• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Recently Diagnosed. Hi There!

Optimus

Hi Everyone!

New on here. I was recently assessed for Autism Spectrum Disorder after being referred during counselling for low mood / depression, anxiety and self harm. The diagnosis came back as Aspergers. I didn't know how to feel about this (ironically, I can see the irony in that). So I thought it could be good to seek out support for this.

I have misophonia / hyperaucusis (disproportionate sensitivity to noise / sound) which makes going to the cinema or a restaurant stressful. Also, particular noises go right through me (certain pitches and volumes of laughter, whistling, tapping). I am easily distracted if there is anything else going on which can make following conversations difficult.

I tend to over-empathise. It's like I don't want to get into trouble as I'm not sure what society expects the correct response / approach should be in a given situation.

I haven't been in any particularly long term relationships and have never co-habited with a partner. There is part of me that is very anxious in such situations as I fear doing or saying the wrong thing.

On the other hand I understand and get humour. I also can see things rationally (though there is often a disconnect between understanding the reality of a situation and what I feel (if I can understand that). I also only know my 'normal'. So I have difficulty at times in accepting my diagnosis.

Can anyone relate to any of this? Just looking for support and help with processing this.

Thanks,

Don

Hi Everyone!

New on here. I was recently assessed for Autism Spectrum Disorder after being referred during counselling for low mood / depression, anxiety and self harm. The diagnosis came back as Aspergers. I didn't know how to feel about this (ironically, I can see the irony in that). So I thought it could be good to seek out support for this.

I have misophonia / hyperaucusis (disproportionate sensitivity to noise / sound) which makes going to the cinema or a restaurant stressful. Also, particular noises go right through me (certain pitches and volumes of laughter, whistling, tapping). I am easily distracted if there is anything else going on which can make following conversations difficult.

I tend to over-empathise. It's like I don't want to get into trouble as I'm not sure what society expects the correct response / approach should be in a given situation.

I haven't been in any particularly long term relationships and have never co-habited with a partner. There is part of me that is very anxious in such situations as I fear doing or saying the wrong thing.

On the other hand I understand and get humour. I also can see things rationally (though there is often a disconnect between understanding the reality of a situation and what I feel (if I can understand that). I also only know my 'normal'. So I have difficulty at times in accepting my diagnosis.

Can anyone relate to any of this? Just looking for support and help with processing this.

Thanks,

Don

Yep, all of it bar the cohabiting/relationship bit, I could pretty much have written this.

Welcome :)

Thank you everyone for making me feel accepted and welcome. I am still digesting and processing my diagnosis. In some ways it is helping to explain a lot which before just made me feel I was "difficult" or "wrong" somehow. In other ways it is quite daunting and I don't want to end up using it as a reason / excuse / justification / label for anything and everything (if that makes any sense).

It is good to know that I am not the only person who experiences these things though.

welcome.png

Hi Everyone!

Thanks,

Don
hi,welcome to AC optimus,you have picked a very good autism forum to join. ;)
i have misophonia and hyperacusis to,i think a large amount of spectrumers have one or both of them.

Well you probably don't want to meet me face to face then, I have a rather complex tic and part of it is where I need to whistle compulsively.

I also only know my 'normal'. So I have difficulty at times in accepting my diagnosis.

Yes, I can relate to you there. It's taken about two years after getting diagnosed for me to sort of accept it, it felt like other people I've met have it genuinely and then there's me who just spends too much time playing computer games and just getting way to sarcastic a lot of the time. For some of us I think it does take time to sink in. Just bear with it.

Welcome.

giphy (1).gif

Hello Don,
I'm about the same age, was recently unofficially diagnosed by my clinician but still undergoing testing to get to the bottom of it all.
Apart from me being married with children and the hyperaucusis, I could have written your whole post. I always felt different in one way or another and not fitting in anywhere even though I hid it well.
I am just now with the help of my therapist trying to figure out what parts of me are due to Asperger's and what parts are 'normal', if that makes any sense. I've been adating and compensating for too long, I don't even know what my true personality really is anymore!!! All I know is that all that pretending (for the sake of not being a social pariah ), has taken its toll on me and I had a burnout that I'm still reeling from.
For me it started when my 2 year old was diagnosed on the spectrum, then my 18 year old with Asperger's, so by the time I sought therapy I was fairly convinced I'm on the spectrum as well. It came as no surprise to me.
Take your time, continue with therapy and don't worry too much about using it as entitled excuse or a crutch. The more you understand about yourself, the more you can accommodate FOR yourself and find a middle ground that makes you happy.
Understanding will bring you peace in knowing that you're not 'difficult' , you're just different , and there is nothing wrong with that.
Anyway, welcome, good luck and you came to the right place. I have been a part of many many online forums about different issues, but was never able to be an active participant for fear of being ... I don't know 'outed' I suppose. But here I feel like I can be myself and fear no judgment whatsoever, it's like I'm finally among my own kind! lol!;)

i w
Well you probably don't want to meet me face to face then, I have a rather complex tic and part of it is where I need to whistle compulsively.

Yes, I can relate to you there. It's taken about two years after getting diagnosed for me to sort of accept it, it felt like other people I've met have it genuinely and then there's me who just spends too much time playing computer games and just getting way to sarcastic a lot of the time. For some of us I think it does take time to sink in. Just bear with it.

Welcome.

View attachment 33011

try again i get really panicky when i yawn outside (it sounds like someone falling down a well )
people stare but i suffer from insomnia and asthma cant stop it

It is good to know that I am not the only person who experiences these things though.[/QUOTE]

I was diagnosed in February of this year.

The information has made things very noisy in my head as I do all the things I have always done when I try to learn/understand new ideas.

Now, however, in tandem with the subroutine, I am self-consciously aware of its transparently autistic features. This triggers a cycle of false starts as popular to swim meets as pee in the pool. Just as a connection is about to lock, I hear the buzzer scream, and I have to get out of the water and remount the block.

Wish you open trails and clear lanes, Optimus.

New Threads

Top Bottom