.

But these ads... they stuck solid. I could go back to YouTube select any one of hundreds of ads. And I'm like a jukebox. Know every bit.

Hope to hear similar stories here to be honest.
J

When I was younger, I was able to recite adverts I liked in great detail so I can definitely understand what you're saying.
I don't do it nowadays as I find most adverts now to be boring or just annoying. Whether they were funny or scary, adverts back then were more memorable than most of the stuff we get on TV here in the UK now.

I can memorise adverts easily and always get the songs stuck in my head.
A personal favourite of mine was the old Hefty garbage bag ad that said "stinky stinky stinky" in a funny high-pitched voice.

Hi all,

Something I realised recently is I still remember most old 80s and 90s ads. Slogans and jingles in detail. I really liked ads. When I was kid I used to talk about my fave ads regularly.. (same friends, same ads all the time I guess?) .. repeating myself.. ?!

Anyway my gf came home with Smith's crisps the other day and I was like Ahhh can you remember the ad?? And just reeled the song off and the stuff going on.. went to check YouTube and I was smack on. :) to the dot.

So we checked a few more out, and as they were in I was singing EVERY, word and doing the sound effects, right into it I was. My go was laughing, she said that's not normal- (in an acceptable way)

Is anyone else like this? I mean.. some of my most favourite music and songs of all time, I don't know Michigan's the words. I'm into the melody and feel, etc. I recognise every syllable, and sound like I Know the words when I sing.. but I don't. I haven't got a clue what most songs are about. But I'm right into them.

But these ads... they stuck solid. I could go back to YouTube select any one of hundreds of ads. And I'm like a jukebox. Know every bit.

Hope to hear similar stories here to be honest.
J

I did not do exactly the same thing as you. I used to remember just about everything that went on around me in great detail. This included books I read once I started reading.

One time I saw a letter envelope that came in the mail before I learned to read. I was able to give my mother the address on the envelope after I learned to read years later.

I started suppressing this in High School when teachers accused me of cheating on tests because of exact quotes on tests from school books. It was also because I found out then that other people could not do this at the same time.

I also had favorite ads. I used to go make a sandwich during the shows and come back and watch my favorite ads. Some of those were Seven Up ads and Alka Seltzer. I also liked Phillip Morris ads. I usually like the funny ones the best.

I'm terrible for this. I still know all the words to these (my particular favourites). The Milky Way one has been on since 1989, just in case you think I have that good a memory :p

When I was younger, I was able to recite adverts I liked in great detail so I can definitely understand what you're saying.
I don't do it nowadays as I find most adverts now to be boring or just annoying. Whether they were funny or scary, adverts back then were more memorable than most of the stuff we get on TV here in the UK now.
Oh yes. I agree. UK ads today are terrible. But those oldies were brill. I remember these jingles that a lady saw over 30 years ago.. haha.

I can memorise adverts easily and always get the songs stuck in my head.
A personal favourite of mine was the old Hefty garbage bag ad that said "stinky stinky stinky" in a funny high-pitched voice.

I'll have to check that one. Not sure. But in UK in the 80s, weetabix, smash, shake n vac, bran flakes, do it all, etc

I'm terrible for this. I still know all the words to these (my particular favourites). The Milky Way one has been on since 1989, just in case you think I have that good a memory :p

Well as it happens, this

As it happens this was the ad I checked after the Smith's crisps. "Smart old blue he took the milky way"

That as has been back on again recently bit they tweaked the words and some fine detail. I was straight on it I Shouted out "NOOOO THEYVE CHANGED THE WORDS.... THEY CANT DO THAT!!!" Didn't know I was aspie then. Makes sense now come to think of it.

This one always stuck with me... Not only a favorite song but my favorite truck brand

That as has been back on again recently bit they tweaked the words and some fine detail. I was straight on it I Shouted out "NOOOO THEYVE CHANGED THE WORDS.... THEY CANT DO THAT!!!" Didn't know I was aspie then. Makes sense now come to think of it.

My husband knows what it feels like to live with someone who stubbornly refuses to accept changes like this. Every time the newer version was on TV, I would sing along and then shout the original words over the tweaked bits :D

My husband knows what it feels like to live with someone who stubbornly refuses to accept changes like this. Every time the newer version was on TV, I would sing along and then shout the original words over the tweaked bits :D

Ha Ha I'm so stubborn too. That's something I would do. I hate changes they are pointless, it feels personal. It's obviously not. But it feels it.

I haven't clicked this yet. But I know the jingle. Trumpets?
(De, derrr derr.. follow the bear)

UK beer ads used to the best. There was this one calling as once, they only showed it a few times, and I used to wait and wait and scan the ads for it.

It was an extended one, that looked like three different ads, went on and on... it used to take up most of the as breaks time slot on its own, back in the day. Thanks everyone who's posted ads.

Much Appreciated

I still think of the Colt 45 Malt Liquor commercials. Loved the guy who could not be fazed by much of anything as long as his drink was served. Truth is, I wanted to be such a person! :cool:

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom