1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Rejection... Failure... Tense...

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by Sherlock77, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Sherlock77

Sherlock77 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Having a crappy day so far, went for my usual daily walk, went downtown...

I always go out just simply for the exercise, plus some photography, usually when downtown I do street photography, and even stranger portraits (as some of you may know, as un-aspie as that sounds)

I normally have reasonable success with stranger portraits, when I ask people, the last two days have been horrible for that... Going back to one I could have gotten yesterday that would have been killer (two guys sitting on the back of a tuner pickup next to a coffee shop), they said "no thanks", times like that I just know it would have been such an interesting photo but I'll never know, then I ran into a photographer friend just a few feet away and we chatted for awhile as I agonized a little over a missed photo since I was right next to them still...

Today I had several rejections, no one said "yes", and my head space went negative fast and I could feel myself getting tense... Because I was tense I fumbled one more street photo, at which point I just retreated home because I needed to re-group myself mentally... I went home with a mere six photos, nothing very good...

I know I need to learn how to take a "no" better, and just keep at it, and not get negative in the process... I also think today that I started my day with some negative thoughts around classic car show thoughts (ahem, lack of classic car shows this year, blame Covid), never really banished that thought... I know this is an entirely different topic...

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Misery

Misery Photo-Negative V.I.P Member

Er.... look, I feel kinda bad for even bringing this up, but I have to ask:

Is it even safe to attempt this? What with the pandemic and all... getting close to random people for any conceivable reason seems like it might not be the best idea, to put it VERY mildly.

On that note: if you must do it, understand that approaching people right now could actually be a major source of anxiety and fear for them. Even if they dont show it.

Just... be careful. I sure hope you have a good mask...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Sherlock77

I keep my distance these days with my street photography, no direct contact... I have been doing distanced street photography since March, key word "distanced", and I have done lots of distanced stranger portraits...

I am always aware (in general) that there are varying reactions to the request of a stranger portrait, and in my experience most people don't mind

• Like Like x 1
  4. Misery

Misery Photo-Negative V.I.P Member

Well, that's certainly good then.

There's far too many people in this blasted country NOT doing any of that.

You're certainly braver than I am, that's for sure. I think the last time I got within 50 feet of someone other than immediate family was back in March.

I remember things called gas stations, they were neat.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Aspychata

Aspychata Serenity waves, beachy vibes

I think Misery brings up a great point. These are stressful times for people. A lot more people are going to say *no*.

It's more likely to happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sherlock77

I've gone out for a daily walk every day since Covid, often into urban areas, sometimes to parks... I was wandering the urban areas when they were very empty, they are a little busier now... There is one area I refuse to go when it's gets super busy during the evening, I just stay away at those times

My photography is very much documentary in nature, so being careful while doing street photography is something I've done since Covid began... The only time I went into a big crowd (twice) was a couple of Black Lives Matter rallies (re: George Floyd), for those I wore a mask and only used a long zoom lens, and even still kept as much distance as I could, not wading into the most crowded areas of the rally

Canada Day Covid style, no official celebrations but a few people wandering around

Canada Day 01.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sherlock77

There was lots of documentary photography and film at that time, many of the photographers were paid by the gov't to do that work

Right now there is lots of documentary photography around the Covid pandemic, by both pro and amateur photographers...

9. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

Can't say I've seen much of that here, though it does seem an opportunity for any photographer provided they go about it in the right way and style. Though as always it may be just a matter of being in the right place at the right time with most people off the streets these days.

Black and white photography with a far more serious tone, but it may offer you something you wouldn't normally find otherwise. On a "playing field" that may prove to be wide open for both amateurs and professionals.

Seize the day, my friend. ;)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    • Friendly Friendly x 1