• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Redecorating my house

Luca

V.I.P Member
So I live in a one-bedroom condo and I've been living here for about six months. When I first moved in, the place was full of ugly, outdated furniture I brought from my parents' house :unamused:
I've updated it since, especially the kitchen- I've put a ton of effort into the kitchen and I think it looks great!!
My house has conflicting themes right now because I haven't been able to afford a lot of new furniture... my bedroom is very minimalist modern chic, black and white with a hint of teal, but my kitchen and living room have more of a rustic farmhouse theme (I grew up in an old farmhouse and I love farmhouse-inspired decor!)
A few people have complained about the mismatched rooms but I'm actually starting to kind of like it the way it is... I'm an artist so I'm obsessed with decorating!! My artwork is on some of the walls too. And I've just decorated for fall!! Can't wait to decorate for Halloween in a few weeks :hearteyes:
Well anyway, the point of me making this thread is just to share my interest in decorating my home and ask if anyone else has this interest... has anyone else done this? This is my first time living on my own so I haven't done something like this before! It's fun!! And I've discovered that it really helps with my mental health. :blush:
Feel free to share tips or advice if you've decorated/redecorated your home or have any interior design experience! I always appreciate advice :smile:

There is nothing wrong with having rooms with different styles. That's what makes it your personality.

I have a sorta beach coastal which is very popular in Florida, however if over done, it looks tacky. In a midwest state, l did the lodge look which was very popular there.

Teals, creams, natural, stone color, this works well for coastal, with shells, rope.

Lodge was burgundy, greens, leather, rustic and elements to give it upscale club feeling.

Decorating is so much fun. I made a kitchen island out of a table top glued to a cute cabinet and saved about a 1000 dollars. I covered an otterman with fake leather and sewed and staple gunned it and found nail heads to upgrade it. I painted kitchen cabinets, that was horrible. Let us know what you did in your bathroom? I did have a corner shower stall ripped out and converted the bathtub to have the shower head and also replaced tub with jacuzzi tub. But this was a big house. Now l am in a tiny two bedroom. Not enough to decorate.

That's how my apartment is decorated. Black leather and chrome furniture in the living room and computer area with teal and black picture frames.

My little kitchen has a bit of the look of an Irish pub with wooden picture frames. Or what I call "Contemporary Sinn Féin". :p

Bedroom quite the opposite with furniture in very light dover oak and gold colored picture frames. Something of an Italian villa.

Bathroom is in earth tones...light brown colored linen with wooden picture frames.

I can't imagine having a whole house with the same styling from one room to another.

Last edited:
Rustic charm. Vintage oak laminate floors with a high shine. Rough granite fireplace already here, it's beautiful. Had to evict a jackdaw though to have a fire, and add a cowl. Painted white outside, but using orange and red for interior fabrics, they seem to add to the fireglow richness. Cream interior walls.

I've never been into decorating very much as I don't like clutter and decorating generates a lot of possessions. I also hate shopping with a passion close to a mental disorder.
But if I were to build my own house I prefer scandanavian mordern / japanese asthetic. Clean lines, textures through natural materials like eood, cork and ceramics and portable comfort (pillows and throws) to provide pops of color.

It is a good thing I live on a boat though. My hubands tastes are very much not like mine. He gravitates towards victorian antiques, lots of turned wood, everyyhing heavily detailed. Fussy and dusty!

We are into the eclectic, and my spouse makes it work, as I am colorblind. Maple floors with windows framed simply since the exterior walls are 10 inches thick (insulated concrete walls). The kitchen is black appliances with brown tile below the ivory cabinets with lots of (quartz) countertop for prepping and serving. No island or breakfast counter, but with a large surface open to the dining room with a high ceiling with wood beams halfway up. Table is barnwood with nice chairs for a rustic feel. I rebuilt the table apron to move the legs outwards a bit and incirporated copper tiles into them. Otherwise, we decorate for comfort and to enjoy some of the art we have, everything from a Hiroshige woodblock print of a view from the pilgrim road, to a Jim Yellowknife (Lakota) mixed media ledger-art piece.

Our home is a mix of Antiques and toys, old European toys and lots of Polish pottery. My cousin said the home looks “just like Grandmomma house” and that is what I was going for. Her home was my rescue place or safe place since I was a baby. I have old tin toys, beautiful hand painted dolls with human hair, and anything comical that looks out of place. We are also collectors of anything civil war and confederate. The boars head on the wall goes together with the other things.

We never have (nor want) company so the decor just needs to make us happy. We are not social people and prefer time with our pets.

I bought a bunglaow almost five years ago. I have never lived in a beach house or by the beach but this house reminds me of a beach house so I aim for the kitchen and baths to be like those one would find in one. Bright and airy. Plus I love the outdoors and want to be as close to it as I can year round and to that end I plan to put a patio door in the kitchen so I can see my back yard. The rest of the rooms I want to make similar to Bag End from "The Hobbit" but keep a nature centered theme. I already have a lot of wood trim. Just need to paint some paneling and lay new flooring. It's a mismash but I can make it work. The colors repeat in various ways throughout thus drawing it all together in a subtle way. I would not like to live in a place so sculpted that every room was merely more of the same just with a twist based on its function. So boring. I want each room to be a delightful discovery. I don't care what others think about my place. They don't have to live here. I do what makes me happy.
I did my last house and people loved it. It was a Painted Lady. Painted Ladies – Victorian Restored Homes. Some called it a character home.
I love houses and the possibilites that go with them.

My apartment is home to--well, me, and a few antiques. Heavy brown furniture was lots easier to buy used than Ikea stuff new. So I ended up with Victorian, Edwardian, Machine Age, Art Deco, and Art Moderne all in a mix--1920s desk, 1900s bookcase, 1892 organ, record players from 1905, 1909, 1928, and 1929, some '30s radios, a small carved Victorian chair (nothing fancy, just old mass-production), 1940s tables (one dropleaf), Art Deco rotary phone, old wine crate full of victrola records, 1937 suitcase/wardrobe trunk, and 1920s-1950s kitchen appliances except the stove & the fridge which are modern but the junk apartment stuff. There was a small German roach chilling out just vibing behind the glass on the clockdial of the stove. With the green display it looked like a cockroach rave in there. He was alive & I could see him wiggling his antennas.

Oh and the eight-day clock on the wall is Mission/Arts & Crafts c. 1915-1920.

If I'm able to do the bus build and make me an off-the-grid motor home from a school-bus, I am going to do it over again in a minimalist/farmhouse style (because pallet wood is cheap and I already have old furniture to salvage.)

My husband and I decided to renovate our bedroom. My husband wanted green walls. I wanted quieter wall colors. In the end, we decided to paint it gray. We ordered furniture online. When we had it installed, there was a small problem. The closet door would not open all the way because of the radiator which was near the closet. I had seen in some pictures on the internet that there are wall-mounted radiators. This type of radiator worked for us. We found quality and inexpensive radiators on the website. Before we bought it, the consultant advised us on the size of the radiator. Thanks to the professional approach of the workers, the cabinet door opens. My husband and I noticed that the room is warmer now than it was before. That's the kind of fun story I had.

New Threads

Top Bottom