• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jenisautistic

V.I.P Member
I was watching the movie champions( the movie is PG-13 and has some words and content so I can't show it but if you want to look it up, it's up to you guys) with my grandma thinking it can help her deal with her bias on intellectual disabilitys and Developmental disabilities

If you seen the movie, you might know this scene

Everything was going fine until the scene where Johnny was talking about a group home

She got all acting like a jerk for lack of a better term

She’s accusing me of wanting to go into a “group home” I’m trying to explain to her so many times that it is first of all not like that and secondly, it’s not about her and the thing that I was talking about was some thing I was thinking about as a good concept, and something I may try in the future, as it is actually a set of apartments that were meant to house those with autism but more like a community or each one person would get their own apartment so it would be inclusive and specifically for people with autism also, and I do want to keep the apartment if anything happens to her but there's an issue and that's for another thread

I hate dealing with people who can’t change. I’m still trying to get her give me at least the least bit sensitive.

to tell you guys the truth This frustrates me to no end, especially because her ignorance was part of the problem that caused the downward spiral

I was having back in a while ago . I thought, after almost, in fact, more than 10 years, she would change. i’m a bit angry and disappointment, although I didn’t expect too much from her anyway. because she believes in her time that people like us did not exist. I tried to explain to her that in the day is in the 1930s and 40s people with disabilities and people or LGBTQ still existed. They were just hanging on way and then were killed by the Nazis just say the Jewish people the same Nazis that her family was running/ fleeing from

The thing is just another things of change even an inch she never does

It was especially enraging that they had explained different housing scenarios earlier in the movie

Also the movie had some adult content and even though I like this movie every time I hear anything in or about the content them like or see any of those weird scenes in the movie. I can’t stand it either. No that’s nothing wrong with the movie in the way, even though it was stealing away from the disabled characters a bit and I told my grandmother I told her how it makes me want to cringe and throw up and die in a hole but she doesn’t get it I can never be what she wants me to be. I don’t wanna have any relationships like that boyfriend girlfriend things like that. And I’m not sure if it’s because of the trauma I’ve been or because I’m completely uninterested and disgusted. But I really don’t care although I feel like I will miss out a bit not trying it but I am fine with that because I feel like I would never like it. Please don’t mind what I’m saying too much in the context of how I’m writing it that I am saying it because I am currently writing this through a melt down/shut down.

I really don’t get it she’s usually not mean or at least what used to be a long time ago but she’s always upsetting when it comes in the subject. Sometimes another one or two of my close relatives acts like that too, but I think the other one is more sense than she does that this to my knowledge, I mean on the subject that can be absorbed

I feel like all of this is causing a bit of a identity/existential crisis

Although sometimes she would say things when she was upset about some thing else and acts funny for a reason that I wouldn’t know like world events, or something happened to her that I didn’t see or wasn't there

Edit it is now the end of the movie and she is saying she likes the disabled actors but called them kids. I’m not sure if that’s progress or not.

This sounds really frustrating and disappointing, @Jenisautistic. It’s hard when those people who are very close to us don’t understand and can’t open their minds to the idea of change.

I think one of the important things is that we are changing all the time… Not just autistic people, everybody is. But some of us embrace life’s lessons and learn and change and grow, and it is difficult when people from our past cannot change with us and cannot accept the new person before them. It’s too bad, because they miss out on noticing and celebrating all the progress that someone like yourself has made and the challenges that you have overcome. I wish you had more support and understanding from your grandma.

New Threads

Top Bottom