• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Relationship Advice

#JasonRed2020

Hello,
Does anyone have advice for starting a relationship with people? I am terrible at making friends especially female friends. I am currently in college and really want to make some lifelong connections and maybe date someone.

The biggest thing holding me back is that I am very introverted and find it tiring to try and talk to new people. Another thing is that I have major crushes on fictional characters, which is holding me back from any attraction to real human girls. Advice on dealing with that would be very appreciated.

Thank you all those who took the time to read my post.

Being honest is a good start. I know it sounds like crappy advice, but it works.

Hello,
Does anyone have advice for starting a relationship with people? I am terrible at making friends especially female friends. I am currently in college and really want to make some lifelong connections and maybe date someone.

The biggest thing holding me back is that I am very introverted and find it tiring to try and talk to new people. Another thing is that I have major crushes on fictional characters, which is holding me back from any attraction to real human girls. Advice on dealing with that would be very appreciated.

Thank you all those who took the time to read my post.

I would suggest introducing yourself and trying to talk about something "she" might be interested in first, before asking someone out on a date. Also focus more on what she says than what your interests are. If you have common interests make a mental note of these things. Ask about things she likes to do. Then after she knows who you are and you know something about her, ask if she would be interested in going out sometime? Suggest something fun and low pressure for both you and her. If you know what her interests are and things she likes to do, maybe suggest something she would like to do. Also as mentioned earlier be genuine, not fake. Don't be afraid to let her make suggestions and take the lead. Contrary to what you may have heard, the guy does not always have to be in control or initiate. However, you have to make a conscious effort to go out on a regular basis where you are seen, even if you would rather not. Girls want to feel safe with their date and unpressured. Learn to listen and not talk to much about yourself or your special interests. You will probably do this anyway, but try to focus on her and not your interests.

Also, observe clothing, appearances, and behaviors of other guys who seem to be popular. Then critically evaluate your own appearances, and make incremental changes where needed to make yourself attractive.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom