• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ratings symbols - possible additions

Thinx

V.I.P Member
I have been thinking I often would like to say someone's post is Interesting.

To me, this is different from Informative, because it may be quite whacky or not fact based at all, but still, Interesting.

It's different from Creative because the post may not be about something new or original or contain artistic content or a new way to look at something.

It's different from Like, which signifies approval or appreciation, but the post might be interesting rather than likable, like say on the recent Sliders thread, people were giving experiences of their connection to electrical effects that were mysterious, and (to me) it was Interesting.

Anyway, I often wish I could rate someone's post as, Interesting. I picture the emoji in varied ways, as a thought bubble maybe? Or a light bulb? Not sure, I am not very visual, any suggestions on that?

Do you have any ratings you often wish were available? And what would the emoji be, if so?

Anyway, I often wish I could rate someone's post as, Interesting. I picture the emoji in varied ways, as a thought bubble maybe? Or a light bulb?
I like this idea. A thought bubble does make sense. A light bulb is often used to signify an idea, but 'interesting' is more than that.

I can't think of anything else, as it seems what is there covers it. Interesting would be an interesting addition. It would definitely get used.

It strikes me that all the current possibilities are positive.
Is there a reason that we don't have something like disagree? I suspect that there is a good reason for our current choice.

I think 'disagree' is an excellent idea.
I think disagree isn't an option for a good reason. It would cause disruptions and arguments. We are here to support eachother not put eachother down. In my opinion if you don't agree with something it's better to realize that not everyone thinks the same ways we do and that's their right, rather than going on the attack.

I know I'm being slightly hypocritical writing this, but I think that's why the option isn't there.

I think disagree isn't an option for a good reason. It would cause disruptions and arguments. We are here to support eachother not put eachother down. In my opinion if you don't agree with something it's better to realize that not everyone thinks the same ways we do and that's their right, rather than going on the attack.

I know I'm being slightly hypocritical writing this, but I think that's why the option isn't there.
Good point.

Sometimes it might be nice to be able to disagree though without having to say so. No conflict needed then.

Good point.

Sometimes it might be nice to be able disagree without having to say so. No conflict needed then.
The problem is you can hit list and see who is agreeing, disagreeing or whatever.
That's ok. It's ok to be honest and for it to be knowable.

Sometimes I do disagree, and it's ok for me to be honest about it. The issue is HOW I reveal my thoughts. That's what matters. It doesn't have to be conflictive, or egotistical. Besides, knowing what someone really thinks can be just as helpful if not more so in supporting. Only telling people what they want to hear may not be.

I don't think we have to worry. We can learn to deal with other people's truth.

That's ok. It's ok to be honest and for it to be knowable.

Sometimes I do disagree, and it's ok for me to be honest about it. The issue is HOW I reveal my thoughts. That's what matters. It doesn't have to be conflictive, or egotistical. Besides, knowing what someone really thinks can be just as helpful if not more so in supporting. Only telling people what they want to hear may not be.

I don't think we have to worry. We can learn to deal with other people's truth.

Agreed, but not all can handle constructive criticism.

It seems all of our ratings are positive. You don't see the thumbs down, poop emoji or my personal one - toilet to show what l think. But then only our toilet products advertisers would approve. This is a pc forum, and we need to stay pc appropriate despite how much we think about things or don't think about things l guess.

I really wanted a single finger salute emoji, but it's a good thing that never happened because I would try to wear it out.

Seriously, learning how to take constructive criticism might be helpful, but at the same time, invite conflict, so don't hold your breath.
The age old saying of "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all" would apply on our forum.

I would like one to say I love a post. The heart is friendly. A hug might be better as friendly and heart as I love this!

Anyway, I often wish I could rate someone's post as, Interesting. I picture the emoji in varied ways, as a thought bubble maybe? Or a light bulb? Not sure, I am not very visual, any suggestions on that?
full
There is a similar emoji, too (but not here).
Do you have any ratings you often wish were available? And what would the emoji be, if so?
:honeypot: = Sweet
(I would prefer a honey dipper with or without a clear jar of honey)​
:tired: = Groan (for puns)

Last edited:
I would like one to say I love a post. The heart is friendly. A hug might be better as friendly and heart as I love this!

Yes I often use the heart where someone's post is poignant or sad, aswell as to mean friendly. Then what I mean is, sympathy maybe? What does a hug emoji look like? I never hug people, but a virtual hug is different.

Agree with Thinx about the interesting emoji, as I encounter posts where I discover ideas that are thought provoking. And the agree or useful emoji doesn't apply and the creative one sometimes seems like an insult.

Rarely use the optimistic or creative ratings in comparison to the other ratings symbols.
Wouldn't mind seeing a peace ✌ ☮ rating to replace one of those.

Yes I use Optimistic less, I worry that it could sound sarcastic or patronising. I do use Creative though.

What would be an example of what you would use the Peace rating for?

It seems all of our ratings are positive. You don't see the thumbs down, poop emoji or my personal one - toilet to show what l think. But then only our toilet products advertisers would approve. This is a pc forum, and we need to stay pc appropriate despite how much we think about things or don't think about things l guess.

Oh wow, a poop emoji? With a little face on... But although it's funny, I think I would sometimes feel hurt if people were putting poops by my posts...

What sort of posts would be Sweet?
Stories about family and friends that expressed loving sentiments, for example. Posts that make you go ahhh...
What do you mean about the similar emoji?
My personal collection of smileys are GIF images.
Operating systems treat emoji like text symbols, not images.
The full list of emoji does not work here, but most of our smileys are a subset of that list.
All emoji have a text version, but not all text symbols have an emoji version.
I keep a list of my favorites at Studio 126 News: Symbols Used at Studio 126...

New Threads

Top Bottom