• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Quick stare then look away.

Tony Ramirez

Single forever. Friends?
V.I.P Member
Don't you hate when someone gives you a quick stare like you are a freak then look away that annoys me when walking on the street generally outside or at stores.

BTW great place.

Yes, I avoid eye contact with strangers, or even looking at them, because as soon as you look at them, they sense it and look at you and make make eye contact. Very uncomfortable and unsettling, even when not on purpose.

Think a lot of that is our reaction though. Someone looks at us out of curiosity which is usual. And then we think it's something about us specifically. When it usually isin't. It's sort of human nature to look for danger around you, access the threats, keep yourself safe. Most people do that.

Think a lot of that is our reaction though. Someone looks at us out of curiosity which is usual. And then we think it's something about us specifically. When it usually isin't. It's sort of human nature to look for danger around you, access the threats, keep yourself safe. Most people do that.
Yes in the past I have often felt uncomfortable in public because of these sorts of interactions, but I've come to realise that it was really my own anxiety making me think that people where staring and judging me when it was simply accidental eye contact and idle glances in passing.

I am a 64 year old fat woman. I am invisible.
If someone glanced at me I wouldn’t mind at all, unless they barfed.

Don't you hate when someone gives you a quick stare like you are a freak then look away that annoys me when walking on the street generally outside or at stores.

BTW great place.

something similar to that happened to me at one point by some girls out on the street that came across me,flirting with me thinking that i'm cute :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: ,and i walked off afterwards thus avoiding them like a ninja,even a girl who i met in high school called me her boyfriend,another called me cute,the unfortunate part:neither girl was my type,but the friend of one of those girls were :emojiconfused: :emojiconfused: :emojiconfused: :emojiconfused: :emojiconfused:

Last edited:
something similar to that happened to me at one point by some girls out on the street that came across me,flirting with me thinking that i'm cute :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: ,and i walked off afterwards thus avoiding them like a ninja,even a girl who i met in high school called me her boyfriend :emojiconfused: :emojiconfused: :emojiconfused: :emojiconfused: :emojiconfused:
Really flirt with you lucky. I had that one time that I noticed many moons ago.
As for school when I was in 5th grade girls called me a hunk I had no idea what a hunk was and I use to get annoyed.

People tend to instinctually look at those in the closest vicinity, especially if a person made a specific or a sudden movement, or if their posture is somewhat 'off' - I suppose it's the same with animals gauging a curio or a threat? Most of the time the code is to just look back for a moment and then look another way. It's rarely to look at others as if they were freaks, unless you do something considered unacceptable, have some kind of body deformation, tattoo or a strange hair colour, wear clothes that are in bright, aggressive colours like red or those that just look weird or shouldn't be worn in a specific place/way. At least from my experience.

The idea of walking close to people I don't really ever do that. But when someone especially a nice looking girl walks behind you I try to walk faster so she won't catch up does not always work they jog and exerciser crap and I am not in great shape. Anyone does that?

Not frequently. If I have to go anywhere where people go, I ride my bike. :)
If I really must walk, I'll wear my sunglasses and headphones. Then there's no eye contact with anyone and I'm not even paying attention anyway because I'm lost in music. Really awesome and often very silly music. :cool:

I get some stares now I have the dorkiest electric moped anyone has ever seen. But I pass so swiftly, with a huge ebike grin on my face. :D

This is similar to what's in your other thread!

I used to think similarly until I started observing my own thoughts when I looked at people. I rarely was being negative when I did this, so any reason for me to assume they're thinking negatively would be based in fear.

Unless you have proof otherwise, why not assume something is positive?
You don’t know why someone glances at you because you are not a mind reader. So, if you need a reason for this glance, make up a positive reason. That is my advice.

As for school when I was in 5th grade girls called me a hunk I had no idea what a hunk was and I use to get annoyed.

the awkward part:these girls in my neighborhood who flirted with me out on the street were under 18,and i did what any aspie the same age as those girls would do:avoid them like a ninja,especially upon eye-contact by avoidantly silencing them like i would’ve done back in high school !

Last edited:

meaning of hunk:a strong,sexually attractive man,especially if you're an aspie :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:.

Last edited:
Are there some non-verbal gestures that maybe you are having a hard time explaining, but yet you know that the person has some kind of disgust for you?

I was told by someone that staring could be people with poor social skills, I can see how that could be the case sometimes, however I think sometimes people are trying to be malicious either covertly or they don't care to hide it. It's a sad world where a good person who does nothing wrong minds their own business gets maliciously stared at.

I am a 64 year old fat woman. I am invisible.
If someone glanced at me I wouldn’t mind at all, unless they barfed.

Wrong :)

Don't put yourself down. You have a lovely smile and a very open face, so that would make you visible :) And carrying a few more pounds than you like to does not = fat!!!!

In answer to the thread, I don't tend to notice if people look at me as I'm usually just focused on what's in my own head. The only time I recall being aware of people looking is when I walked out of a toilet in a crowded bar and had inadvertently tucked my dress into my knickers.

A few years back I was in a coffee shop with someone we were minding our own business and the person I was with when we left said that a specific person was staring at us I knew that person was too. It's happened when I've been on my own in coffee shops or at bus stops. If shops were to review their CCTV they would see me minding my own business and certain people staring. Sometimes a man stares sometimes a woman. If a man was too stare at a woman there there would be uproar. I've had to wear a cap to wear to stop starters sometimes or sometimes I have had to move several times at a bus stop. Them minding their own business though doing nothing wrong have clear consciences. Them staring pretend they don't try and provoke people. I am happy with my clear conscience

stares and whispers.

why shouldn't you get some exercise? who are they to critisize? it's part of 'tard' life, theys gonna gossip bout ya. theys gonna smear ya. you have to consider your own health/development options despite their opposition.

New Threads

Top Bottom