• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

R. Kelly bullies autistic fan into singing 'I Believe I Can Fly'...

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

R. Kelly bullies autistic fan into singing 'I Believe I Can Fly' and then accuses him of 'smoking percocet' to get high
The rapper admits he was 'tipsy' and didn't realise the fan was autistic

R. Kelly has been caught on camera making fun of an autistic fan outside a club in LA.

In a clip obtained by TMZ, the 50-year-old rapper bullied the man into singing one of his songs and then accused him of being high on percocet - a painkiller.

Lenny Felix was out in Hollywood when he spotted the singer and the 27 year old was completely star struck.

R. Kelly encouraged the fan to sing: "I Believe I Can Fly."

The singer then stepped in and singing into the camera, he openly mocked the man.

"I believe that your high," he sang.

"I believe that your touching the sky, smoking on that Percocet, where you goin' tell me whats next."

R. Kelly has since removed the video of Lenny from his social media.

But his family told TMZ that their son's reaction to the clip was: "I don't want him to think I'm dumb. Do you think he was making fun of me?"

His mum is now reported to have met with a lawyer over the video.

It's not the first time a rapper made fun of a disability fan and ended up in hot water.

50 Cent, Shaquille O'Neal and Waka Flaka have all been sued after mocking fans with disabilities in the past.

After the clip surfaced online this morning, R. Kelly took to Instagram to respond to the allegations that he was making fun of an autistic fan.

"Now people want to say I'm making fun of people with autism, totally not true," he said.

"I was coming from a club the other night and I was tipsy and everyone else was tipsy.

"It was about 2 o'clock in the morning and there was a guy coming up to me, a fan, and it didn't seem like he had autism to me at all and I apologise to him if he did but he appeared drunk to me.

"He was singing me songs and security had to get him up off me a couple of times because he was coming a little bit too close, but it was all good.

"I welcomed the guy, I joked with him, like I do everybody, had him singing one of my songs, I was singing the song, I felt pretty good and very positive.

"But the point is everything I do, I seriously can't do anything without people saying something negative about me."

Mirror Online has contacted R. Kelly's representative for comment.

Source: R Kelly bullies autistic fan into singing his song and accuses him of being high

The headline to the original article (R. Kelly Accuses Autistic Fan of 'Smoking Percocet')
is written to grab attention. Celeb/accuses/autistic individual/drug use.

The implication of bullying combined with the condition of autism
makes for a eye-catching headline.

The content of the story seems underwhelming to me.
I don't get the impression that the singer would have behaved differently
with a non-autistic fan.

Agree with @tree.
R. Kelly might be very douchey for a number of unrelated reasons, but I tend to feel his actions had little to do with bias.
I'm just glad it wasn't an underage autistic female, that probably would have made for a sadder story.

Source: R Kelly bullies autistic fan into singing his song and accuses him of being high[/QUOTE]
(Not written by me)

R. Kelly bullies autistic fan into singing 'I Believe I Can Fly' and then accuses him of 'smoking percocet' to get high
The rapper admits he was 'tipsy' and didn't realise the fan was autistic

R. Kelly has been caught on camera making fun of an autistic fan outside a club in LA.

In a clip obtained by TMZ, the 50-year-old rapper bullied the man into singing one of his songs and then accused him of being high on percocet - a painkiller.

Lenny Felix was out in Hollywood when he spotted the singer and the 27 year old was completely star struck.

R. Kelly encouraged the fan to sing: "I Believe I Can Fly."

The singer then stepped in and singing into the camera, he openly mocked the man.

"I believe that your high," he sang.

"I believe that your touching the sky, smoking on that Percocet, where you goin' tell me whats next."

R. Kelly has since removed the video of Lenny from his social media.

But his family told TMZ that their son's reaction to the clip was: "I don't want him to think I'm dumb. Do you think he was making fun of me?"

His mum is now reported to have met with a lawyer over the video.

It's not the first time a rapper made fun of a disability fan and ended up in hot water.

50 Cent, Shaquille O'Neal and Waka Flaka have all been sued after mocking fans with disabilities in the past.

After the clip surfaced online this morning, R. Kelly took to Instagram to respond to the allegations that he was making fun of an autistic fan.

"Now people want to say I'm making fun of people with autism, totally not true," he said.

"I was coming from a club the other night and I was tipsy and everyone else was tipsy.

"It was about 2 o'clock in the morning and there was a guy coming up to me, a fan, and it didn't seem like he had autism to me at all and I apologise to him if he did but he appeared drunk to me.

"He was singing me songs and security had to get him up off me a couple of times because he was coming a little bit too close, but it was all good.

"I welcomed the guy, I joked with him, like I do everybody, had him singing one of my songs, I was singing the song, I felt pretty good and very positive.

"But the point is everything I do, I seriously can't do anything without people saying something negative about me."

Mirror Online has contacted R. Kelly's representative for comment.

Source: R Kelly bullies autistic fan into singing his song and accuses him of being high
I hate rap and hip hop music and now I hate the rappers too because they are rude and mean to us autistic people!

