• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Relief from depression and the fatigue it causes... Any suggestions?

Chance

"all who wander are not lost" - Tolkien
V.I.P Member
Every year as Fall approaches I seem to have this same weird thing that happens. Autumn is actually my favorite time of year, but every year I seem to get pretty depressed and just worn down as the summer slowly fades away. I don't even like Summer, its so freaking hot here. So it makes no sense to me that I would get depressed when my favorite season is coming a little early it seems.

Inside I am so happy that Summer is basically over, but physically I am just worn out I guess. My job here is grueling. Its very long hours (12-16 hour days) in the Summer and a lot of it is out in the sun... So I get pretty wiped out by the time Golf season is officially over... That season ended this past Monday. Oh yes I am happy, but just dead... with no energy and now getting that dreaded feeling I know all too well.

I just want to do nothing and now isn't the time to do nothing. Its the best weather of the whole year, and I am exhausted and just down in the dumps and I don't even know why and that has me pretty upset with myself.

Does anyone battle anything like this... Or is it just my little private circle of weirdness? If anyone does... How do you snap past it and get back into the groove and find some energy.

Its like when the season starts changing... Like it is right now, (even though the weather is amazing), I just feel drained. I also have really bad Fall allergies and they are beating me up bad right now.

I think I set a record of chain sneezes at work today... People were laughing, and sort of worried for me too I think. I was at the point of really needing to breathe. I think it was 14 non-stop with a few that stuck and delayed coming out... It sucked. All together I have probably sneezed 30+ times today and I really just need it to stop.

This is one reason I try and transfer out of here, but its all starting early this year and I'm not sure there is going to be an opening for me this winter in San Diego. The position I usually fill for the winter isn't vacant right now... So I'm kind of bummed over that, but it could still change.

I just need some pointers how people jump past getting depressed and all down... Once it gets me down I have a real battle and I don't want to go there... So I know its already working on me, and I am trying to crush it before it gets a grip on my messed up melon. I have meds but I try very hard to just not take them. I will only if it gets ugly, and then I get to deal with all the nasty side effects and that is about as bad as just being all messed up and depressed.

Thanks for listening to my whine session, but any ideas or herbal stuff that really works I am willing to try. If someone has some suggestions to get me back to that mental state we know as happiness, with the energy to enjoy it I would appreciate it.

St. John's Wort tea has helped me.

I didn't like the effect of capsules that I bought.
The tea that I make is from wild St. John's Wort plants
that grow around here.

Also, I have to walk.
The physical movement helps.

Maybe you're just experiencing a bit of a dip now the 16 hour days have come to an end? (Working fast paced every day for up to 16 hours over a period of months)
And now you find you're not as busy and the mind/body changes down a gear or two? Adjusts to demand? Slower pace?

What do you like to do Chance? (Other than work?) What do you enjoy?

I'd also say some form of exercise/ movement that increases heart rate slightly. Eating regularly (keep the blood sugars stable)
I try to eat more tryptophan rich foods, -red meats, chicken, turkey, fish, cheese eggs, nuts (tryptophan assists in building serotonin)
And a bit of mindfulness. If I can't keep the mindfulness up for any great period of time. I find at least one thing I'm thankful/grateful for each day, or something that made me smile or laugh (jokes, memes, comedians on you tube)
Something that will give me a bit of a break from repetitive negative thoughts.

Every year as Fall approaches I seem to have this same weird thing that happens. Autumn is actually my favorite time of year, but every year I seem to get pretty depressed and just worn down as the summer slowly fades away. I don't even like Summer, its so freaking hot here. So it makes no sense to me that I would get depressed when my favorite season is coming a little early it seems.

Inside I am so happy that Summer is basically over, but physically I am just worn out I guess. My job here is grueling. Its very long hours (12-16 hour days) in the Summer and a lot of it is out in the sun... So I get pretty wiped out by the time Golf season is officially over... That season ended this past Monday. Oh yes I am happy, but just dead... with no energy and now getting that dreaded feeling I know all too well.

