• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Recommend a Tool Set

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
I've discovered that most of my tools (and silverware) were stolen. I know who did it, I forgive them, and I'm not getting them back.

So, I'm online right now, on Amazon, trying to pick out a general tool set, that'd be good for little household tasks, like hanging pictures, putting together simple furniture, or adjusting my daughter's bike.

I'd like someone to look through this page and recommend the cheapest one that looks like it'd do the job well for someone like me. A mom kit, in essence. I don't want anything that's poor quality, and on the other hand, I can't afford anything too expensive.

Amazon.com : tool set

I would go for this on on the page:

https://www.amazon.com/CRAFTSMAN-Mechanics-Tools-57-Piece-CMMT99446/dp/B07RR6FWXV/ref=sr_1_12?crid=2Z81OF9428Z8P&keywords=tool+set&qid=1654719219&sprefix=tool+set,aps,308&sr=8-12

Reason being: It has a regular adjustable pliers other than a needle nose or linesman type. Sockets can come in handy with bolts and nuts. It also has a good assortment of bits for screws that are different that flathead or Phillips head. Plus it's not huge with a lot of pieces that you might never use.

I would go for this on on the page:

https://www.amazon.com/CRAFTSMAN-Mechanics-Tools-57-Piece-CMMT99446/dp/B07RR6FWXV/ref=sr_1_12?crid=2Z81OF9428Z8P&keywords=tool+set&qid=1654719219&sprefix=tool+set,aps,308&sr=8-12

Reason being: It has a regular adjustable pliers other than a needle nose or linesman type. Sockets can come in handy with bolts and nuts. It also has a good assortment of bits for screws that are different that flathead or Phillips head. Plus it's not huge with a lot of pieces that you might never use.

That's a nice set but it's 57 pieces and for just 14 dollars more she gets 173 pieces. And different types of pliers, that's handy to have. So the price difference isn't big but she gets a lot more.

I suggest buying:

A set of sockets & a ratchet (3/8ths drive should take care of most household needs & some automotive)
Big hammer
Little hammer
Hand saw (not a big one)
Hacksaw
Drill & some drill bits, not a fancy cordless one but a regular hand drill

This should do most anything. Also, having one spot for your tools & adding to them as you need them is going to be a good way to, in a few months, have decent tools. Sorry to hear about the theft of your belongings; not sure why people take it on themselves to do that.

I suggest buying:

A set of sockets & a ratchet (3/8ths drive should take care of most household needs & some automotive)
Big hammer
Little hammer
Hand saw (not a big one)
Hacksaw
Drill & some drill bits, not a fancy cordless one but a regular hand drill

This should do most anything. Also, having one spot for your tools & adding to them as you need them is going to be a good way to, in a few months, have decent tools. Sorry to hear about the theft of your belongings; not sure why people take it on themselves to do that.

And pliers, regular and needle nose. And waterpump pliers are often very handy to have, very versatile.

And pliers, regular and needle nose. And waterpump pliers are often very handy to have.
Certainly. I also like to keep a pair of dykes, or end-cutters. Those are handy for cutting off stuff a regular pair of pliers won't.

These tools can be had expensively at a hardware store but for a lot of them (not sockets or drill bits) it's easy to get them cheaply at an antique store, the junkier and cheaper type of store the better. Lots of old tools in good shape will turn up for 50 cents to 5 dollars.

Certainly. I also like to keep a pair of dykes, or end-cutters. Those are handy for cutting off stuff a regular pair of pliers won't.

