• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Religion post - being cautious defending beliefs

Pats

V.I.P Member
I have an ex daughter in law. We get along good. But I know I have to be cautious in some areas. She knows I believe in God and believe who Jesus is and I know she doesn't and that's okay. As a Christian we are to follow Jesus as an example and He never used force or violence to push religion onto anyone. God gives everyone a choice, who am I to not? So I don't push it on anyone. But I do defend my beliefs and I defend the Bible and I defend Christianity.

I do post scripture here and there on facebook, and my oldest son will say he appreciates that because sometimes that's the only times he may get to read anything scriptural that day because he's always working. So I continue to post for him and for anyone else that might be in the same situation. Not everyone likes it and I'm aware of that, but some people do and appreciate it. My other three kids don't follow me so they don't have to see these posts and I'm fine with that. If there's something I want them to see, I'll tag them in it. :) Like pictures of their kids while they were here, or something funny that made me think of them. I respect their disinterest and they respect my interest.

So my ex daughter in law posted something very negative about Christianity, that would make all Christians look bad. I very carefully worded my response and we responded back and forth a few times - both keeping it kind and no one being offended. Well, I still was offended. But my question is when there is someone you want to remain close to, but they criticize something very important to you habitually, what do you do? Yes, I do want to remain close to her - she's the mother of my grandson. I want all my grandchildren to be raised in peaceful, loving families. Most things, I just ignore - but sometimes I feel the need to let her (and everyone she is sharing with) know that most Christians are not what is being depicted there.

Actually, to be totally honest, I'm trying to be cautious, even as I write this. It's not that I want to hide my Christianity, but there's always fear of retribution any more.

I’m an atheist. However, I don’t feel the need to bash other people’s beliefs. I see religious posts on my Facebook now and then, but I refrain from interacting with them because I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes.

I have Christian, Muslim and Jewish friends and I like to ask them about their beliefs and traditions occasionally, because I am interested in things they deem important and that can be such a big part of their life. I think being able to discuss beliefs in an open minded way is a learning experience for everyone and a way to create more understanding.

I personally don’t believe in god, but I don’t need other people to believe what I believe. Belief is personal. Sharing belief can be great, but forcing it is just bad practice for all involved.

Anyway, people that offend other people’s religion are people I generally try to avoid. If they’re people I want to remain close to I just make sure to avoid those topics at all cost.

I’m an atheist. However, I don’t feel the need to bash other people’s beliefs. I see religious posts on my Facebook now and then, but I refrain from interacting with them because I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes.

I have Christian, Muslim and Jewish friends and I like to ask them about their beliefs and traditions occasionally, because I am interested in things they deem important and that can be such a big part of their life. I think being able to discuss beliefs in an open minded way is a learning experience for everyone and a way to create more understanding.

I personally don’t believe in god, but I don’t need other people to believe what I believe. Belief is personal. Sharing belief can be great, but forcing it is just bad practice for all involved.

Anyway, people that offend other people’s religion are people I generally try to avoid. If they’re people I want to remain close to I just make sure to avoid those topics at all cost.
I appreciate your respect and attitude. I've always had the attitude - 'to each his own'. It's in everything, including how to raise your kids. :) I'm like - I'll keep my mouth closed and expect you to do the same with the parenting thing. lol (I've had to tell that to someone before).

Pats, The classic lesson "turn the other cheek" was drilled into me by nuns when I was very young. I understood what it meant. I don't recommend it as a life-long philosophy, but I think it might apply to your predicament here. There is much worse going on in the world.

when there is someone you want to remain close to, but they criticize something very important to you habitually, what do you do?

That's a tough question that's difficult to deal with, without distancing yourself from the person who said or wrote it or getting angry or upset. What I've done in the past is explain why and how I feel about something that's important to me. Speaking my truth without any rancor or blame. And simply voicing it, for others to understand.

Also I think when you write about something that important to you, it focuses you, and clarifies it in your own mind.

New Threads

Top Bottom