I just want to do nothing and now isn't the time to do nothing. Its the best weather of the whole year, and I am exhausted and just down in the dumps and I don't even know why and that has me pretty upset with myself.

Does anyone battle anything like this... Or is it just my little private circle of weirdness? If anyone does... How do you snap past it and get back into the groove and find some energy.

Its like when the season starts changing... Like it is right now, (even though the weather is amazing), I just feel drained. I also have really bad Fall allergies and they are beating me up bad right now.

I think I set a record of chain sneezes at work today... People were laughing, and sort of worried for me too I think. I was at the point of really needing to breathe. I think it was 14 non-stop with a few that stuck and delayed coming out... It sucked. All together I have probably sneezed 30+ times today and I really just need it to stop.

This is one reason I try and transfer out of here, but its all starting early this year and I'm not sure there is going to be an opening for me this winter in San Diego. The position I usually fill for the winter isn't vacant right now... So I'm kind of bummed over that, but it could still change.

I just need some pointers how people jump past getting depressed and all down... Once it gets me down I have a real battle and I don't want to go there... So I know its already working on me, and I am trying to crush it before it gets a grip on my messed up melon. I have meds but I try very hard to just not take them. I will only if it gets ugly, and then I get to deal with all the nasty side effects and that is about as bad as just being all messed up and depressed.

Thanks for listening to my whine session, but any ideas or herbal stuff that really works I am willing to try. If someone has some suggestions to get me back to that mental state we know as happiness, with the energy to enjoy it I would appreciate it.

CBD oil

Vit c highest strength best you can afford,quercetin in supplement form it boosts the immune system ,it's in apples ,green bell peppers.
Vit b6 and b3,rehydration fluid -pure orange juice has potassium salt in it .
Sleep sleep sleep!!!!!!! in a cool room
Daylight for depression - walk
Get your lung function checked !before you need steroids to ward off a chest infection .
If you already have a peak flow meter test your breathing

Sleep, soup, and allergy meds?
I have fall allergies and will try to ignore them until I can't take it anymore. This year I finally went with a 24 hour non-drowsy pill. Monday I was a depressed crying blob. Next day anxious but happy. Today, happy. May not work for you, sounds like exhaustion is a big part of it, but that's what seemed to help me. Why do I wait every year until I am a miserable sneezing mess...? Don't know, but I do. Pills scare me a bit. Though these days I have three prescriptions so what's one more?

Hey Chance,

Have you ever heard of Seasonal Affective Disorder? It sounds like what you may be experiencing since it's every year around the same time. I get that way too but usually not until the winter and I also like winter though Fall is my favorite season. I'll post this article for you to check out. From what I've read, light therapy seems to be the most helpful. I've never used it myself though.

NIMH » Seasonal Affective Disorder
Hope this helps some. :D

Sleep, soup, and allergy meds?
I have fall allergies and will try to ignore them until I can't take it anymore. This year I finally went with a 24 hour non-drowsy pill. Monday I was a depressed crying blob. Next day anxious but happy. Today, happy. May not work for you, sounds like exhaustion is a big part of it, but that's what seemed to help me. Why do I wait every year until I am a miserable sneezing mess...? Don't know, but I do. Pills scare me a bit. Though these days I have three prescriptions so what's one more?

I'm not sure but I was sneezing so bad that I did the unthinkable and took a Benadryl which makes me a zombie... It stopped the sneezing but kind of triggered that "Oh no" feeling... I have no way to put it in words. Its just like this dreaded thing that can decide to stay or leave at this point pretty easy. I usually can shake it pretty fast, so its not some horrible issue like it used to be, but it still sucks.

I dont like anything to do with getting all down and depressed its not something I deal well with and I know its ebb and flow and it will go away, just like it will come back it seems... Its like a curse. If I believed in them I guess it would be, but I truly figure its more of a chemical imbalance more than anything else.

