• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Redwood Empire Sign in Grants Pass, OR, destroyed in car crash

oregano

So buzz off!
V.I.P Member
Some of y'all may remember this pic that was my avatar for a while:

caveman.JPG

This is the Redwood Empire Sign in Grants Pass, Oregon, which is a local landmark. The original sign was installed around 1940 at the entrance to the then-new US 199 highway leading to Oregon Caves National Monument and Crescent City, California, to connect with US 101. The bridge on the left-the Caveman Bridge over the Rogue River-is from the same era. This sign is a replacement of the original, which was too far gone to save, installed in the summer of 2018.

And this is what it looks like as of 18 December 2021, courtesy of the moron driving that little red car on the right:

redwoodcrash.jpg

Grants Pass paid a LOT of money to replace that iconic sign, only to have it turned into twisted aluminum within a few years. We're talking one of those places where a lot of 911 calls don't get responses due to lack of funding. The replacement sign was erected due to a fundraiser. I doubt that the locals will want to put up a second replacement. Redwood Empire Sign, RIP. :(:mad:

I think the southern, coastal Oregon is one of the prettiest places in the continental US. I remember seeing the caveman statue when I was 12yrs old. The huge trees and coastal rainforests are a sight to behold. The beaches with their tide pools,...a lot of good memories.

Ummm, there is a thing called liability insurance, required by law in all communities, so unless that particular driver was driving illegally, it will be replaced at no cost to the community.

@Nitro: True, but a lot of drivers, especially in poorer areas like south Oregon, carry the minimum insurance required by law, which is meant to pay for property damages and injuries to the other driver in a 2+ car crash. Something like this would require comprehensive insurance, which people normally get only if there is a lienholder on the title, meaning there is a loan made for purchase. In addition, Oregon has no way to verify if a driver actually has insurance, unlike California, so some in poorer areas drive without insurance. (Oregon's method of verifying insurance is rather comical-they call drivers up at random and ask them.)

@Yeshuasdaughter: Yes, I am happy that this jerk didn't hurt or kill anybody. It looks like the driver was going at a VERY high rate of speed, and actually went airborne. The speed limit on US 199 in downtown Grants Pass is 30mph IIRC, and the street is very busy. I think it is likely that the driver was intoxicated, possibly on methamphetamine, which is known for causing extremely high speed car crashes.

The city or county should have insurance to replace the sign. Their insurance company can choose to pursue the driver for reimbursement, if they want to. Glad no one was hurt. Sounds like cell phone texting, dropping a burning cigarette in their lap, or inebriation behind the wheel. Or all three.

New Threads

Top Bottom