These tools can be had expensively at a hardware store but for a lot of them (not sockets or drill bits) it's easy to get them cheaply at an antique store, the junkier and cheaper type of store the better. Lots of old tools in good shape will turn up for 50 cents to 5 dollars.
I second that! I usually do not buy kits because the quality can be haphazard. But, for most household tasks what I'd recommend at minimum.
  • A hammer with good heft, fiberglass handle that absorbs shock
  • Pliers; standard, needle nose, locking like vise grips
  • Screwdrivers; at least two sizes of phillips and blade tip each.
  • Set of allen wrenches
  • Set of nut drivers
  • Box wrench set or socket wrench set with ratchet and extension.
  • Good tape measure.
  • Stud Finder
  • Small magnetic level
  • Good Wire Stripper
  • Clamps (as needed)
I like projects for my spouse that gives me an excuse for buying new tools. But I've learned a few things. Buy quality or you will spend twice. You can never have enough clamps.
(Building a cockpit coaming on my kayak)
20160317_153951.jpg

Last edited:
We all can appreciate expensive and extravagant tools...but you don't need the best money can buy. More importantly are the types of tools that you may need at one time or another as a renter- not an automotive mechanic or builder.

1 hammer
1 large crescent wrench
1 small crescent wrench
1 pocket level
1 three-foot steel straight edge/ruler
4 pliers (needlenose, flathead, wirecutter, visegrip)
1 fiskars scissors
1 big 1/4 hex ratcheting screwdriver (does away with needing 50 screwdrivers)
1 small 1/4 hex ratcheting screwdriver
1 set of assorted 1/4 bits (to fit in the hex ratcheting screwdrivers) *

* https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-100-Piece-1-in-Set-Steel-Hex-Shank-Screwdriver-Bit-Set/1002653024

Some of these tools are ok for minor bicycle adjustments, but you may need more specialized tools you can find at a bike shop depending on what you want or need to do. (I was quite a decent bicycle mechanic...loved tweaking my ten-speed as a hobby.)

If you have a "Harbor Freight Tools" store nearby, start there. Lowes and Home Depot will have what you need, but you'll pay much more with them. Ace Hardware? Good tools, but way overpriced.

Last edited:
I liked this set, mainly because it includes a sidecutter besides the other basics. I use a sidecutter everywhere and for everything. :D Plus I like the soft tool bag. Throw in a separate small socket set and I think you will be good.

FASTPRO 215-Piece Home Repairing Tool Set with 12-Inch Wide Mouth Open Storage Bag,Household Hand Tool Kit

81ONM8meaML._AC_SX679_.jpg

I liked this set, mainly because it includes a sidecutter besides the other basics. I use a sidecutter everywhere and for everything. :D Plus I like the soft tool bag. Throw in a separate small socket set and I think you will be good.

FASTPRO 215-Piece Home Repairing Tool Set with 12-Inch Wide Mouth Open Storage Bag,Household Hand Tool Kit

View attachment 80005

This one looks very good.

I concur with Magna's choice. It should suffice for now and you will likely pick up more tools later, like a folding Torx set, when needed.

One additional suggestion would be to get a multi meter and a neon screwdriver.
The screwdriver lights up if a connection is live and you touch the end.

https://external-content.duckduckgo...h?id=OPE.JoJ1LUf%2bIyfPZQ300C300&pid=21.1&f=1

The multimeter is good for checking if a fuse has blown, if a light bulb has blown. You can get them quite cheaply.

iu

You dont need to go for an expensive one but I do find it a useful addition to my toolkit

Wow, thank you everybody. There seem to be some really great suggestions. I'm not particularly "handy", but I do enjoy little projects.

I guess my next task is to look at reviews of a couple of the better ones, and decide which one will hold up the longest.

I wonder what @Nitro would suggest.

I get the feeling that Nitro would agree that, if you want a set of Allen wrenches (keys in the UK), that you should go for Bondhus. Cheap ones just round off really quickly.

So, I'm online right now, on Amazon, trying to pick out a general tool set, that'd be good for little household tasks, like hanging pictures, putting together simple furniture, or adjusting my daughter's bike.

The simple things to consider. Hanging pictures requires a pocket level, a straight-edge/ruler and most of all, a hammer. It's why my picture frames are all level and equidistant from one another.

Just stick to the basics. Not bundled sets of tools you may never need including things like multiple socket wrenches or screwdrivers. Especially if you're renting another apt unit where any serious repairs must be left to your manager/landlord in accordance with a nasty lease.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom