• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Quirky example

I was going through the drive-thru at Taco Bell. I paid and then the employee told me to go to the first window (to pick up my food). So I drove past the next window and headed to the front of the building. My assumption was that if a building was going to have its windows numbered, then the first window would naturally be by the front door.

The thing that really bothered me was my confusion once I realized I needed to go back for my food. I sat in the parking lot trying to figure out where my reasoning had gone wrong. Then it occurred to me I should have heard it as...Go to the first window (you come to). The sentence was referencing me not the building.

Anyway...stuff like this happens to me. I was in my 40s at the time.

Last edited:
I was going through the drive-thru at Taco Bell. I paid and then the employee told me to go to the first window (to pick up my food). So I drove past the next window and headed to the front of the building. My assumption was that if a building was going to have its windows numbered, then the first window would naturally be by the front door.

The thing that really bothered me was my confusion once I realized I needed to go back for my food. I sat in the parking lot trying to figure out where my reasoning had gone wrong. Then it occurred to me I should have heard it as...Go to the first window (you come to). The sentence was referencing me not the building.

Anyway...stuff like this happens to me. I was in my 40s at the time.

They do something similar for the one I periodically go to. Don't know why they even bother because I've never seen the first window open at all- ever. No option but to pull up to the second window.

What I hate are how narrow the curbs and pathways are to get to the window. Have to be terribly careful to avoid scratching the wheel rims. Stresses me out sometimes. :oops:

Buildings in big cites. They say go to the ground level which really means basement but it's too tacky to call it that. The 1st floor is the mezzanine floor never the first floor but sometimes the mezzanine floor is the ground floor, and the parking floor is now called the lower level. Then there are the elevators. Sometimes the elevators are split on two different sides of the building. Or you can only get to odd number floors. Or you can only take the elevator from floor one to floor 10. To go to floor 12, you have to take the elevator next to it that goes up to floor 20. Please, just go to the next window, and stay on the ground floor. Lol, and pick me up a chicken quesadilla. ☺

To me: "Go to the first window." is absurd. You are already at the first window and the person at the first window should have said "Next window please". The fault was not yours but the person's who took your money.

The basic problem is that the neurotypical world around us assumes, quite arrogantly, that everyone thinks like them.

However, that is just my opinion on the matter and should be taken for that and nothing more.

I do that stuff all the time! And I miss read stuff too. The jar of fruit preserves I have says "Jam packed with real fruit". I read this sentence every day when I am slathering the stuff on my toast. For weeks I thought they were saying "the jam is packed with fruit". Turns out they mean the stuff is packed full of fruit (jam the fruit in).

In high school I was on the debate team. My teacher gave me a topic to prepare for our next debate. I heard Youth in Asia. The topic was to be Euthanasia. I figured it out only after the time had run out and there was no time for me to present my debate! Wahaha!

Ye, stuff like this happens to me all the time. Often in cases where one is supposed to use one's 'common sense' to work out what is really meant, I take it literally and and totally misinterpret it.

Me every time I turn into a certain parking lot:

Seeing DO NOT ENTER painted upside down on the entrance to the lot.

"Crap!!!! I'm going the wrong way!!!!!" Oh wait, no, it's upside down, it's not meant for me. I'm not supposed to read things that are upside down.

AHEAD
STOP

Ahead stop? Wait, I'm supposed to read STOP first because I come to it first. Who actually reads like that? How much money did they spend to decide that people read like that? (I have this conversation with myself at every intersection that's marked this way lol)

New Threads

Top Bottom