That is why I asked for tricks and stuff to undo what I have some how triggered...

By the way thank you to all of you... I learned some stuff and I will try it. I do know one thing that I have learned and that is not to dwell on it. So, I do stuff like this to ignore it. It will give up if I don't feed it, and I plan on serving it to death in fast fashion... : )

forgot vaseline around your nose it prevents you inhaling every particle
strange you say starts ib autumn i suffered with a cold after hay fever season every year in autumn

Maybe you're just experiencing a bit of a dip now the 16 hour days have come to an end? (Working fast paced every day for up to 16 hours over a period of months)
And now you find you're not as busy and the mind/body changes down a gear or two? Adjusts to demand? Slower pace?

What do you like to do Chance? (Other than work?) What do you enjoy?

I'd also say some form of exercise/ movement that increases heart rate slightly. Eating regularly (keep the blood sugars stable)
I try to eat more tryptophan rich foods, -red meats, chicken, turkey, fish, cheese eggs, nuts (tryptophan assists in building serotonin)
And a bit of mindfulness. If I can't keep the mindfulness up for any great period of time. I find at least one thing I'm thankful/grateful for each day, or something that made me smile or laugh (jokes, memes, comedians on you tube)
Something that will give me a bit of a break from repetitive negative thoughts.

You should learn to never ask what I like to do : ) because its insane!
You know how they say we get obsessed and all chatty and lights up with one certain thing...
I have mine and have had it all my life... Cars, really fast ones.

This ASD freak loves drag racing, not sitting in the stands, but sitting behind the wheel of this beast that is about to shoot me 140-160 mph down a narrow strip of oh so smooth road with concrete barriers on both sides... We also have auto cross also but I get disoriented if they put too many tight turns in the race layout, so I suck pretty bad at that most the time. I have to spend too long trying to get myself back from the nauseous hell it sends me into. I think its an inner ear thing. Its like sea sick without the rough seas.

But I do like more normal things like reading, writing, playing golf, or baseball, and working out when I can get the energy and motivation going to do so. Thanks for the good information. : )

That depression that starts the same time of year, when it starts getting dark earlier, sure sounds like Seasonal Affective Disorder to me also.
When those who have it doesn't get the same amount of light as they do through the summer, hormone levels drop in the brain. I would check out Light Therapy. That is often prescribed. There are special lamps you can use at home for gettig the right amounts of the full light spectrum.

I am doing a lot of research on natural supplements and nutritional additives to reduce inflammation for RA and found the chemical infusions which I can't take are mostly to reduce inflammatory cytokines, there are natural things that can be taken together for this effect. Slower, but, do the same.
That would be a good place to start IMO too.
Research natural remedies for S.A.D. the type of depression it sounds like you may be getting.
@Chance
I am on the west coast of Florida in regards to Irma.
Good sturdy house in a no flood zone. We're going to ride it out here.
Will keep you and everyone informed.
If you don't see me here starting this weekend,
it will be because of loss of power.
Otherwise I'll be here if all else is OK to keep you
updated.

This ASD freak loves drag racing, not sitting in the stands, but sitting behind the wheel of this beast that is about to shoot me 140-160 mph

Is that where you dress up?

I'm wondering if sports like drag racing hook you into a massive high then obvious low to follow.
Sort of taking crack cocaine instead of a cup of tea and a biscuit.

I'm more into living at a level and avoiding extremes. I wonder if its because i think I'd get addicted to it?
A part of me says 'sign me up' for all of those things.

But I wonder if your leisure patterns create the pattern or add to an existing pattern of moods?

Two pennorth. :)

Is that where you dress up?

Im wondering if sports like drag racing hook you into a massive high then obvious low to follow.
Sort of taking crack cocaine instead of a cup of tea and a biscuit.

Im more into living at a level and avoiding extremes. I wonder if its because i think I'd get addicted to it?
A part of me says 'sign me up' for all of those things.

But i wonder if your leaisure patterns create the pattern or add to an existing pattern of moods?