Last edited:
I hate rap and hip hop music and now I hate the rappers too because they are rude and mean to us autistic people!
You hate even autistic rappers? Because there are a few.
Generalizations are hurtful, whether it's against autistic people or rappers or whoever.

Besides, R. Kelly is not a rapper. Never was, never will be.[/QUOTE]
I don't hate autistic rappers and i didn't even know there was autistic rappers. R. Kelly is classified as a rapper

Classified as a rapper by who? A newspaper who crafted a clickbait title for more sensationalism?

He is not a rapper. Not a single person in the music industry, let alone hip hop, would agree to that.
If the "journalist" couldn't get that right, I'm not surprised they would say that the fan was made fun of because of autism, when he very likely was made joked with, sure, but not due to autism. Because that's a thing: our autism isn't screaming its name in the face of everyone we meet, and sometimes our interactions with other people go right or wrong for completely unrelated reasons.
Anyways, my point was don't lump an entire category of people based on one article you read. You probably don't like it when we're all lumped into something negative, right? Well, same applies for everybody. Hating doesn't get anybody anywhere.

Classified as a rapper by who? A newspaper who crafted a clickbait title for more sensationalism?

He is not a rapper. Not a single person in the music industry, let alone hip hop, would agree to that.
If the "journalist" couldn't get that right, I'm not surprised they would say that the fan was made fun of because of autism, when he very likely was made joked with, sure, but not due to autism. Because that's a thing: our autism isn't screaming its name in the face of everyone we meet, and sometimes our interactions with other people go right or wrong for completely unrelated reasons.
Anyways, my point was don't lump an entire category of people based on one article you read. You probably don't like it when we're all lumped into something negative, right? Well, same applies for everybody. Hating doesn't get anybody anywhere.
Classified by the newspaper and the music industry to some people. What do you classifie R. Kelly as then ?

Your right and hating is a strong and bad word so i try and not to use it but sometimes when im mad or i disagree with someone or something my true feelings come out.

R&B singer. Contemporary R&B is sometimes considered a part of hip hop, but most of the times, it's considered outside of that sphere. That being said, R. Kelly is as much a rapper as Taylor Swift --meaning, really, really not one. I can see, however, how for a bunch of journalists with strong racial bias any music put out by a Black person would be classified as rap, regardless of whether it is actually rap or not. I wonder if they would consider Jimi Hendrix, Ron Isley or Wynton Marsalis as rappers, too. More proof that gross generalizations don't make for accurate statements ;)

But I get what you mean about anger and words coming out differently in such settings, don't worry.

R&B singer. Contemporary R&B is sometimes considered a part of hip hop, but most of the times, it's considered outside of that sphere. That being said, R. Kelly is as much a rapper as Taylor Swift --meaning, really, really not one. I can see, however, how for a bunch of journalists with strong racial bias any music put out by a Black person would be classified as rap, regardless of whether it is actually rap or not. I wonder if they would consider Jimi Hendrix, Ron Isley or Wynton Marsalis as rappers, too. More proof that gross generalizations don't make for accurate statements ;)

But I get what you mean about anger and words coming out differently in such settings, don't worry.
your name is very beautiful Katleya :)

I think the article is sensationalist and nothing much happened. R. Kelly is an idiot and in this case he was a tipsy idiot.

That being said, I think making anyone sing "I believe I can fly" classifies as abuse :p

I think the article is sensationalist and nothing much happened. R. Kelly is an idiot and in this case he was a tipsy idiot.

That being said, I think making anyone sing "I believe I can fly" classifies as abuse :p

Reminds me of the Bill Hicks thing about people taking LSD.
They jump of tall buildings as they believe they can fly.

Bill Hicks was saying - why don't they take off from the ground?

I would insert a joke about R. Kelly concerning his past incidents - one in particular I think a lot of people are aware of - but this forum isn't the place for it unfortunately.

R. Kelly has become largely irrelevant these days (up until now, obviously), so the point is moot.

People may wish they were rich and famous, but sometimes there can be disadvantages too. One major disadvantage is they're constantly being watched and judged whenever they're out in public to the extent that one small slip up could end up with a media scandal and worse being sued too. They are also more often targeted because people know they have a lot of money and may even pay out of court to avoid further embarrassment. He obviously acted immaturely after having a drink like loads of people do, but I doubt that any actual malice was intended and it most probably really didn't cross his mind that the fan might be autistic or have any disability. He may even have done similar in the past with other fans who took it in good humour and loved the extra personal attention.

He made a small mistake and in this situation I believe they should just accept his apology and leave it at that, but obviously the temptation of potentially receiving a decent sum of money could make them take it further and they may even get paid by the media for the story. Sometimes I think the compensation culture has gone too far.

Last edited:
Celebrities making asses out of themselves in public is nothing new. Or particularly newsworthy, IMO. Some just seem to relish doing so more than others. Whatever.

New Threads

Top Bottom