• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Quiting video games for real.

Iamnotarabot

And when I mean for real I dont mean for ever or not even touch them if I am invited with friends, but more like leaving the habit of everyday gaming for good.

How?

I gave up most of my video games that I own on blizzard account, steam account, I still have some 3ds games and a physical 3ds but as this is not in my computer I can lock it away and I dont care about it.

Did anyone do something similar?
I am getting my life back and with all the things I have to do I have clearly no room for this old habits that doesnt provide much pleasure anymore, it was just a bad habit.

Nope.

I love my Xbox, I play it constantly, but I don't play online, mainly because nobody's invented an Xbox compatible headset that works with my digital hearing aid.

Plus there's too many idiots online who cheat in games and get all mardy if/when they lose.

I played World of Warcraft for 12 years pretty much everyday and to be honest used to play other games more often too... But about a year and a half ago I stopped playing WoW, and I'm pretty happy. I learn more things and can devote more time to hobbies.
If you don't enjoy it anymore, then there's no reason not to give it up for a while. :) At first it might feel a bit empty, but you'll find things to occupy the free time. ^_^

I used to be a BIG PC gamer, but eventually, about 5 years after I got my first online PC, I gave up on PC gaming due to problems running almost anything under Windows XP, Windows 98 may have had its faults but at least even older DOS based games worked under it.

I did the same thing, but it wasn't conscious. When I transferred to a University, I was too busy, then during long breaks or when I finished, they just weren't holding my interest anymore. Desire gone! I thought, "Am I getting old? :eek:" Who knows!

If this makes you happier, then good for you!

I still play video games, it gives me something to do and it's something I enjoy. Only game I've stopped playing is World of Warcraft because of how crappily the WoW Dev Team has been doing this expansion thus far.

I still love a bit of gaming but it's become a rarity since I started doing the videos and engaging with autistic people online. I've got some exciting things in the pipeline and it doesn't leave much time for games.

Thanks for all the answers I realy appriciate that ^^

I still love a bit of gaming but it's become a rarity

That's what I am aiming for in the long term, but for now I have to cut from it in a more extreme way, I have my obssessive way of thinking that takes over most of the time and if a video game catches my attention I cant get it out of my head until I played it 100%, so you can guess this isnt realy healthy.

In addition with steam account and all the online stores linked to your accounts you can find everyday something that catches your interest and spend too much.

I realy need to rewire my brain regarding my relationship with video games , I was a slave to it !

Nope. I'm about to put myself forward to volunteer for a position on the Skyblivion mod for Skyrim - the total conversion of TES4 Oblivion into Skyrim's game engine. At the moment I spend more time making mods than I do playing games.

Last edited:
At the moment I spend more time making mods than I do playing games.

Video games arent bad by definition, I mean I learned so much thanks to them and I have so many good memories that I cherish.

But too much is too much you can say, spending days farming in wow or climbing a meaningless ladder in LOL, buying any game that catches my interest and feeling the urge to waste my day on it everyday...It had to stop.

On the other hand you turned your interest into something else that made you learn new things this is very positive.
I am just a braindead consumer at the moment and it needs to stop.

I was pretty much a gamer up until 2008. Just gave it up 1 day. To bad as I enjoyed playing video games.

I'll be honest here: This actually might not solve the problem.

It sounds like the REAL issue isn't the gaming... instead, it's obsession, or more likely, a lack of control. It's an issue ALOT of us have to face, as it's part of the nature of the so-called condition. Sooner or later, obsession simply gains a new target, if it's original one is removed. And then the problems begin all over again. And chances are, you wont actually realize it's happening until it has already completely taken hold.

The real trick isn't simply cutting something out, but learning to manage and control that obsession, regardless of it's target, rather than letting it control you. Been there, done that, myself. More than once.

Hell, gaming is absolutely my main interest and main hobby, always has been... but I don't let it control me. I DO however let it have positive effects, of which there have been many. Preventing NEGATIVE effects, such as addiction, is the important part. I get around this by keeping things varied. Having more than just one hobby helps (and I don't mean watching TV/movies or other extremely passive things), and getting out of the blasted house every day also helps, even if I have to force myself (and this eventually got to the point where I *must* get out every day, or I get stir crazy... so I don't have to force it anymore). I go for walks, I go visit my mom & grandma, I play with the dog, I read books... things like this are what helps to keep something positive in my life from becoming a negative. It's really the same not just for other hobbies, but for, well... damn near anything. Our autistic obsession can focus even on things that don't make any sense. It's annoying at times, but it's a natural trait for many of us. If left unchecked for awhile, well... you run into issues. As you've discovered.

Well I do use my Xbox as more of a streaming device lately, YouTube, WWE Network, BBC IPlayer etc.

I have broken the habit by getting too depressed to really want it.
It usually was pretty limited and not a problem

by getting too depressed to really want it.

Well this isnt realy a good idea xD
Now that you say it, a lower point in my mood may have helped me aswell because I felt less pleasure playing , but I was still wasting too much time.

Keep enjoying video games if you love it realy , I was just asking of other here felt like video games were impairing their lives.

New Threads

Top Bottom