Two pennorth. :)

Wow... dude I would make for one ugly woman : )

You might be on to something... but thats about the only time in life that I can escape the ASD...
I get in and I can instantly focus. I am more alert and I feel more alive than ever before. I do think its because my life is dependent on it, and its because its something I love. If I could some how bring that mindset back out of that car and into my everyday life... I would be living a totally different life.

It's really hard to understand probably from the outside and I get that, but once I get in there its like I become part of that car. I feel every little thing. I hear every little thing (even with ear plugs and a helmet). I don't even care about winning most the time. I just love the feeling of all the other stuff fading away for just a little while and then yes I have to come back to reality... but its usually with a great big smile, win or lose, blown engine or trophy in hand - it makes no difference.

I don't run a powerful enough car that it tries to get out of control and scares me. My current car is only around 588 horse power, which is kids play up beside some of the guys in the upper classes putting out 1000-1800+ hp in a Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, or Challenger. I probably won't ever do that. Too much goes wrong too fast, and thats where the most bad accidents take place. They are all serious and are out there putting huge money on the line and I sense its a business for them. They lost the freedom part and now its nothing but a competitive nightmare. I stay away from that.

Maybe it is my drug or my escape, but its also my temporary freedom. I think it does release adrenaline and other endorphins and chemicals. There has to be some biological change taking place and their has to be a change going back to my normal messed up self. So yes, I do think you might be right, but I don't think it hurts me in anyway... If anything it lets me know that at least for a little while I can feel free.

Thanks for the input, but no I won't be dawning a wig and skirt. I couldn't imagine the tactile night mare with hairy legs and panty hose... That thought just creeped me out a little... : )

That depression that starts the same time of year, when it starts getting dark earlier, sure sounds like Seasonal Affective Disorder to me also.
When those who have it doesn't get the same amount of light as they do through the summer, hormone levels drop in the brain. I would check out Light Therapy. That is often prescribed. There are special lamps you can use at home for gettig the right amounts of the full light spectrum.

I am doing a lot of research on natural supplements and nutritional additives to reduce inflammation for RA and found the chemical infusions which I can't take are mostly to reduce inflammatory cytokines, there are natural things that can be taken together for this effect. Slower, but, do the same.
That would be a good place to start IMO too.
Research natural remedies for S.A.D. the type of depression it sounds like you may be getting.
@Chance
I am on the west coast of Florida in regards to Irma.
Good sturdy house in a no flood zone. We're going to ride it out here.
Will keep you and everyone informed.
If you don't see me here starting this weekend,
it will be because of loss of power.
Otherwise I'll be here if all else is OK to keep you
updated.

Please stay safe.. and if the power goes (which it prolly will) After it comes back please pop back on and say your ok... We ran a load of relief supplies down south this weekend and it's just heartbreaking. Harvey wiped out everything I connected with Port Arkansas. Places I remember as a kid are just gone. Even the water tower collapsed. So, I am an emotional mess with you wanting to stay. If you say you will be okay I trust that : ) just please let us know your okay... I will be waiting to hear from you : )

Please stay safe.. and if the power goes (which it prolly will) After it comes back please pop back on and say your ok... We ran a load of relief supplies down south this weekend and it's just heartbreaking. Harvey wiped out everything I connected with Port Arkansas. Places I remember as a kid are just gone. Even the water tower collapsed. So, I am an emotional mess with you wanting to stay. If you say you will be okay I trust that : ) just please let us know your okay... I will be waiting to hear from you : )
Does it look flatter than hurricane Katrina?

I'm not sure but I was sneezing so bad that I did the unthinkable and took a Benadryl which makes me a zombie... It stopped the sneezing but kind of triggered that "Oh no" feeling... I have no way to put it in words. Its just like this dreaded thing that can decide to stay or leave at this point pretty easy. I usually can shake it pretty fast, so its not some horrible issue like it used to be, but it still sucks.

I dont like anything to do with getting all down and depressed its not something I deal well with and I know its ebb and flow and it will go away, just like it will come back it seems... Its like a curse. If I believed in them I guess it would be, but I truly figure its more of a chemical imbalance more than anything else.

That is why I asked for tricks and stuff to undo what I have some how triggered...

By the way thank you to all of you... I learned some stuff and I will try it. I do know one thing that I have learned and that is not to dwell on it. So, I do stuff like this to ignore it. It will give up if I don't feed it, and I plan on serving it to death in fast fashion... : )

I think you have two different problems that I also have. Those are allergies and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

The allergies can make the SAD worse.

I use two herbs for the allergies. The first one is to reduce or stop the allergies. That herb is stinging nettle. You can find it in health food stores in the form of boxes full of nice tea bags. Some people can even be allergic to that herb, so the first dose I use myself is to dip the corner of the teabag of stinging nettle into a cup of hot water and immediately take it out of the water. That is to test whether I am allergic or sensitive to it. I do this every time I have not drank it for a while. I wait about a day, then if I do not react to it, I will drink it like a regular tea. It is supposed to be better if you do not put anything else in it, but I like a drop or so of raw honey with it, preferably local honey. Local honey will have the allergens in your area in it, that. Has been processed by the bees, which can also relieve allergies.

The next herb I use is yarrow. It works on respiratory problems. It usually works very fast. You might be able to find it in a health food store, but that is a "weed", so i. Can be hard to find in stores, but easy to find growing all over the place. I think it is in most or all of the USA and a lot of the world. I test this the same way I do the stinging nettle, or any other herb that is new to me or that I have not used in a while. I am getting a link to show you what it looks like.

Common Yarrow: Pictures, Flowers, Leaves and Identification | Achillea millefolium

You should not gather it from anywhere it will get pollution or road dust on it. That stuff is bad to get in you. Yarrow cures other stuff besides respiratory problems. The site in the link will be a good start to learn about that if you are interested.

For SAD, I use light. You can pay a lot of money for a fancy light box or use at least one daylight bulb where it will shine into your eyes daily. I like to keep that daylight bulb away from my eyes at least an hour before bedtime, since it can cut into my sleep otherwise.

My SAD is not very bad, so the daylight bulb may not be strong enough for you. If it does not make a difference within a week or so, you might need to pay for the light box. A daylight LED bulb from Costco is enough for me, though.

Costco does carry work lights with LEDs that are really bright, probably stronger than those fancy light boxes. It is only about $30.00, so that is what I would try next if the regular LEDs didn't do it for me. I have one I use when I need a lot of light to work by anyway. You might even already have one of those.

I hope this is of some use for your problem.

Alaska, thank you so much... All of you are awesome...

I'm very blessed to have people like you all around me... I'm already kicking this thing in the ass...

I know a secret. If I can get my mind out, I can get my body out... Sometimes I just need some help to get me pointed back in the right direction and yes it will come back to fight me again, but I will run it off again and again and again. I don't know how I lived so long not knowing there are still wonderful people out there. I have very little trust in humanity, but you all have given me a hope I would have said was impossible.
So know that in your search for answers you are help for others... : )

Some ideas:

For now, eat cooked, hot foods, and drink hot liquids.
Two perspectives on why this helps when we feel a little draggy and blah:

In Traditional Chinese Medicine, depression often has much to do with blockages or stagnations in the liver channel, and autumn is liver's opposite, it's favorite is spring. So, we may feel a slight slump in both mood and zest as fall begins. Hot foods and liquids are what the liver system in the body craves for chi to flow well enough that you'll have your energy return to you for your own use.

In Western medicine, eating cooked foods means you won't get as many active enzymes as in a more raw diet, but when you're feeling run down cooked foods helps get your energy back. Your body has to do less "work" breaking down and absorbing nutrients in cooked foods, so 1.) your energy can be used for other things, and 2.) more of the energy from your meals are accessible to you.

I hope you feel better soon.

New Threads

Top Bottom