• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Recently diagnosed, interested in nature and homesteading

Bellacat

I'm 29, female, and was just diagnosed with Asperger's last week. I'm still processing a lot. My psychologist recommended going online to find connections and share experiences :)

So here is a little about me:

My main interest is connecting with nature, and next to that is homesteading. I love to explore and gather knowledge about my local ecosystem. If a new plant, insect, or animal catches my attention I won't rest until I have successfully identified it!

My mini-obsessions generally rotate through different types of hobbies with those underlying themes (eg. herbalism, gardening, soil biology, various homestead skills, sustainable agriculture, nature-based spirituality, environmental topics & hating humanity for destroying nature). I'm also an artist, mainly drawing microorganisms.

I become depressed in winter when it's dark and everything is sleeping under the snow, but at least there is Skyrim/WoW to pass those difficult months by.

I have a lot of ADHD traits which, combined with masking, can make me seem more or less NT. It's frustrating now that I'm trying to tell people about my diagnosis and they don't seem to believe me. I have social anxiety and people are exhausting so I prefer to be alone as much as possible. The exception is my wonderful husband who is most likely also Aspie. He joined the forums today too (Drogos)!

Thanks for reading! This seems like a friendly place, I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys :)

Hi Bellacat, welcome to the forum.

So many of your interests are similar to mine. Also an artist, one of the reasons I was in science was so I could draw things I saw under a microscope. Once catalogued all the plants in a children's camp I worked in for the summer. Also use and grow herbs, and make tinctures and infusions and look for plants throughout the summer. Also married.

upload_2019-8-6_16-55-52.png

I actually own a parcel of remote land, and plan on building a cabin totally off grid and living a primitive life. I'm not an artist, though. Ironically, I have a big obsession with electronics for some reason, even though I know that eventually electronics will go extinct within my lifetime, along with the rest of our unsustainable civilization. It's always nice to find primitivists and nature lovers.

Hello, welcome to the forums. My interests are very similar, even thought I probably never will be able to be a homesteader, the skills are still valuable to learn. Nice meeting you.

Drogos is that guy who studies chocolate spider web construction right? ;)

We have many nature lovers here (and animal lovers too as well as artists) so those should be potential connection points for you. Although most conversations tend to be about the Aspie experience. Welcome to the forum.

Hello and welcome! Have you ever considered getting one of those lamps that mimics natural daylight? It might be helpful during the winter. Drawing microorganisms is super cool! I spend a lot of time growing bacteria (in a lab) but if I want to draw one, it just turns into a bean shape with squiggles.

Hello and welcome! Have you ever considered getting one of those lamps that mimics natural daylight? It might be helpful during the winter. Drawing microorganisms is super cool! I spend a lot of time growing bacteria (in a lab) but if I want to draw one, it just turns into a bean shape with squiggles.

I agree with rubicks52 about trying light therapy. You use a full spectrum light and it supposedly helps reduce the symptoms of Seasonal affective disorder (SAD). We have used one for years and although I can't say for sure it works, it seems to and doesn't hurt anything to try. Its called Light Therapy.

I put full spectrum photographic bulbs in a few rooms that help me overcome SAD issues.
They are readily available online, and surprisingly inexpensive too.

This may be of interest as well:
The Lowly Dawn Simulator

Hello. I relate to some of what you said. I do feel one with nature. Especially on beautiful sunny days. In fall, spring , and summer. I like most things in nature. Except spiders and posion ivy. Do like playing skyrim. Hate winter. Cold. Why does it have to be so cold and cloudy. And painting is awesome. How detailed are your paintings of microorganisms?

Wow! Thank you all so much for this heartwarming welcome. I'm so glad I came across this site, you are all so incredibly nice!! It's intriguing to see that so many of you share my interests too, especially about microorganisms! I am so used to being alone on that one so was not expecting that at all :)

Thanks for the recommendations regarding winter! I do keep a SAD light on my desk during that time, and I think it helps. I take vitamins and use a dawn/dusk simulator too. We have also installed some bright blue/white lights in the living room that kind of makes it feel like we have skylights, and we can adjust the colour of those to be more orange towards the end of the day. That's one funny thing about this long dark period, you're tired all the time so the brain gets very confused about when it's supposed to actually feel sleepy!

How detailed are your paintings of microorganisms?

Here is a link to my website with some examples :) Mikroliv

Thank you all again for making me feel so welcome here! :seedling:

Welcome!
We're differing sides of the same coin.
I love Metallurgy, Machining, Engineering, Manufacturing and making things go BOOM!
We both make things just differing methods and objectives.
I do love nature as well - need a balance in things.

I just saw the paintings. YOU ARE VERY GIFTED.I have seriously never seen anything like your art before. Well done. A slow clap to you.:D

I looked at the artwork. You have real talent and the subjects are alien/interesting. I think Water Bears are cute. If I didn't like ants so much I would wish they were the next dominant species of life on earth.

New Threads

Top Bottom