• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello people of Autism Forums. I'd like to reintroduce myself quickly as I have been inactive since my first introduction. I do not announce my legal name online, but you may call me Blaise. I have both ADHD & ASD. My "special interest" is in most organisms of the Animalia kingdom. I'm an aspiring Wildlife Biologist and photographer. My goal is to see how other autistic folk have successfully navigated through a world built for allistics (non autistics) and apply any helpful information to myself. Thank you for welcoming me in 2021.

Welcome back.

310008212_128432433280961_7087423669064950432_n.jpg

Ed

Welcome back.
My goal is to see how other autistic folk have successfully navigated through a world built for allistics (non autistics) and apply any helpful information to myself.
It depends on the local social order in question.
When you meet one [NT], you have met one [NT]... ;)

True! But I've noticed our society (at least in the midwest) is built on NT communication styles (e.i. eye contact shows interest, hand shakes show engagement, good posture shows interest, etc.). All of these things I've had to condition myself to do consciously due to not being very good at any of those. Something as simple as communication style could be the down fall of my future, unfortunately. I'd love to find a place that wasn't built on those communication styles, but I've heard it's basically the same in most of the US.

Your autism will always show a little bit. Masking (when necessary) takes practice.

Masking (when necessary) takes practice.
And it will eventually stress you tremendously.
I have been masking for almost 50 years and lost the ability thanks to Covid and modern communication methods like social media.
I chose not to relearn it. I've never felt so free, relaxed and youthful since my last burn out a year ago (during which I was diagnosed)

And it will eventually stress you tremendously.
I have been masking for almost 50 years and lost the ability thanks to Covid and modern communication methods like social media.
I chose not to relearn it. I've never felt so free, relaxed and youthful since my last burn out a year ago (during which I was diagnosed)
I prefer not to mask, too, but the OP was asking how to.

The implicit question is how others navigate the world:

My way to do it is by not masking (I wasn't really successful while I did).
I must say, I've been more successful with independent tasks unmasked. I masked a lot before high school and eventually burnt out before freshman year. I really hope I can find an employer who will overlook my communication differences, but for the time being I mask for interviews, professional meetings, and group work. Unmasking is definitely a lot more freeing

. I really hope I can find an employer who will overlook my communication differences, but for the time being I mask for interviews, professional meetings, and group work.
I realized my life wasn't going to go the "normal route" waaaay before I even heard about autism. I was lucky enough to be financially a little independent (small inheritance) and freelanced the first my life. Never got any job, apartment, even bank account without other people's help, though. But I always knew what I wanted and what I was capable of, and also my limitations. I always started out small, doing jobs that required less profile. I got to the good jobs very quickly once employers/clients saw my potential.
Now I'm employed because of policies, and again started as an assistant to an assistant and now I'm managing the most important project. My boss knows about my diagnosis and simply asked what he can do to make things easier for me - now every time I have problems communicating with a colleague, I ask him to "translate".

Sorry for being a bit chaotic right now. Haven't slept more than hour this night and waiting for my wake-up meds to work (downside of my job - deadlines I'm responsible to keep).

It's not the straightforward way to navigate life without masking, but it works if you aren't too proud to ask for help with certain tasks that for others seem just a part of being an independent adult (renting an apartment, openig a bank account changing health insurance plan) or since Covid getting doctor's appointments.

New Threads

Top Bottom