• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Questions for ASDs who have sensitivities

SimplyWandering

Is there a place online you go to find out information such as brightness/noise level/smell level about restaurants/places you want to visit?

If that doesn't exist would a resource that made that available be helpful to you?

I was looking online and couldn't find anything that was super helpful.

I don't know of such a site. I think that an ASD version of Trip Advisor would be very useful.

I would think you could make a reasonable guess based on the place, but maybe you mean very specifically.

Pictures could indicate the lighting, types of food sold could indicate smells, customer-type could indicate noise level.. Maybe. I don't know. :)

I would think you could make a reasonable guess based on the place, but maybe you mean very specifically.

Pictures could indicate the lighting, types of food sold could indicate smells, customer-type could indicate noise level.. Maybe. I don't know. :)

Noise level will also be impacted by ceiling height and how many hard surfaces vs soft surfaces.

There is always a market for ratings sites, and special needs ratings are few and far between. I think the AS community would use detailed descriptions of restaurant facilities. Everyone has personal preferences when dining out, from table size, proximity to a view, booth options, etc. These are usually catch as catch can and accommodated if anyone expresses their concern about comfort and preference. The other issues, such as noise levels, aromas, and lighting would be useful as well. These issues would be of interest to most people, so I am not sure how to gear the rating parameters to facilitate people on the spectrum specifically. There are too many variables to consider, but You'll never know unless you try it. I'd give it a "yes". It certainly can't hurt.

Thank you all for replying so far.

If a service like this was available, would you be more inclined to view this information on a website out or in an app?

I personally prefer a website. I feel apps are too condensed and wouldn't provide the feel that I, as an ASD would want. There is something about researching information on a widescreen format, such as a computer.... but I realize we are in the digital age.

For those that plan in advance lots of detail on a website would be great.
(Sit at home planning the visit)

For those on the hoof and checking their phone quickly, an app ?

I don’t know the difference between the two of I’m honest,

Folk can still check a website from a phone, right?

Why not both?

Or at least a mobile friendly version of the website.

Options for larger print, captioned pictures for the win!

I wish all restaurants provided all information about the foods and drinks they offer but this isn't required by law so they don't and so often lose my sale as a result. Regularly feel like a second class citizen because of my health needs.

If it's one or the other, definitely app, as these sorts of decisions are often made out and about.

New Threads

Top Bottom