• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Rejected again

Robby

Called a state agency I interviewed with awhile back today for an update and they told me they went with someone else. Ugh. I don't know what else to do at this point I go on multiple interviews and I either hear nothing or get rejected. I am a good interviewer but I have no work experience and being autistic some jobs I just cannot do due to the over stimulation or multi tasking. I'm not sure what to do. I've used some staffing agencies but they haven't done anything either so not sure why they even have me come in. I just don't know what to do. I'm using this agency that is supposed to help people with disabilities find jobs but they have just met with me multiple times and given me leads but nothing absolutely nothing has come from them. I'm just sick of it.

When you say you have 'no work experience' do
you mean no work experience at all?

Or only, no paid work experience?

Have you ever volunteered anywhere?

What are you interested in? Again, I can highly recommend security work. Very easy, and Securitas is always hiring.

I have some very brief minor experience only answering phones or doing filing work but not like actual full time or consistent work experience. I've thought about security but I am not exactly the most imposing person I am slender and also gay so I am kind of afraid that they wouldn't want to hire anyone except big burly men. And the last thing I need is to work in a job where I'd be made fun of, I've already been made fun of enough in my life and I am not tolerating that crap any more. I guess I could try Securitas again, if they can assure me that there will not be any discrimination.

As far as what I'd like, I'd prefer doing something answering phones where I don't have to deal with the general public, at least until I get some work experience, but I just don't see any jobs like that. Everything is customer service, customer service, where you have to be up someone's ass all the time. I hate that kind of thing. I need a job where I am mostly on my own, working independently.

Everything is customer service, customer service, where you have to be up someone's ass all the time. I hate that kind of thing. I need a job where I am mostly on my own, working independently.

True. America has economically evolved into a service economy and little else. All those high-paying factory jobs where you might work independently of others are now low-paying ones found only in other countries. Finding a job that involves minimal contact and interaction with internal or external customers is daunting.

Check out Support.com. They hire remote, work from home tech support representatives. That might be up your alley.

I would do it myself except I'm totally burnt out on IT.

The issue is we are a service economy now and that's why practically all the jobs involve having to be up people's asses. Due to unfair trade agreements and outsourcing which has been supported by both parties, unions have been diminished and good stable jobs that don't involve customer service have been depleted. It seems like every job listing has like a 30 item list of ridiculous requirements. I have used staffing agencies but they don't do anything. I don't even know why they're in business. Plus, I feel like they're just pimps any way. Why is it so hard to get hired? I am a good interviewer and am very neat, well groomed, articulate, I just happen to not want to work at anything involving customer service. I'm beyond frustrated and discouraged.

I hear you. Customer service is about all of the jobs that are left. Welcome to the beginning of the new third world America.

Awhile back I went to a new doctor, he was very nice and took to me. I think he has a crush on me. Anyway, he said he was looking for someone to answer the phones in his office and basically be his receptionist. I agreed to give it a try. Well, the day I went, it was just crazy. I didn't think it would be that much, but having to check patients in, get their insurance, help fit them for shoes, scan papers and stuff, and answer phones, it was just way way too much. it was a shame because the people and environment were perfect as far as being friendly and accepting, but i just felt I couldn't do the work. The girl was trying to train me but I just got overwhelmed. And after two hours I felt I wasn't going to be able to handle it so I gave up and left. Looking back on it (this was just a few weeks ago) maybe I should have stuck it out a bit longer. Who knows. I am kind of mad at myself for bailing, but I tend to do that when I feel overwhelmed. I am just not sure I could be a receptionist because I have such trouble with multitasking at first.

Anyway the doctor was super nice to give me a chance like that. He still calls every now and then to say hi and say he'd like to get to know me better, etc etc. Probably strictly platonic, since he has a boyfriend and I am not looking for anything like that lol. Maybe I should ask him if he has anything else or if he'd give me another chance? What do you think? I kind of feel like I let him down but then after I did tell him I had mild autism so there's that too. I just wonder if he'd give me another chance. He called me earlier tonight just to say hi and if he calls back I am thinking of asking him.

Why is it so hard to get hired? I am a good interviewer and am very neat, well groomed, articulate, I just happen to not want to work at anything involving customer service. I'm beyond frustrated and discouraged.

Since the initial part of the hiring process went digital, it seems employers completely rely on niche slotting of prospective employees. That is, you conditionally completely fit their bill or not at all. That no matter how well the interview might go for you or them, they have become reliant on expecting to find precisely the person they are looking for. And that if they don't see it in you or any other applicant, they'll hold out until they do.

Also, with the sole exception of one or two industries, there are more applicants than jobs available. I used to drive a semi and the transportation industry is desperate for drivers. So much so that my last company's recruiter actually filled out the job application for me. This is an extreme rarity. I wish I had some advice to offer.

I just really want to avoid staffing agencies if possible number one they don't do anything as far as actual placement anyway, and they just don't care about or support workers. They're just pimps basically. Problem is I have submitted hundreds of applications since January and nothing has come up as far as anything I think I could actually do. Other than warehouse work or jobs that require like 40 different degrees or multitasking at once. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Do you think you could drive a mini-van from Point A to Point B? PTI is hiring non-CDL drivers to transport train crews from rail yard to hotel. I'm working for them to fill up time while my main job has no hours. The pay sucks, I won't lie, but the job is kinda fun, and most importantly, not really stressful. At most you're transporting 4 people. If you have questions, let me know. I'll be happy to help.

I've never done a driving job. I drive myself a lot. But driving a company van might freak me out a little.I'd prefer something where I can be at a set location and just stay there all day, so many other things to worry about, not sure I'd want to add the worry of driving a vehicle I don't own to the mix. I want to find something in an office or something where I can drive to and be there all day and then leave. Don't see myself driving around all day.

I have a bunch of applications out there but nothing will come of them probably. I've been working with this career place since November but they haven't set up one single interview for me. A joke. And waste of time. Luckily I'm applying on my own. But no dice so far. Going to meet with this other temp agency next week supposedly they staff for office jobs. But they'll probably just be all friendly when I go in then I won't ever hear from them again after the initial meeting. That's how it usually goes. So yea. If anyone has any bright ideas, I'm happy to hear them. What does an autistic adult have to do to find work that does not require customer service, major multi tasking, or cleaning toilets? It's ridiculous.

Since you really are adamant about wanting a job in an office, the easiest way to that point is a staffing agency. Put whatever feelings and principles you have aside, and walk into one and apply. They'll give you a computer skills test and a typing test. Assuming you're proficient and friendly, they'll try to place you.

You'll have to start at whatever level they feel appropriate and prove your worth. It isn't fun and I've been there myself. I've been placed in all kinds of different temp jobs, some better than others.

You cannot expect to be placed in a top dollar location right away because staffing agencies are loathe to risk a high paying client on an unkown commodity. If you can be reliable, patient, and friendly you can get there.

Right but I've done that. 3 years ago I went to an agency they gave me a typing test said my skills were decent but never heard from them again. Ever. Then recently went to another one at the invitation of a recruiter and she asked me what I was looking for, I'm always, polished, neat, well dressed, friendly, etc, but heard nothing. They didn't give me a typing test. She just said they don't have anything and pretty much told me to get lost. Another one I went to a year ago were very nasty to me, they said I needed a social security card which I had forgotten to bring. This blonde girl there was very rude to me and looked at me like I was pond scum. I won't ever go back there.

I am going to another one this week, the girl seemed nice enough on the phone, but usually they're nice until you meet with them, then you never hear from them again. That's what I'm expecting. And I've been working constantly with this career place for people with disabilities since November, and they haven't set up a single interview for me. They keep saying they're working on it, but nothing is happening. Just talk. I suppose I could go work for Amazon or a warehouse I just kind of hate to go that route. And wherever I work has to be an accepting environment for LGBT people because I have had enough bullying in my life and don't need any more.

I have a bunch of applications out there but nothing will come of them probably. I've been working with this career place since November but they haven't set up one single interview for me. A joke. And waste of time. Luckily I'm applying on my own. But no dice so far. Going to meet with this other temp agency next week supposedly they staff for office jobs. But they'll probably just be all friendly when I go in then I won't ever hear from them again after the initial meeting. That's how it usually goes. So yea. If anyone has any bright ideas, I'm happy to hear them. What does an autistic adult have to do to find work that does not require customer service, major multi tasking, or cleaning toilets? It's ridiculous.
The onus is on you to follow-up with the interviewer and express interest. Unless one posses some in demand skill, one can expect to have to sell themselves. This happened to me all of the time as an IT pro. I was up against every Tom, Dick, and Harry with a bunch of IT certifications.

When corporate America caused me to implode, I became motivated to get a skill that would virtually ensure employment which is why I got my CDL. I know driving is not for you as you mentioned as much but can you think of something to learn that would make you stand out?

I worked with VocRehab and they were utterly worthless. In a moment of poorer judgement, I expressed my opinion to them simply because I couldn't simply play the game of pretense anymore. I could no longer pretend that VocRehab was actively helping me out or pretend to appreciate efforts not being made.

I just feel like going through an agency I wouldn't get any support as far as the autism thing. And I still don't know whether to tell them or not up front, that I will need certain accomodations. Do you tell or not? I told the last recruiter about it, but turned it into a positive for how I am autistic but high functioning and can do many things better than others. Not sure if she wouldn't place me because of that or not, but I still don't know whether to tell an employer or staffing agency recruiter up front or wait until I'm on a job and then tell. I'm leaning towards the second at this point because people have so many stupid biases.

New Threads

Top Bottom