• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Questions for a Psychiatrist

Have you been officially diagnosed with ASD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dwoops

So recently I have begun to suspect I have ASD. I have talked with a free psychiatrist from my college, my uncle who teaches at medical school, and my cousin who has been diagnosed with aspergers, and they all came to the same conclusion(without me biasing them).
Anyways so I finally mustered up the courage to ask my parents to help me find a psychiatrist who actually specialized in ASD to help me understand some things and maybe help me with some things that I struggle with. I would like to go in prepared with questions but I can't really think of many questions. It is so weird, I always seem to have a question when I can't get it answered, but as soon as I try to come up with a question I draw a blank. Anyways, I guess I'm just asking for input on what to ask the psychiatrist? Things that maybe anyone else wanted answers to and could also apply to me. I really didn't think this through all that much.
Anyways, I also was thinking about the decision to remain undiagnosed or potentially see what happens getting tested or whatever. Any input?
I'll set up a poll too, explanations would be wonderful if you are willing to give them.

Don't worry, the doc will ask a lot of questions and you will learn a lot about yourself, even if you do not get a diagnosis.

Thanks for the responses thus far... and I just realized I have a typo in the poll. I don’t know how to fix it and it bothers me lol.

Tell them in detail what is bothering you.
Get psych tests and ASD testing if you can.
What sent me to seek psychologist's advice lead
to them thinking Asperger's/being on the spectrum
was the reason behind the things I was having problems
with.
Then came the tests and diagnosis.

I ticked yes, but I wish I hadn't on the poll.
Reason being is my age.
Doesn't seem to be much to help change a life time
of not knowing at this point.
Had I known earlier in life, therapy and understanding
why I was as I was might have made a difference in my
developmental stages.
I don't know.

all I could think was I'm frightened that it's borderline personality disorder as someone had said that.
now it would be why doesn't CBT work as well for me as for people who are neuro typical.
why can't I stop the panic attacks , how do I make myself feel sure that it is high functioning autism .
what antidepressant should I take considering I am autistic , remember this is just me talking .
is there a better description in the offing than high functioning autism?
Will this diagnosis be the ultimate one ? or are the government trying to stop financial aid to autistic people ? I said the last question because Aspergers syndrome is being declassified I think maybe in the UK as autism so the government don't have to pay them !what do you know about the psychiatrist are they old school? that is -is the answer to everything giving you pills, do they think everything is a mental illness,see if there are any reviews on mental illness forums about this psychiatrist.
if you don't agree with them keep trying,I spent years saying there was something wrong 17 to be exact .
The establishment for example government,insurers,social services, education institutions -love paper want diagnosis on paper .
Schools and universities give accommodations if you have a diagnosis .

What should people with Asperger's tick in your poll? Diagnosed with ASD?

Don't try to force yourself to think of questions, let them come to you naturally. You could keep a pen and notebook handy to write questions down as they come to you.

The interview with the psychiatrist is more likely to be about him/her asking you questions, than the other way around.

Thanks for all the input.
To Progster, I believe that Aspergers is classified as a form of ASD. It is a more recent change to the definition of ASD. If it helps, think of it like squares and rectangles, All squares(aspergers) are rectangles(ASD), but not all rectangles are squares. <- feel free to correct me if I have a misconception

Thanks for all the input.
To Progster, I believe that Aspergers is classified as a form of ASD. It is a more recent change to the definition of ASD. If it helps, think of it like squares and rectangles, All squares(aspergers) are rectangles(ASD), but not all rectangles are squares. <- feel free to correct me if I have a misconception
Ok thanks, I voted 'yes'.

New Threads

Top Bottom