• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Relation to objects and senses

risootser

Just for the heads up
Since I do not just swallow autism as a set of social functioning problems alone and I'm going against the current in which some researchers like to (autistically ;)) fixate. Also focusing on external observations leads us sometimes making erroneous categories and it seems to be quite sadly the fixation where psychology likes to put its eggs into a basket currently without actually doing the deep dive in the name of "scientific method" whereas for example Jung seems to have done the opposite. I'm not convinced of the balance in present day. Science as far as I'm concerned is about making clear that certain intuitive abstractions work within given boundaries. The balance as we need the continuing interplay, I say. Also boundaries of understanding and applications needs to be given clearly in order to arrive right conclusions. I do not necessarily mean analytically anal mathematics way but more in terms of natural sciences.

Towards the topic
I'm actually putting a lot of weight on original papers done by Kanner and Asperger. The important contrast. Asperger saw the condition named after him in terms of psychopathology in terms of personality (it is actually a miracle that we do not have "autistic" personality disorder). Kanner on the other hand sees his conclusions as stemming from pervasive state. Again it is like state of mind (autistic personality) vs certain intensity (autism). Furthermore as psychology started to completely rely on measurments (very poor methods imo) and we begin to see false correlation and causation claims for example regarding intelligence. Also we can not absolutely declare someone's personality as disordered.

To the topic
The intense world of autism as we usually hear - I think that the intensity of external observation and local processing predisposes one to sensory overloads. This one is clear from Kanner's work. However the opposite is true with Asperger's article where he actually said that this part was bit lacking and only peripheral vision was OK. Also aspergerians seemed to have clearly expressed metacognition which seemed to be hardly describable in kannerians. I do not refer here to actual intelligence. I think metacognition is more dissociative than intense and those two are quite to contrary each other. Hence I speculate that highly active metacognitive thinking relates to cluster A personality disorders. (I think we can easily see famous mathematicians who are one but clearly not the another.) In case of aspergerians we do not clearly see insistence of sameness in terms of anxiety. It seems to be ego driven selective obsession.

tldr
So this is quite long and so but please can you explain yourself in terms of the object intensity. Is it innate reaction or just compulsive reaction?

Last edited:
Now l have to think about this. Sometimes it feels compulsive but it doesn't cause me distress. But it's harder to figure out if it's a innate reaction. Must go back summarize my life. Would this separate the better functioning spectrum friends from the others? The others that function a little less except for their innate reactions, so it is harder for them to function in a productive manner maybe.
And maybe they have less ability to step back and say this is black and white thinking and l operate from a 24/7 innate cognitive pattern. Which means therapy is difficult for them to assimilate.

Impulsive behavior is a tab hard to pin down. I think it may involve what areas of your life that society will not dictate the social norms. What truly is impulsive behavior?

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom